Training for 10k - overriding treadmill 60 min max?

Options
2»

Replies

• danielssmith
    danielssmith Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on you run. I am just behind you, I@m up to 8K. I have a month to get to 10 and I am pretty confident that I will get than and so will you.
    I think, as someone has said, they have marathon mode. Don't use the quick start function as that is limited to 60 minutes. I select marathon using the up key and just keep pushing the time up above an hour and it goes into marathon mode.
  • michellepearson224
    michellepearson224 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I think my favourite piece of advice is to push my speed up every time - gonna try that :smile:
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I think my favourite piece of advice is to push my speed up every time - gonna try that :smile:

To increase your speed, it's better to incorporate tempo runs and interval training rather than just trying to do your long runs faster.

I'm not an expert runner (so anyone who knows more about this and wants to correct me if I'm making erroneous statements anywhere here, please go ahead) but everything I've been reading suggests that the way to do it if you're running several times per week is to do 1- 2 long, slow runs (increasing the mileage each week - these would be your 4-6 mile runs if you're training for 10K, at a pace that feels comfortable and where you can still talk comfortably) and then have your others be different kinds of runs:

a) tempo, where you do a mile at your comfortable pace, then a mile about 1 min/mile faster than that pace (so if you normally do 10 min miles/6 mph, you'd do a mile at a 9 min mile/6.7 mph pace), then do another mile at your comfortable pace (and then increase the "tempo" distance weekly or every second week, so you're ultimately running 2-4 miles at the faster pace.)

b) speed intervals, where you sprint 200 m, walk 200 m, and repeat 5 times (increasing the sprint distances weekly or every second week), with an easy 1-2 mile run afterwards. Lots of treadmills even have a setting for this or a button to quickly toggle between two speeds.

c) hills, where you either sprint up and walk down for as many repeats as you're comfortable doing, or choose a variable "hills" setting on the treadmill and run at your easy pace for 3-4 miles.

So if you'd normally run 4 times per week, you'd only do a long run (where you're shooting for 10K) once per week, one day would be an easy "recovery" run after the long one (3 miles) and the other two runs would be one of the above options (preferably mixing all of these in.) It'll help increase your speed and stamina on your long runs better than just trying to go further and faster all the time. If you run 5 days, you can add a second "long" run and if you run 3, I think most people recommend dropping the "recovery" run. You can also add cross-training like weights, cycling, or swimming on days you don't run if you really want to get fitter and faster.

I'm working on a half-marathon program right now and incorporating these other runs has made SUCH a difference to how I feel on my weekend long runs. It feels way easier to increase my distance each week than it ever has before, and I'm also managing longer and longer "tempo" runs which means I can now run 5K several minutes faster than I could before.

Sorry for the essay...I just wish someone had told me about this stuff while I was still running shorter distances! It would have been so much easier and less frustrating to make improvements instead of just pushing myself to go further every run.
  • michellepearson224
    Options
    Thanks....so much to think about! I usually only run 3 times a week and mix it in with a couple of spin classes and maybe a swim. But right now I'm just panicking about doing the 10k in a couple of weeks so really feel like I should be running more.....
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth, I trained for my first 10K and half marathon with only running 3x a week, and swimming/lifting weights once or twice.

I think @peleroja has given you some good advice above. I used the same sort of approach she is talking about to train for my half and managed to run it faster than I thought I would be able to. It's also helped me get a new PB at 5K in the last week too.
  • michellepearson224
    Options
    Will give it a go....2 weeks to build my speed up!
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    Thanks....so much to think about! I usually only run 3 times a week and mix it in with a couple of spin classes and maybe a swim. But right now I'm just panicking about doing the 10k in a couple of weeks so really feel like I should be running more.....

With a couple weeks to go, it's better not to step it up at this point - in fact, I think most runners (more so for longer distances, but 10K too) run LESS the week before rather than more, so they're rested and can do their best.

