Has anyone given up refined sugar???

Options
If so do you have any advice on how to make the transition so you don't relapse??

Replies

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    Nope, I'm a firm believer in not restricting myself. I try to eat it all in moderation as it usually has limited nutritional value and I have only a limited amount of calories. but I generally have ice cream every night and am currently munching on lucky charms
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Why would I do that? It makes things yummy, right?
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    No I haven't, but I'm sure there are some threads where people have tried.
  • flippy1234
    flippy1234 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Trying not to eat too much of it but it's hard to give up totally. I allow myself treats.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Don't worry OP...there will be people who do this, they will probably be along eventually talking about the evils of sugar

Then this thread will descend into the abyss like so many others of its sort

If you want to give up sugar to hit your calorie defecit, then good luck...wouldn't work for me I like baking and ice cream and all da foodz..and that everything in moderation approach worked for me
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Not specifically no.

I'm sure I probably eat less now than I used to, simply because I'm eating less calories/food overall than I used to. But I don't go out of my way looking to reduce sugar (or any one particular thing) specifically.
  • gypsyrose85
    gypsyrose85 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Caitwn wrote: »
    If so do you have any advice on how to make the transition so you don't relapse??

Nope. I don't feel that's an approach that's healthy for me - total elimination seems to set up a sort of white-knuckle "I won't I won't I won't" then binge or cravings cycle that just seemed crazy to me (just talking about myself here, by the way), especially since I don't feel that any food is necessarily "bad" in and of itself. It's a matter of developing OVERALL eating patterns that support my health and fitness goals, rather than pointing the finger at any specific food or nutrient.

I did cut waaaay back on refined sugar for a few months so that I could re-assess the way I handle sugars. That worked well for me, so now I treat foods with refined sugar as an occasional treat rather than including them as a daily part of my food intake.

My problem is I am a all or nothing girl. I had quit soda cold turkey for 6 months. I had surgery and was throwing up so drank ginger ale...got hooked again :( smoking cigarettes same thing. I had one after 4 years of not smoking and then kept doing it for 2months the cold turkey again. My impulse control sucks. (I have a few brain tumors which affect the way I think and process stuff)
  • sparky00721
    sparky00721 Posts: 113 Member
    Options

My problem is I am a all or nothing girl.

I am on day 4 of the 30 day 'Whole30" eating approach, which seems essentially to be a strict Paleo-type diet designed to eliminate, for a 30 day period, ALL added sugar (in addition to all dairy, all grains, all legumes, all booze - the latter restriction has forced me to come up with a new breakfast plan). This might be of interest for you if you are an all or nothing sort of person.

It is still too early for me to say, but I am feeling great so far, and giving up the sugar did not seem that hard for some reason, perhaps because it is buried in such an over-all restrictive diet. I am even drinking black coffee now (instead of how I used to take it: double cream, double sugar, with a shooter of donut or three on the side). I made my own mayonnaise yesterday, just to avoid the added sugar in commercially-prepared mayonnaise.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options

We've been greatly limiting added sugar, we both have maybe 5-10 grams daily from added sugars. I'm not the best on avoiding it after I start eating it. So for me the way to not go wacko on it is don't start eating it. I know it's hard to avoid, the way I did it was examine everything that we eat. Ketchup was the thing that surprised me the most, almost 25% sugar.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I don't eat much of it so i've never worried about giving it up. I don't eat much in the way of processed foods and what I do eat is minimally processed and not much, if any added sugar and I don't add sugar to anything I cook on a regular basis.

I do enjoy a desert treat most nights...usually some kind of dark chocolate but occasionally something fun like jelly beans or a cookie. really, my intake of refined sugar is pretty negligible relative to my overall diet, so I just don't worry about it.

If I was sucking down multiple 40 ounce Big Gulps daily or something, I might sing a different tune
  • lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Yes, I gave it up years ago. For me, the difficult part was getting through the first two weeks. Since you're giving up refined sugar, you can substitute fruit or dried fruit. If you find yourself struggling, these cookies are delicious and so easy to make. I obviously make them without the chocolate chips.

http://detoxinista.com/2014/07/the-healthiest-cookies-ever-paleo-vegan/

Good luck!
  • curves2j
    curves2j Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    try doing paleo. it cuts out refined sugars but in moderation you can still eat other natural sugars/sweeteners.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    lucys1225 wrote: »
    Yes, I gave it up years ago. For me, the difficult part was getting through the first two weeks. Since you're giving up refined sugar, you can substitute fruit or dried fruit. If you find yourself struggling, these cookies are delicious and so easy to make. I obviously make them without the chocolate chips.

http://detoxinista.com/2014/07/the-healthiest-cookies-ever-paleo-vegan/

Good luck!

May I ask why you would replace sugar with sugar?
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Nope.
  • gypsyrose85
    gypsyrose85 Posts: 206 Member
    Options

Nope. I don't feel that's an approach that's healthy for me - total elimination seems to set up a sort of white-knuckle "I won't I won't I won't" then binge or cravings cycle that just seemed crazy to me (just talking about myself here, by the way), especially since I don't feel that any food is necessarily "bad" in and of itself. It's a matter of developing OVERALL eating patterns that support my health and fitness goals, rather than pointing the finger at any specific food or nutrient.

I did cut waaaay back on refined sugar for a few months so that I could re-assess the way I handle sugars. That worked well for me, so now I treat foods with refined sugar as an occasional treat rather than including them as a daily part of my food intake.

My problem is I am a all or nothing girl. I had quit soda cold turkey for 6 months. I had surgery and was throwing up so drank ginger ale...got hooked again :( smoking cigarettes same thing. I had one after 4 years of not smoking and then kept doing it for 2months the cold turkey again. My impulse control sucks. (I have a few brain tumors which affect the way I think and process stuff)

OK, fair enough. You know that about yourself, and that's a good thing. I'd just like to point out, though - using your smoking as an example - that you DID in fact succeed with smoking. Relapsing is part of recovery, and you quit after two months. That's a victory. Own it and realize that you obviously DO have a lot of the skills needed to succeed in maintaining healthy eating habits over the long term (however you end up defining them).

Without wanting to completely dissect your personal situation, in general it might be a good idea to maybe analyze more specifically what goes on with you and refined sugar (not saying you should do it on these boards - that often doesn't go well =P).

The problem with taking an all-or-nothing approach to refined sugar is it puts you in a position where you have to be a little obsessive about checking ingredients, and putting a whole lot of foods into a black/white good/bad category. And that, in and of itself, can lead to unhealthy eating patterns.

But consider taking a closer look at what specific foods are problematic for you - and how they're problems. Do they lead to binges, or do you just generally feel they aren't good for you? Is this more about specific emotional states or circumstances that lead to craving sugar? If so, then focus more on developing good coping strategies to deal with those states or circumstances, because sugar there is the symptom, not the problem.

You're probably doing better than you think you are. Just sayin.

Pretty much any baked good or sweet. I will just eat and eat anything starchy or sugary.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    unless you have a medical condition there is absolutely no need to give up sugar...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    curves2j wrote: »
    try doing paleo. it cuts out refined sugars but in moderation you can still eat other natural sugars/sweeteners.

so you are replacing sugar with sugar?