Hydroxycut as an aid?

Options
xxcobu
xxcobu Posts: 33 Member
edited October 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Was thinking of taking Hydroxycut to give me a boost and kick-start my weightloss?

I plan on 3-4 40-60min gym sessions a week & reducing calories/eating healthier.

I have a shot metabolism from past dramatic weightloss due to an eating disorder, so it is 10x more difficult for me to lose weight to begin with, let alone shake a plateau.

I need to lose 70lbs for my health (and maybe a little vanity), and want to lose 15-20lbs by New Year's eve. The rest by New Year's eve 2016.

Advice? Preferably from past/cureent hydroxycut users?

Replies

• Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    I've used hydroxycut. It's a scam. Save your money. Read up on the side effects. I had severe shaking and dizziness from taking it.

I didn't lose weight any faster using hydroxycut than I did with a calorie deficit.

A sure fire way to increase you metabolism is to exercise.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,628 Member
    Options
    It's an overrated supplement that costs a lot. If you need a boost, just start and be consistent.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • xxcobu
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    It's an overrated supplement that costs a lot. If you need a boost, just start...

I have "just exercised" extensively in the past and still found it difficult to lose weight. This was with a well-rounded, vegetarian (at the time) diet.

My long-term destruction via ednos has completely crippled my metabolism.
    Any additional suggestions? natural supplements?
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    xxcobu wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    It's an overrated supplement that costs a lot. If you need a boost, just start...

I have "just exercised" extensively in the past and still found it difficult to lose weight. This was with a well-rounded, vegetarian (at the time) diet.

My long-term destruction via ednos has completely crippled my metabolism.
    Any additional suggestions? natural supplements?

A food scale is the best suggestion
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I've tried it in the past and like the previous poster found them to be ineffective. Waste of money.

Most over-the-counter weight loss pills are expensive caffeine pills with a ton of nasty side effects.

In my opinion a food scale, activity tracker, exercise dvds, exercise equipment, heart rate monitor, or new gym clothes would be a better use of your money and more helpful.
  • brb2008
    brb2008 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I agree to skip the pills. A few weeks ago I had a moment of weakness and bought Slimquick. I just felt like peeing all the time and jittery. I really dont think they're worth it, if anything a little jolt of caffiene before a workout may increase performance or at least make it easier to push yourself but a cup of coffee is cheaper than hydroxycut!
  • xxcobu
    Options
    I will probably invest in a food scale and a simgle-serve blender (fruit smoothies for breakfast?).

• boogiewookie
    boogiewookie Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I personally love it. I doubt the pill itself has helped me lose weight but the boost of energy helped me stay active and I do tend to lose more when I take it consistently.
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Do they still sell that stuff? I thought it was recalled after it caused major heart problems for a few people. Anyway, don't buy it. It's a scam. Stay under your calorie goal and you'll lose weight. If you want a good pre-workout energy boost, drink a cup of black coffee an hour or two before you plan on hitting the gym. It always gives me a nice boost.
  • xxcobu
    Options
    I personally love it. I doubt the pill itself has helped me lose weight but the boost of energy helped me stay active and I do tend to lose more when I take it consistently.

I used to work with somebody who used it as a "boost" while trying to shed pregnancy weight after baby, and she lost almost 80lbs in probably 6 months. So, I know some people who swear by it.

I feel like those who don't have as much to lose find it useless and those who need to lose 25+ pounds find it helps get them started.

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options

I used to work with somebody who used it as a "boost" while trying to shed pregnancy weight after baby, and she lost almost 80lbs in probably 6 months. So, I know some people who swear by it.

I feel like those who don't have as much to lose find it useless and those who need to lose 25+ pounds find it helps get them started.

I had over 100 lbs to lose when I tried it.
  • xxcobu
    Options
    Do they still sell that stuff? I thought it was recalled after it caused major heart problems for a few people. Anyway, don't buy it. It's a scam. Stay under your calorie goal and you'll lose weight. If you want a good pre-workout energy boost, drink a cup of black coffee an hour or two before you plan on hitting the gym. It always gives me a nice boost.

Not to be gross, but a cup of black coffee + exercise sounds like instant bowel activity. :s
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options

Not to be gross, but a cup of black coffee + exercise sounds like instant bowel activity. :s
    The bowel activity normally happens right after I drink the coffee. By the time I go workout, everything's usually all clear. :wink:

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I will probably invest in a food scale and a simgle-serve blender (fruit smoothies for breakfast?).

The food scale is an excellent choice.

There is no magic in having a fruit smoothie for breakfast, unless it's magic to you because you love fruit smoothies for breakfast. :)

Eat at a calorie deficit and you will lose weight, no pills necessary.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Its junk. If weight loss pills really worked , then why would we all be on here counting calories ? Wouldn't we just pop pills all day and be thin ? Weight loss comes from a calorie deficit.
  • xxcobu
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    Its junk. If weight loss pills really worked , then why would we all be on here counting calories ? Wouldn't we just pop pills all day and be thin ? Weight loss comes from a calorie deficit.

I understand this... I was thinking more as an energy and metabolism aide.

If you read my above posts, you will understand why. I am not expecting to lose weight just using pills, as I stated, this is going to be a lifestyle change and I am looking for supplements that can help.

I have tried Vitamin B Complex supplements in the past with some success, for example.

• xxcobu
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

The food scale is an excellent choice.

There is no magic in having a fruit smoothie for breakfast, unless it's magic to you because you love fruit smoothies for breakfast. :)

Eat at a calorie deficit and you will lose weight, no pills necessary.

Smoothies was something quickand healthy I could eat/drink on the way to my morning classes/work haha.
  • xxcobu
    Options

I had over 100 lbs to lose when I tried it.

This makes you the first person who has told me that they had an extensive amount weight to lose that it didn't help... hmm. Now I am even more confused, oi!

• tristen_leigh
    tristen_leigh Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    It really depends on YOUR body. You're going to get all kinds of varied feedback because everyone processes things differently.

I struggled with disordered eating several years ago and tried every over the counter diet pill sold. Some gave me energy, some gave me jitters, others did nothing... but none of them helped me lose any considerable amount of weight. And even the ones that helped me reduce my appetite (like Slimquick) didn't work for long and I was back to how I normally felt. Having experienced that, the only thing I lost was money.

I would recommend natural supplements like CLA (it's worth a Google search if you're not familiar) if you feel like you need a "boost" - I don't know you but having struggled mentally, some of the need for that "boost" might be in your head. I know it was for me. Good luck on your journey.