non-packaged/processed breakfast choices?

Options
I'm trying to eat less processed food, but breakfast in particular is giving me trouble. There is only so much yogurt and fruit I can eat. What are some of the foods you eat for breakfast and mid-morning snacks that are minimally processed and more or less healthy?

Replies

• lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I make a huge roasted vegetable and egg casserole and eat it throughout the week.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Oats, eggs...
  • curves2j
    curves2j Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I eat nontraditional breakfasts all the time. try making homemade ground chicken patties or turkey sausages. instead of hash browns I do a sweet potato hash with ground chicken and lots of veggies. so so good and gets me started off right with the protein and the veggies.
  • denelifet
    denelifet Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    one whole egg with 4 egg whites and coffee is my go-to everyday but if I need more carbs i'll cook up some steel cut oatmeal with natty pb to go along with it.

I'm a BIG coffee drinker so for my morning snack it's coffee with a half a scoop of Natures Best Java Pro protein...various flavors....I do a half a scoop with each cup of coffee...normally 2 cups at work so one full scoop.
  • sandygiz
    sandygiz Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    how about some healthy muffins if you like that sort of thing? I've made cranberry & orange and cranberry & apple recipes recently. They freeze well too.
  • Calimama123
    Calimama123 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Pretty much everyday I nade a burrito with a whole wheat tortilla. Sometimes its btrakfast like fullings, usually not. Usually I do beans/brown rice which is already cooked, a little cheese or sour cream, salsa, hot sauce. Sometimes ill do an egg/veggie scramble and throw that in if I have time
  • bigme3505
    bigme3505 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. I don't eat eggs, so that narrows down the breakfast menu, but I've still got plenty of options. I've just got to put a little effort and prep time into it the night before, or wake up earlier...
    @denelifet , I've never heard of protein powder in coffee. Does it taste okay? I too drink a lot of coffee.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Cooked cereals, even nicer now that it's getting colder. Red River cereal, steel cut oats, regular oat cereal. I usually have them with berries and the ever-present yogurt. Or cook them with raisins or currants. You may also add nuts.

My favourite breakfast at the moment is 1/2 cup Red River cereal, 1/2 cup steel cut oats, 4 cups water. Bring to a boil then turn off the heat. Cover. Let sit overnight. In the morning, stir. I take 1/2 cup to eat right away and put the rest in mason jars for the rest of the week.

Overnight refrigerator oats. I make them by mixing 1/3 cup flaked oats with 1 cup regular yogurt and frozen fruit. Let it soak overnight.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Why not eat non-traditional breakfast foods? Whatever you might normally eat for lunch or dinner?
  • denelifet
    denelifet Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    @bigme3505...it's ok...I'm finishing up the expresso flavor and will move onto the mocha...a friend recommended the mocha but I've yet to break into it and see if it's any better than the expresso.

The expresso is do-able to me once I got used to it...it's no Starbucks or sweet cappuccino! lol
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    Why not eat non-traditional breakfast foods? Whatever you might normally eat for lunch or dinner?

Yeah, I've been known to have a bowl of oatmeal and a pork chop.
    Had leftover fried rice and some orange chicken last week for breakfast too.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal?
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Refrigerator oatmeal, or crustless quiche or fritatta. I can bake a quiche and eat it all week.
  • bigme3505
    Options
    Somehow I think I've managed to make it my entire life without trying oatmeal. I'll have to give it a shot. As for non-breakfast foods for breakfast, that certainly sounds doable, but it's a mindset I'll have to change. Fried rice for breakfast? Hmm...
  • MeiannaLee
    MeiannaLee Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    -Oatmeal with pb and fruit
    -Smoothies with fruit, powder and vanilla almond milk
    -Omelettes
    -Whole wheat, none refined toast with half an avacado.
    -Quest bars, im sure u no what these are ;)
  • DisneyDude85
    DisneyDude85 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    MeiannaLee wrote: »
    -Oatmeal with pb and fruit
    -Smoothies with fruit, powder and vanilla almond milk
    -Omelettes
    -Whole wheat, none refined toast with half an avacado.
    -Quest bars, im sure u no what these are ;)

Avocado toast is the bees knees! Its a regular in my breakfast rotation :)
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    bigme3505 wrote: »
    Somehow I think I've managed to make it my entire life without trying oatmeal. I'll have to give it a shot. As for non-breakfast foods for breakfast, that certainly sounds doable, but it's a mindset I'll have to change. Fried rice for breakfast? Hmm...

Oatmeal newbie (?!)

Keep in mind there are different oatmeal options that result in different textures.

Instant oats are steamed & rolled thin. The cooked texture is much like baby food (not a fan). But would be good in something like overnight oats (oats mixed with fruit, yogurt...stored in the fridge).

Rolled or old fashioned oats are steamed and rolled (less).....they are thicker. There is more texture to these. They take 5 minutes to cook, but you can cook them less.

Steel Cut oats. These are completely raw & generally cooked for 20-30 minutes. Because these aren't rolled, the texture is much different. Almost like chewy little buds. If you cook these the longest amount of time.....you get the baby food texture thing again.

Oatmeal can be sweet OR savory.
  • Linzon
    Linzon Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    If I don't feel like making anything and we have leftovers I'll have those. This morning I had pork tenderloin and some fresh berries. Other mornings, cold pizza eaten over the sink because I'm an adult.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    bigme3505 wrote: »

I'm not really a big fan of oatmeal, but refrigerator oatmeal you add yogurt, milk, and a fruit to, so it's more like a custard type food. One of my most favorite things in the world to eat for breakfast is cold Chinese or Japanese food leftovers.
  • bigme3505
    Options
    To clarify, is "refrigerator oatmeal" an actual thing, a type of oatmeal, or just a way to prepare regular old oatmeal? I'm ignorant in this matter...and lots of other matters too. I'm just ignorant all around.