Cutting out soda

Options

Replies

• datsundriver87
    datsundriver87 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I cut out soda completely since January of this year, I went from drinking on average a 6 pack at least a day to zero. At first I did zero calorie drinks like cascade or sparkling juices, than eventually went to mostly water and unsweet tea. I feel absolutely amazing and the two or three times I have had a soda (someone buys them for me and I'm very thirsty at work) I get a headache and instantly regret drinking it. For me I can't do diet soda, I have tried before and it still gives me the sugar cravings that regular soda does.
  • kacotugno86
    kacotugno86 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    So it's been a week and I've lost 4 and half pounds! Can't even believe the effect sugar had on my life!!!! Wow.
  • NeonStrikeVi
    NeonStrikeVi Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    So it's been a week and I've lost 4 and half pounds! Can't even believe the effect sugar had on my life!!!! Wow.

Congrats :)
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Great ides. I have cut out alcohol. Day #8. We can do it.
  • rbakedq
    rbakedq Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    For me Caffeine Free Diet Coke/Pepsi, but what makes all the difference is having it over ice with a squirt of frozen lemon juice. You can usually find frozen lemon juice in the dairy or frozen food section of the grocery store. Since a little goes a long way the bottle lasts for some time.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    hey guys! Today is day two for me! I have decided to cut out soda from my diet and drink more water. Has anyone else been successful with this?

Yep. The only time I drink soda is on the weekends with rum and a lemon wedge. Water, coffee and tea the rest of the time.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    hey guys! Today is day two for me! I have decided to cut out soda from my diet and drink more water. Has anyone else been successful with this?

Yes I've been soda free for months(July?). Losing 2 pounds per week since removing thar junk. Had a sip last week, almost came back up. I've never liked diet so no problem.

I had to borrow my willpower as I have none. If I can do it so can you, congratulations!
  • Working2BLean
    Working2BLean Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Full sugar soda had to go. Too many calories wasted on no nutrition.

I do like a diet Dr Pepper sometimes

Coffee is a beautiful thing in the morning

• macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Full sugar soda had to go. Too many calories wasted on no nutrition.

I do like a diet Dr Pepper sometimes

Coffee is a beautiful thing in the morning

This. Though I drink Diet Coke as well as Cherry Coke Zero and Vanilla Coke Zero too. Cutting back on regular soda (and in turn, cutting back on sugar) has helped me keep my skin clearer.

I think the carbonation makes me bloated, though, so I'm skipping soda for a week or so to see how my tummy looks. I don't feel any discomfort so I'll probably still drink it but I'm curious.

~Lyssa
  • foursirius
    foursirius Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I switched to diet but even then only have a can or so a week. I absolutely love club soda so wouldn't even think of giving up carbonation.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »
    I don't remember drinking "real" soda but I probably did as a kid. I've been on diet for eons. (I'm old.)

Me too. I go in phases with diet soda - drinking lots of it, then not drinking it all. Usually, based on my grocery budget :) Lately, I've been getting good deals, so I've been drinking it and enjoying it. It doesn't bother me like it seems to bother other people.

Honestly, I don't understand when people decide they must cut out diet soda, but then switch to no calorie flavored water which is sweetened with sweeteners - what's the difference?
  • Kullerva
    Kullerva Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    I was on diet soda and gave it up after getting a cavity. (I've only ever had two of those.) My gut bacteria thanked me--I can drink milk again now, though I still prefer almond milk for nutrition/fewer hormones and chemicals.

I don't think I lost much weight after giving up soda, but I definitely feel better in the morning without the caffeine headache. I switched completely to tea.
  • tcaley4
    tcaley4 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I cut out soda a long time ago, probably 6 months or more. Had a cherry coke from Sonic drive-in this past weekend, just because I hadn't had one in a long time. Oh my gosh, it was almost sickening sweet. And I used to drink those all of the time!!!
  • JustaJoe00
    JustaJoe00 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    yes....i've done it...guess it's been about a month totally without....feel so much better...don't feel like i have to drink a coke for energy now.. my wife is a total soda drinker....if i take a sip now i realize how much sugar is in it...man...
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options

Yep! I used to drink two bottles of soda every single day! Switching to water seemed to really help my weight loss at the time. I rarely drink soda now, and only diet.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I cut out soda almost 2 years ago. I really have no reason for doing it - it has done nothing to improve my weight loss or health. I do drink more coffee now. The only reason I continue not drinking soda is just because its been so long now....
  • Muzzoozal
    Muzzoozal Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I drank 12 cans of Dr. P a day! I was addicted. Water had lost it's taste. I switched to diet and ruined my stomach lining and will deal with that the rest of my life. I craved the carbonation. When I realized I was poisoning myself I went to carbonated water with flavored Stevia drops - Chocolate, peach, toffee. That helped me stop the soda. Next I cut out the carbonation, then begin to enjoy plain water. Now I drink either water or teas - mostly green. I sweeten with Stevia. It took a while for my body to get use to each level but I'm so glad I'm not dehydrating my body and adding all that junk!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I drink seltzer water, because I don't care for diet.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

It wasn't the sugar - it was the calories that were keeping you at that weight. You've cut your calories down, that's why you're losing weight. Sugar doesn't have any negative effects on you.
    If you enjoy soda and want to drink one occasionally and still avoid the calories, have a diet soda. There's nothing wrong with doing that.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »

It wasn't the sugar - it was the calories that were keeping you at that weight. You've cut your calories down, that's why you're losing weight. Sugar doesn't have any negative effects on you.
    If you enjoy soda and want to drink one occasionally and still avoid the calories, have a diet soda. There's nothing wrong with doing that.

+1