Coffeemaker suggestions for regular coffee or espresso (No pod machines)

Options
2»

Replies

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    angerelle wrote: »
    I've been thinking about getting an Aeropress, anyone got any thoughts on them?

As I read this I'm drinking coffee made with my aeropress. I love the aeropress and have retired all other coffee makers since I got it. Small, quick, easy to clean, and easy to get great coffee.

It's small enough that I take it with me on vacations and camping trips. Cheap enough that I think I'm going to buy another one to keep with my camping gear.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    I got a great deal on EBay. Brand new espresso machine for 25 bucks.

Also I have a Keurig and never buy Kcups. I use my own coffee(s) in the reusable filters.
  • LastingChanges
    LastingChanges Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Hey, so I can't figure out how to make coffee with the moka pot, it comes out way too bitter and I like to drink my coffee black. Please let me know how you guys make it?
    I purchased this instead of the moka pot because I liked that it is is stainless steel, but I am assuming it is the same thing as moka.
    www1.macys.com/shop/product/primula-stainless-steel-6-cup-stovetop-espresso-maker?ID=500243&CategoryID=24734#BVRRContainer
    I am also grinding my coffee right before with this
    www1.macys.com/shop/product/cuisinart-dbm-8-supreme-grind-automatic-burr-mill-coffee-grinder?ID=439980&CategoryID=24732#fn=sp%3D1%26spc%3D5%26slotId%3D2%26kws%3Dcuisineart%20grinder

Any ideas on what setting I should grind it to with this ?

• LastingChanges
    LastingChanges Posts: 390 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    If you like espresso or an Americano, I swear by my Bialetti. It's simple to use, makes delicious coffee, and it will last forever (as in, my kids will fight over it when I'm dead). If I want a "latte," I heat milk in my coffee mug before pouring the espresso in. I don't always go through the process of foaming the milk, sometimes I just need my coffee as I run out the door.

How do you make your americano with the Bialetti? I keep playing with it and it's coming out too bitter.
  • Nachise
    Nachise Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I have a Capresso MT600 coffeemaker with the thermal carafe. The carafe keeps the coffee reasonably hot for hours. We also have a Capresso Infinity burr grinder. Totally pleased with both.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Something easy to clean is probably most important. Coffee makers develop resin which is sticky, very difficult to remove and gets in every nook and cranny. It eventually goes rancid and combined with coffee makers being a warm, wet, and dark place, they become hospitable environments for mold.

Mold could be managed with bleach, but I don't feel comfortable putting any amount of bleach in a machine that makes something I drink.

I buy cheap drip makers, try to manage the resin buildup with regular cleaning, and prevent mold as best I can short of using bleach by leaving the water reservoir open and wiping it dry when not in use. Then replace the machine every year or 2.

Coffeemakers are pretty disgusting, and only get worse over time, no way would I put down anything close to a Benjamin on a coffeemaker.
  • frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Hi I am looking for a coffee machine. I prefer espressos/americanos but regular coffee is fine too. Will consider any price range. The reviews online are so mixed so not sure which one to get.

I alternate between decaf and caffeine or mixed. I think decaf requires a good machine so that it tastes good. I don't like how the pod coffees taste, any suggestions?

My husbands Italian and I have and use the exact moka pot his Mom used for years...we did get a nice surprise recently when I picked up a DeLonghi combo coffee/espresso machine from a thrift store recently. We had very little expectations for it but he said the espresso is surprising good and has good head (creama).
  • ekruska802
    ekruska802 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    We have a Technivorm Moccamaster. It was expensive, but it's magical. We make sure to keep it clean and use filtered water because we have very hard water that causes buildup. I thought it was kind of an extravagant purchase, but it's been very worth it.
  • penguinparty510
    penguinparty510 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you have more than enough suggestions, but if it's just one fresh cup of coffee that I'm after, a basic pour over cannot be beat, IMO. You don't need a fancy Chemex, just a plastic or ceramic holder for your coffee, and a pack of filters.
    I prefer the pour over to the French press, because I don't care for the grounds that tend to get into my coffee from the press. But of course it's a matter of personal taste!