You'll be fine - your only goal at this point if you haven't done 10K before should be to finish, and I'm sure you will. Just stay at a comfortable pace for the first half especially, and then if you feel good you can push yourself a little harder in the second half. Making sure you start a little slow and have enough left in the tank to get through the whole distance is better than burning yourself out in the first half and suffering through the last kilometres.
  • michellepearson224
    Options
    Thank you, really appreciate the advice
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

don't beat yourself up to much about that if you can't- I run regular 8:30- 9 min miles... and I can barely run a 10 min mile on the treadmill- so a 10K would easily put me at an hr.

Do the best you can- but don't make yourself crazy!!!
    I would just start and re-stop at a time when you're feeling good- don't start and stop when you feel draggy- that's going to just.not.help. LOL
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    I hate to engage in the thread drift, but why the aggressive responses to the suggestions on doing bricks? It's a persons opinion, and I've never seen it as some type of exclusive to training level method myself. I was doing bricks before they were probably called bricks, and I'm far from being at some sort of exclusive fitness or training level.

Now back on topic...

I think a lot of people overthink when they run structured races. Think of it as just another run, and unless you have some sort of unrealistic time goal you should be fine. The difference between that 8+ kilometers and 10K is next to nothing unless you're finding yourself exhausted after that hour.

When I used to run (not much more than I had to!) pace was a big factor for me. Since I never really enjoyed running I would either go too slow and kill my time, or go too fast and get winded. Once I found a better way to pace myself I did much better on both times and endurance.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    peleroja wrote: »

With a couple weeks to go, it's better not to step it up at this point - in fact, I think most runners (more so for longer distances, but 10K too) run LESS the week before rather than more, so they're rested and can do their best.

You'll be fine - your only goal at this point if you haven't done 10K before should be to finish, and I'm sure you will. Just stay at a comfortable pace for the first half especially, and then if you feel good you can push yourself a little harder in the second half. Making sure you start a little slow and have enough left in the tank to get through the whole distance is better than burning yourself out in the first half and suffering through the last kilometres.

Pretty much this. With only a couple weeks to go, you won't improve speed and don't need to. You're good to go for the 10K if you're doing 8.6km in an hour. The difference in distance is minimal...believe in your training; you're ready for the race. :)

If it's any help, I've been running for nearly 3 years and still haven't gotten my 10K below an hour. 1:04 so far is my best. I'll get there, but it takes time for some of us slower folks.
  • michellepearson224
    Options
    Thankyou to the last poster - that gives me confidence! I'm planning another 10k in March (if this one doesn't kill me!!) and was hoping to get my time down to an hour by then, but maybe that's a little optimistic?!
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Why do you want to get your time down to an hour? Because you actually want to, or because it was suggested that you should?

The previous poster that suggested things like tempo runs, intervals, and sprinting drills was on the right track.

I personally would not try to introduce a speed goal on my first race at that distance, especially if you haven't trained on the street much. My treadmill pace is different enough from my road pace that the two wouldn't be equitable.

As far as not wanting to interrupt your pace, reset the treadmill at the beginning, so your long distance pace isn't messed up. For example, reset 20 minutes in while your legs are still fresh and interrupting momentum won't feel so different.
  • michellepearson224
    Options
    Just because I want to, but not for this one - for the next one I'm planning in March. Would be happy just to finish this one!
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    Thankyou to the last poster - that gives me confidence! I'm planning another 10k in March (if this one doesn't kill me!!) and was hoping to get my time down to an hour by then, but maybe that's a little optimistic?!

Optimistic depends on how you do in your first race; how close you are to an hour now. And everyone's a little different in development. Speed takes time. Running is a sport that requires a lot of patience. A lot of speed improvement comes from simply running consistently and longer distances.

The various speed training (tempo, intervals, etc) are good to incorporate once you get a feel for running outside and being able to get through a race. You'll still need slower runs for your base to build.

This is a good group with some great experienced runners to offer advice:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/94-long-distance-runners