• beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Think eating healthy is expensive?
    imgur.com/a/JbgdX#qurnj19
  • FHMatch
    FHMatch Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Eating healthy doesn't have to be expensive. Buy whatever fresh vegetables and fruits are on sale. Dried beans, lentils, etc. are pretty cheap as is whole grain rice. Buy meat when you can get it at a good price. Have a plan so that you don't buy more than you need. This will prevent you from wasting money and/or food. It will also stop you from having nothing to eat when you're hungry so you end up having no choice but to buy something expensive.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    pdxwine wrote: »
    I am amazed by some of the grocery budgets. How are some of you spending so little?

My budget (for just me) is $450 a month. I tend to go over most months. I do include paper products and foil and such, in my grocery budget.

From June through November, I purchase my produce at a local urban farm. I buy most of my meat at a butcher shop. They have really good prices and their portions are large, so they cover more than one meal. For instance, the chicken breast I cooked tonight weighed in at 11 ounces. I portion it in to 3 ounce servings, once cooked.

We budget around $600 for groceries each month for a family with 2 adults and 1 teenager so around $200 per person- but it includes food for a cat and dog and non food items as well so actually a bit less just on food.

I plan meals. We shop at the regular grocery store. We don't buy organic stuff. We buy store brands. I have a big pot of soup once a week usually with leftovers for days. We consume leftovers. We eat meatless meals a few times a week. We eat chicken thighs instead of just boneless skinless chicken breasts. We don't buy a lot of drinks. Most of our food is prepared at home. We live in Kansas.