T25 - I'm obese

Hello!

I'd like to get your reviews about T25.
Not just the "marvellous" revieuws you can find on the Internet where everything is magical and oh Shakeology is the best thing on Earth.

My BMI is a little above 38 so I'm obese and I know there's a modifier in this program. But has anyone ever completed the program without injury at this weight or above? (I'm 5'2 and 218lb/99kg?
I plan to wait a little probably, like a month or two but I'd like your advices.

Oh also, have you been pleased with the results?

Thanks!

Replies

• hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    218 isn't bad for starting out -- just start slow (follow the modifier or even slower -- just concentrate on learning how to do the stuff -- don't worry about keeping up with the pace). I started at a BMI of around 34, and found it was well worth the 30 minutes a day. Don't waste your money with the Shakeology silliness -- just use the MFP calorie and macro settings and roll on.
  • Soundwave79
    Soundwave79 Posts: 469 Member
    I recommend when you start do a zero week first. Meaning you do the first week but you do it very slowly. Familiarize yourself with the workouts, get a feel for the movements and transitions, try out the modified vs. unmodified versions. Just do the vids at like 50%. This will also lesson some of the DOMS you are bound to feel in the first week. Then after the zero week restart the program and follow it for real. The modified moves in T25 are designed to challenge you enough to transition you to the unmodified version. The Alpha phase is HEAVY on the legs (calves in particular) so I recommend working on stretching your calves, glutes, hamstrings etc now so you don't pull something.

I started with T25 2 years ago... it's a great program to start with. You WILL get results if you follow it correctly and your diet is in check. You may have to do the Alpha phase a few times before you can follow along with Shaun without modifying. That's ok, it's not a race. :)
  • JayWalk39
    JayWalk39 Posts: 68 Member
    T25 is a great workout, but you need to remember that 80% (or more) of the results are going to attributed to your diet...so make sure you get that in check.

Also, why wait a month or two? Commit and just do it!
  • gunrock1970
    gunrock1970 Posts: 45 Member
    I started T25 with a BMI of 35 and weight of 287lbs. It's hard work but do-able. After much yo-yo-ing, I'm now at 277lbs but with less fat and more muscle after about eighteen months (less time than that in reality; I've had time out due to broken limbs and a bereavement).

Ditto the Shakeology. No need for that. Count your calories and expect your weight to go up a bit at first if you haven't been active for a while.
  • ryanaparker
    ryanaparker Posts: 1 Member
    With T25 be mindful that it does contain quite a bit of squat lunges, Max 30 is a better overall workout and includes a modifier.

A free alternative would be a chap on YouTube called Millionaire Hoy
  • theawill519
    theawill519 Posts: 242 Member
    I've never done T25, but I would encourage you to go for it. I started out at 299 lbs doing 30DS and Zumba. It was really, really hard for a while, but I'm in better shape now than I've been since high school and I'm still 229 lbs! Just get started with SOMETHING and take it at your own pace. Also, as previous posters have said, diet is of ultimate importance! Good luck!
  • soechsner09
    soechsner09 Posts: 119 Member
    I did Insanity at 230, so I'm sure you'll be fine. Everything can be modified. Heck, I've modified the modifier and still saw results. Start slowly. Do what you can but don't overdo it because you don't want injuries either. Best of luck to you! :)
  • eeede
    eeede Posts: 88 Member
    Thanks everyone for your support and advice. :)
    JayWalk39 wrote: »
    Also, why wait a month or two? Commit and just do it!

I want to wait a little so I'm a little less heavy, and also be in a better shape because T25 seems very intense.
    I've been exercising for 2 months+ : walk, bike, swimming.
    So I'd not stay two months in my sofa, just trying to get a little bit better so I can do OK with T25.

A week zero seems a good idea!
  • eeede
    I did Insanity at 230, so I'm sure you'll be fine. Everything can be modified. Heck, I've modified the modifier and still saw results. Start slowly. Do what you can but don't overdo it because you don't want injuries either. Best of luck to you! :)

How tall are you?
  • gunrock1970
    eeede wrote: »
    I want to wait a little so I'm a little less heavy, and also be in a better shape because T25 seems very intense.
    So I'd not stay two months in my sofa, just trying to get a little bit better so I can do OK with T25.

