Do you find wearing gym wear encourages you?

Options
Recently I've been wearing a vest top and leggings but find I sweat loads around my waist so have ordered a cropped gym top. But i'm a little self conscious of wearing it because its my midsection i'm not so happy with!

Does it motivate you more to get it gone? Thoughts/feelings/opinions? Thank You :)

Replies

• SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    I've started buying ridiculous colored workout gear. I say its for "safety" since I run outside, but it just makes me happy. I bought bright pink running tights and my husband just shakes his head at me.
  • starwhisperer6
    starwhisperer6 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I can see how it would, but I purposefully look as bland as possible at the gym so I can do my workout with no attention. :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I just wear whatever is comfortable. So usually loose athletic pants (I HATE leggings for working out, but it seems to be the only thing I find now), and some random T shirt.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,324 Member
    Options
    absolutely.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I've started buying ridiculous colored workout gear. I say its for "safety" since I run outside, but it just makes me happy. I bought bright pink running tights and my husband just shakes his head at me.

I have no idea why but I am drawn to the most garish looking running shoes. In my normal life, I tend to dress very plainly--I've been wearing black tops to work every day of the week in some sort of Steve Jobs-esque manner for months now. But running shoes? Bright and funky. I still stick with black shorts/capris though.
  • Sinead1819
    Sinead1819 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    These responses are great! :D Good to hear different points of view!
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    In martial arts you pretty much wear the uniform. Everyone wears the same basic outfit of a plain white gi with the appropriate belt for their rank and a blue or black hakama if they have achieved rank.

I do have two gi tops though, one of which is a high end professional's jacket that I had tailored to fit. It is heavier and therefore hotter to wear than my old inexpensive lightweight training uniform. But I do feel different/better when I wear that one vs the other.

As for sweating. Well in two layers and long sleeves and pants, yeah you sweat. You just get used to it.
  • nyponbell
    nyponbell Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I love wearing gym wear (or activewear) all the time; at least the tops. I do feel somewhat more motivated when I wear it (because it's tight and I still have a lot of weight to lose) but I mainly wear it because it's comfortable. I work with children and run around all day, plus I love the colours! My co-workers have kind of gotten used to seeing me look as if I'm about to head to the gym after work (which I never do; if I go it's before work). I also love that it doesn't show off possible sweat stains as easily as other clothes (what with my stressful job). :smile:

I also wear my bright orange and pink asics every day, both for comfort and because I'm on my feet all day and I need the stability.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    no...just shorts and a t-shirt or cycling clothes...nothing too exciting.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    If I am aware of my workout clothing while working out it means it is not suitable for the task at hand.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I'd love to be able to get away with a cropped gym top! At the moment, I just wear whatever is practical but when I'm a little more confident (or cockier..!) i'll look into buying gym clothes that are actually a little more 'flattering'.

Having said that - I see many girls at my gym that use their gym time as some kind of fashion show. Always in very revealing and totally impractical outfits for a work-out.. But that's a whole other topic.

• Ashtoretet
    Ashtoretet Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    So many fussy replies. . Cute active wear is a big plus for me. I get the brightest or cutest stuff possible, even my headphones and ipod are brightly colored. I can't wait to get to my goal weight so I can buy the really cute stuff, like crop tops.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't wear a cropped top in the gym ..I'd feel like I'd be saying look at me ..bad enough in my gym gear which is tight fitting anyway
  • SweetPeasMom55
    SweetPeasMom55 Posts: 3,385 Member
    Options
    If I have on my workout gear I do workout every day. My workout love is the windbreakers I have one in multi colors and one that's neon green. All my hubby says is he knows I'm not out trying to find another man. LOL
    The colors make me happy. :smiley:
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    My gym clothes are pretty much just utilitarian, meaning that they cover me up and are fitted where they need to be and loose where they need to be. Not really motivating or anything. I have certain capris that I wear on certain days (fitted all the way down my leg on deadlifting days, loose at the bottom on other days) and some tops that I like more than others (of course these are the oldest/rattiest/most comfortable) but I wouldn't say that I feel more motivated in one outfit than in another.

I don't foresee me ever wearing a crop top of any sort.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,036 Member
    Options
    I don't necessarily wear gym clothes for motivation. I wear them for function. If I wear a cotton t-shirt to the gym, I feel disgusting. If I wear appropriate gym attire, I feel less disgusting and more functional.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    My gym clothes are pretty much just utilitarian, meaning that they cover me up and are fitted where they need to be and loose where they need to be. Not really motivating or anything. I have certain capris that I wear on certain days (fitted all the way down my leg on deadlifting days, loose at the bottom on other days) and some tops that I like more than others (of course these are the oldest/rattiest/most comfortable) but I wouldn't say that I feel more motivated in one outfit than in another.

I don't foresee me ever wearing a crop top of any sort.

Mine are comfortable and useful too. I just have been gravitating toward bright colors when I buy new stuff.

Colorful =/= non functional
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I wouldn't wear a cropped top in the gym ..I'd feel like I'd be saying look at me ..bad enough in my gym gear which is tight fitting anyway

If there ever comes a day where I see abs and definition on my stomach, you bet i'm getting it out ;)
  • VykkDraygoVPR
    VykkDraygoVPR Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Nope. I wear training shorts, and cotton shirts to the gym. It's pretty much the same thing I wear when I'm being lazy at home, except sometimes I opt for lounge pants then.