Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Why are you giving it up?
  • MrsSylvie
    MrsSylvie Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    2 months! i did not last 2 days when i decided to give up my coffee habit because of my overuse of sugar..needless to say on day three i learned to start liking a mug in the AM with sweetener in it, felt sooooo much happier afterwards..nothing wrong with coffee, it too has its benefits so don't see the point of giving it up if you like it...cutting down, yes, i do feel and sleep a lot better since i gave up my pot or more a day...

besides the one mug of coffee, i now drink matcha tea once a day, it gives you that caffeine energy boost throughout the day instead of all at once so theres no need for more caffeine afterwards..can be pricey but, worth a try if you like tea.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    Give up coffee?

Just try to pry it out of my hands.

• MarcyKirkton
    MarcyKirkton Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I've cut back. It was giving me headaches. As always, when the pain exceeded the pain of change, I was ready to change.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    Give up coffee?

This. sorry I can't offer any ideas hon
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I think every one handles caffeine differently.

I'm a 5'2 124lb female and I am absolutely fine on around 6 cups of coffee a day! My boyfriend, 180lb of pure muscle and 6'3 gets the 'shakes' after one cup.

Personally, I love coffee - but if it's an issue for you, switch to decaf :)
  • krithsai
    krithsai Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Decaf must be outlawed. It's the work of satan.
  • krithsai
    krithsai Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Give up coffee?

Heck yeah! I'd give up coffee for basically nothing. No can do.
  • talismanicmagic
    talismanicmagic Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Decaf coffee is NOT caffeine free! While it is lower in caffeine, if you drink several cups of decaf a day, you are getting the same caffeine as up to 2 cups of regular coffee.
    I suggest drinking a quality coffee from a boutique coffee shop, ask for a double ristretto shot, you get all the good flavour of coffee without insane caffeine highs and lows. The more water you pass through coffee the more caffeinated in becomes, so drinking filter coffee is going to give you more caffeine than a standard espresso shot.
    My brother is a coffee roaster and I run a cafe
  • LastingChanges
    LastingChanges Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Decaf coffee is NOT caffeine free! While it is lower in caffeine, if you drink several cups of decaf a day, you are getting the same caffeine as up to 2 cups of regular coffee.
    I suggest drinking a quality coffee from a boutique coffee shop, ask for a double ristretto shot, you get all the good flavour of coffee without insane caffeine highs and lows. The more water you pass through coffee the more caffeinated in becomes, so drinking filter coffee is going to give you more caffeine than a standard espresso shot.
    My brother is a coffee roaster and I run a cafe

The caffeine difference between espresso drinks and coffee is miniscule, at least in starbucks drinks (I usually drink americanos). But you are right there is something different about espressos if I drink an americano my side effects are not as intense as with regular coffee.
    I am also aware that decaf has a little bit of caffeine which is why I am drinking it. I still get a small energy boost now that I haven't had regular caffeine in a while.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    Options
    Herbal coffee substitutes exist. I used to drink teeccino... it kinda tasted like coffee but I can't really remember. I don't think it's supposed to have any sort of stimulating effect though, but just gives you something nice and warm to drink when you would usually have a cuppa.

I'm back to drinking real coffee now.

I love several varieties of Teeccino. I make half coffee and half Teeccino. I didn't like the way I felt with straight coffee.

There are sample packs from their website so people can try different flavors. http://teeccino.com/category/30/Teeccino-Samplers.html

After I picked flavors, I bought them from my food coop, where it's cheaper and no shipping charges. You can also get Teeccino at some supermarkets, Whole Foods, and Amazon. Sadly, my favorite flavor is Chocolate Raspberry and last I looked that was only available http://teeccino.com/product/270/Chocolate-Raspberry-11-oz-Bag.html
  • LastingChanges
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Herbal coffee substitutes exist. I used to drink teeccino... it kinda tasted like coffee but I can't really remember. I don't think it's supposed to have any sort of stimulating effect though, but just gives you something nice and warm to drink when you would usually have a cuppa.

I'm back to drinking real coffee now.

I love several varieties of Teeccino. I make half coffee and half Teeccino. I didn't like the way I felt with straight coffee.

There are sample packs from their website so people can try different flavors. http://teeccino.com/category/30/Teeccino-Samplers.html

After I picked flavors, I bought them from my food coop, where it's cheaper and no shipping charges. You can also get Teeccino at some supermarkets, Whole Foods, and Amazon. Sadly, my favorite flavor is Chocolate Raspberry and last I looked that was only available http://teeccino.com/product/270/Chocolate-Raspberry-11-oz-Bag.html

Do you like the taste of teeccino? Does it taste similar to coffee or totally different taste?
  • LastingChanges
    Options
    @kshama2001 I see they make teeccino in tea bag form or you can buy them in ground form. Which one did you like better?
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    choppie70 wrote: »
    I have ADD so coffee , even though it is a stimulant, has a "calm-down" effect for me.I have a cup at work when I am feeling a bit unfocused. I also drink coffee right before I go to bed to help me sleep.

wow. I don't have ADD (that I know of, but coffee has the exact same effect on me including helping me sleep) Although I am slightly on the obsessive/compulsive side leaning heavily to the obsessive. Good to know.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    Options
    @kshama2001 I see they make teeccino in tea bag form or you can buy them in ground form. Which one did you like better?

I use ground form. I imagine it's cheaper because of less packaging. I just brew it in the coffeepot with half coffee. You could also brew it in the coffee maker with all Teeccino.
  • starwhisperer6
    starwhisperer6 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I give it up once a year for a month to remind myself that nothing controls me... then I happily let it control me for the other 11 months of the year :smiley:
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Give up coffee?

Exactly! The world wouldn't be a better place if I gave up coffee - for me OR anybody around me! :)
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    The downside of caffeine is that it increases the cortisol levels in your blood.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    The downside of caffeine is that it increases the cortisol levels in your blood.

So do bear attacks
  • LastingChanges
    Options

I suspected that was the cause of my side effects, but had lab test done and mine was at a normal level.