Supplements

Options
2»

Replies

• eslcity
    eslcity Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I'm looking into supplements myself (so i'm far from being an expert on this subject)... for the longest time all i used was protein shakes and bars and a daily Multivitamin... but i have recently bought carnitine, BCAA, Glutamine, Omega 3... i got a bottle (3month supply of HMB) for free also... i'm not sure if it will benefit me.. but I will take all the supplements for 3 months if i see any improvement over just protein I will continue... if not.. I will not.. i'm not trying to be a bodybuilder or a powerlifter ... just scary... :smile:

The most important thing to remember no supplement will work if you don't kill the weights... and eat the carlories needed for healthy muscle growth..
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I work in the grocery industry in the corporate office. I often get free samples of all kinds of things from the buyers in the natural living/wellness/bodycare department. I've taken pretty much any supplement that you can get from a health food store and nothing has made any difference other than eating and working out. There are no magic bullets... just effort and consistency.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    kayemali wrote: »
    I've been using Optimum nutrition mass gainer for 3 weeks solid now and have put on 3 pounds in 2 weeks! So I'd Defo recommend, but ONLY if you have it consistently every day and also eating good and the right food so you don't put on fat!

It's also easy to make your own mass gainer if your buying it cause you're having trouble getting cals in and if you're interested! Also may save some money!
    -nut butters
    -oats
    -bananas
    -whole milk
    -nuts
    (Calorie dense foods)
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    If your diet isn't solid, you won't make much progress in the gym regardless of what you spend your money supplementing on. If a person can eat enough protein to meet their needs, then a person does not need to buy a protein supplement.

Other than that, creatine, and coffee as a PWO is probably all one needs -- unless they have a vitamin deficiency discovered by a blood panel and recommended by a doctor to supplement for.

The role of vitamins and other micro-nutrients is way over played in the industrial west anyway -- our diets extremely plentiful in micro-nutrients.
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Daily multivitamin, ON Gold whey protein and high EFA Omega 3.

Pretty much this (I use Nature Made Omega 3) plus some Glucosamine. And I usually only use the whey to "top off" my protein intake if regular food doesn't do the trick.

I try to avoid relying on too many add-ons / supplements because there didn't seem to be much bang for the buck, and avoiding supplements along with any associated regimens leaves me more adaptable to changes in my daily routine. Plus, keeping it bare-bones avoids wallet shock and any rushes to buy something I've run out of.
  • Luv2eatSweets
    Luv2eatSweets Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Spirulina and chlorella in my daily smoothie
  • JustaJoe00
    JustaJoe00 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I'm not trying to sell anything, but if you haven't heard of Shaklee..look them up. Great company just trying to help people feel better and be healthy....lots of products...I 've used lots of em....and now using multi vitamin, pro biotic, and calcium....more to come...
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    edited October 2015
    Options
    JustaJoe00 wrote: »
    I'm not trying to sell anything, but if you haven't heard of Shaklee..look them up. Great company just trying to help people feel better and be healthy....lots of products...I 've used lots of em....and now using multi vitamin, pro biotic, and calcium....more to come...

Looks like another MLM which generally means paying 3x the price for 1/2 the product. It's literally $60 for a thing of whey for a 1lb container.. HOLY CRAP ON A CRACKER that just as much of a rip off as Shakeology.

ps- I literally get a 5 lb contain of Dynmatize for half that price.
  • breelinda
    breelinda Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I have had a abnormal kidney test from supplement, that was a fat burner and had caffeine, everyone is different, if I have medical insurance just go get a physical by a Dr. To forsure know the answer about your kidney s. Water was a problem for me along with the supplements. To each their own tho as you can see.
  • breelinda
    breelinda Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    *u*
  • Full0fWin
    Full0fWin Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Rule #1 about actual muscle building suppliments: If it actually works, it gets outlawed. (in the US anyway)
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Creatine is great but Creatinine is a chemical waste molecule that is generated from muscle metabolism. Creatinine is produced from creatine, a molecule of major importance for energy production in muscles. Approximately 2% of the body's creatine is converted to creatinine every day. Creatinine is transported through the bloodstream to the kidneys. The kidneys filter out most of the creatinine and dispose of it in the urine.

Because the muscle mass in the body is relatively constant from day to day, the creatinine production normally remains essentially unchanged on a daily basis.

http://www.medicinenet.com/creatinine_blood_test/article.htm