I'd do some of the free youtube Tony Horton Ten Minute Trainer workouts. If you can two or three in a row (20 - 30 minutes) after two months, start T25. You'll almost be ready!
  • stircrzy
    stircrzy Posts: 47 Member
    I'm doing 21 day fix extreme and one of my best friends is doing t25. I agree with many of the poster is above. Start out slow with modifiers. Obviously you'll get the best results if you stick to the meal plan. I also agree, don't wait to get started, start now! You will be in great shape by the first of the year.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    eeede wrote: »

I'd do some of the free youtube Tony Horton Ten Minute Trainer workouts. If you can two or three in a row (20 - 30 minutes) after two months, start T25. You'll almost be ready!

That is, if you can stand Tony Horton. Shaun T (the T25 leader) is a lot of fun...I could never get past my extreme dislike of Tony's personality. YMMV.
  • gunrock1970
    Yeah, he's kind of a dork, but there you go! My wife doesn't like him much either. Me, I don't mind him too much. I think the difference is that Shaun T exudes more enthusiasm and motivational skill than Tony, and Tony gives off a smart-*kitten* air.
  • Soundwave79
    Soundwave79 Posts: 469 Member
    With Tony it's a Rhode Island thing. Being a fellow Rhode Islander I pick up on alot of his inside jokes. But after you've done the same DVD 5+ times it does start to get old.
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    hill8570 wrote: »
    That is, if you can stand Tony Horton. Shaun T (the T25 leader) is a lot of fun...I could never get past my extreme dislike of Tony's personality. YMMV.
    He yammers on endlessly like Denise Austin, Tony that is.. The workouts are great, but geez.
  • danika2point0
    danika2point0 Posts: 197 Member
    T25 is very intense. I did it after doing Insanity and nearly found it more challenging because there were no breaks. If you are looking for things to ease you in, perhaps, try some shorter HIIT exercises on FitnessBlender...this will give you a feel for the higher intensity levels but in an accessible way. https://www.fitnessblender.com/videos You can even choose your 'level' and request low impact if that's an issue of concern. I do believe you can do T25, but as many of the other posters said, you most likely will need to do a good deal of modifications. For that reason, I'd say start out with the free Fitness Blender videos and work your way up. Good luck x
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    I think it's great that you want to try this, but I will be blunt - because I've done this myself - stop putting it off. You do not need to wait for anything. It's amazing how we talk ourselves out of doing the things we know will help us. Just do it now. Do it NOW!!!! As others have said, start slow, and make sure you first learn all the movements. Take your time with them. Build up to doing the modified routine, then the regular routine. But really, there is no excuse you can use to "wait". Every day you work at it is a day you'll improve. You've got this, you can do it!!
  • FabianRodriguez94
    FabianRodriguez94 Posts: 221 Member
    You'll be fine, I was at around 220 lbs, 5'7" when I did it for my first time and didn't need to modify nearly as much as I thought I would. Even did beta with close to no modification.

Just go at your own pace and modify if you feel you may hurt yourself during certain moves.

• eboniivoried
    eboniivoried Posts: 34 Member
    T25 is great for beginners and mid-level as well. I did T25 when I was overweight, albeit in conjunction with strength training. I did hurt myself after strength training legs and doing T25 (lots of hops, jumps, lunges, and squats)... My legs gave out while walking down the stairs because they couldn't support my bodyweight the day after the workouts!! Lol. Make sure if you're doing a combination of things, like I did, that you give yourself a rest day and/or skip the T25 if you're doing heavy strength training as well. T25 is heavy on cardio, so I always recommend some additional strength training.
  • eeede
    edited October 2015
    I think it's great that you want to try this, but I will be blunt - because I've done this myself - stop putting it off. You do not need to wait for anything. It's amazing how we talk ourselves out of doing the things we know will help us. Just do it now. Do it NOW!!!!

Is it so crazy I don't want to injure myself?
    At my weight there's a real risk I guess, unfortunately. If I were sure it was safe, I'd have started at the beginning - I was over 250lbs (120kg).

I've been doing for 2.5 months : walk, stationnery bike, swimming and yday I ran for 5minutes (yes, not much, but I hope to be consistent with it and increase time/speed slowly).
    I do at least 6hours of exercice a week. So I'm doing something now.

I really appreciate your advices everyone :smile:
    I guess I'll follow your advices and start slowly with fitness blender and a week zero.