Cheat days?

Options
2»

Replies

• emilyrosebecker
    emilyrosebecker Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I ended up logging it and accepting it, moving on. Went to the gym and will continue to do well. Thanks again!
  • kissedbythesunshine
    kissedbythesunshine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Of course, if you don't log it, it means you never ate it, so I totally understand her reasoning.

^^sarcasm

Haha. I love this motto. Unfortunately this has gotten me in the position I'm in
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    If I were you, I would strongly question my motives for not wanting to know how many calories I ate. My personal experience is that that type of willful denial is what led to me having extra pounds -- I didn't want to know how many calories were in foods.

If you log it, you may begin to see ways in which you can have some of your favorite foods and still stay on plan. Maybe next time you're in this situation, you find a way to hit the gym first and have an amount of garlic knots, soup, and ravoli that fits within your goals. The point is, you can only manage that type of solution for the future if you understand what happened in the past.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Thank you to everyone who commented positively! That's what these boards are here for ...

Really? Where does it say that?

Sometimes the "negative" (read: honest) comments are the most helpful.

Would this thread have been better if, in answer to your first post, everyone had said something along the lines of, "You went overboard and didn't log it? No problem! Keep up the good work!"

That's a positive comment, so it's helpful, right?
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    Like many, I never have a "cheat day" where I just eat whatever I please and don't log all day. My anxiety would increase and I can't have that. I don't handle stress especially well. I do have cheat meals or whatever, like yesterday my mom took me to a nice restaurant by her work, where we had been doing office trick or treating for my son, and I had a tuna melt on sourdough that was probably over 400 calories. I logged 500 to be safe and ate and enjoyed the heck out of it. Then I did my best to shrink dinner later that evening to make up for it...........and still came in over goal. The beauty of logging consistently and accurately is that I KNOW FOR SURE that I'm fine because I was under goal by a little all week and a lot one day, so I'll be fine. And if I ever want to go back there and have that amazing delicious sandwich again, now I know how much it will cost me and I can plan ahead by PLANNING to lower my intake throughout the rest of the day. Logging well is the best thing you can do.
  • FitCurves1818
    FitCurves1818 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I don't log food and I eat whatever I want on weekends. I've been consistently losing 8-10lbs per month because I'm so diligent about staying within my caloric limits M-F and being active at least 5 days per week. I don't consider this cheating. It allows me to feel like a normal person to go to a nice restaurant or have a couple drinks with friends. Everyone has to figure out ways to work those special treats and occasions into their lives, because Birthday cake, pumpkin pie, Halloween candy and cocktails happen. At least they do in my life, and I'd never stick with something if they didn't.
  • mysherman
    mysherman Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Is it really a cheat day or more so a high calorie day? My body knows when I go over. I don't get away with it if I go too far over. So I try to balance one day of higher food intake (which generally happens at the end of week/Fridays) with days following with lower or a more balanced food intake. In terms of calories, I stay at 1300 Cal. from Sunday-Thursday, and then go up to 2300 Cal. on Friday. On Saturdays, the day after my high calorie day, I probably take in 800 Cal. at most.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I don't have "cheat" days. I have days where I eat more and days when I eat less, but it don't view any of as playing by the rules or cheating. It just is.

It's one day. You get 365 of them a year. If you're over on one or two or ten, I wouldn't sweat it.
  • boobles
    boobles Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have set myself 2 cheats. Every week after weigh in I have carbs, something yummy like a subway sub etc. Once a month I treat myself to something really naughty whatever I like for one meal. It's working so far.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it - you're human! You're CERTAINLY entitled a one off 'whatever day'. If you can log it, do so. I'm on maintenance and on Halloween, I ate around 3000 calories (and loved every second!). This was an extra 1200 'over' my allowance. For me, I liked seeing the number as it helped me plan out the next few days where I 'cut back' to balance every thing out again.

Having said that, even if you don't do the above ^^ - it really WILL NOT affect your progress.