Noone stab me for asking but does anyone on here not count calories?

Options

Replies

• Working2BLean
    Working2BLean Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I mainly want to use this site for recipes,support and accountability . I know the app has a calorie counter but does anyone not count?

Only during practice run weekends for races.

Saturday was a 53 mile ride and straight into a 10K run

Sunday was 30 mile recovery ride

I ate lots of good healthy food, and one whole small pizza that was not exactly healthy but I didn't eat the crust. Ha!

So depending on activity, I may or may not count calories.

Normally

I weigh my food

Maintain a calorie deficit

Monitor protein intake closely to maintain lean body mass

There is no cheating and staying lean for me. I have to burn food off or it goes to fat.
  • scyian
    scyian Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Find what works for you. You do not have to calorie count. I do count calories and weigh 95% of what I eat and the latter is making most of the people who know me think I'm nuts but it works for me. I hope once I'm at maintenance I will have learnt portion control so I don't have to log and weigh as diligently as I am now. MFP is a tool and use it to how it suits you.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I don't count. While I think it can be useful in certain situations, I don't have the mindset to comprehend counting calories on a daily basis forever.
  • hamlet1222
    hamlet1222 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I am an adult. I was on a paleo forum once and mentioned I eat half a cup of rice a day and was kicked out so im a little bit nervous haha

I lost 80 lbs so far and would like to use the last 20 to learn to eat intuitively

classic, I got hounded out of an atkins diet forum for suggesting someone who was failing on atkins for checking how many calories they were getting from cream (they said they were having a lot of cream).

I'm not logging my calories at the moment, I logged for one week, which gave my an idea of good portion sizes for my calorie goal, and since then I've just been trying to maintain discipline on portion sizes - it's been working so far, but I suspect portion creep will kick-in eventually, and I'll have to start logging for another week.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,398 MFP Moderator
    Options
    hamlet1222 wrote: »
    I am an adult. I was on a paleo forum once and mentioned I eat half a cup of rice a day and was kicked out so im a little bit nervous haha

I lost 80 lbs so far and would like to use the last 20 to learn to eat intuitively

classic, I got hounded out of an atkins diet forum for suggesting someone who was failing on atkins for checking how many calories they were getting from cream (they said they were having a lot of cream).

I'm not logging my calories at the moment, I logged for one week, which gave my an idea of good portion sizes for my calorie goal, and since then I've just been trying to maintain discipline on portion sizes - it's been working so far, but I suspect portion creep will kick-in eventually, and I'll have to start logging for another week.

I got repeated warned and pretty much kicked off beachbody's website for linking people to science that disproved a lot of their perceptions.. God forbid we listen to science, ha.

OP, I count while on a cut because I have very little room for error. I found that getting to a very low body fat, that tracking is very important. When I maintain though, I transition off calorie counting. And when I would bulk, I would track again.
  • hamlet1222
    hamlet1222 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    hamlet1222 wrote: »

I got repeated warned and pretty much kicked off beachbody's website for linking people to science that disproved a lot of their perceptions.. God forbid we listen to science, ha.

OP, I count while on a cut because I have very little room for error. I found that getting to a very low body fat, that tracking is very important. When I maintain though, I transition off calorie counting. And when I would bulk, I would track again.

It's both funny and sad how dogmatic some people get.

Agree that the more precise your body fat goal, the less room for error you have, and the more diligent you need to be in calorie counting.

For most overweight people, I reckon simply cutting out snacking, having sensible meal portions, and drinking calorie free drinks is all they need to do to get to a healthy BMI. Calorie counting initially is a good way to shock them into realizing how much they are overeating.
  • livelovebbg
    livelovebbg Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I don't count calories, and when I did it was to help me gain weight (on another account). I'm still here because I really enjoy reading through the forums :)
  • mom2colbyj
    mom2colbyj Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I was counting until a couple weeks ago. I was put on a sodium restricted diet due to health issues a few months back and was really getting depressed with both calorie restriction and sodium restriction. It got to the point that I cried thinking about eating. Now instead of counting calories I'm weighing my food and watching the things I eat. It's working for me and I'm no longer viewing food as the enemy. I may go back to calorie counting once I'm established with the sodium restriction but for now I'm happy.
  • Sarajvz
    Sarajvz Posts: 30 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I went the IF route for weight loss/maintenance and only spot check calories. During the weight loss phase I counted calories every other day. Now in maintenance I count maybe 2-3 days a month. However, I do other things instead of regular calorie counting-IF, daily weigh ins, blood work twice a year etc, that I use to track of my progress.

Biggest thing is to just find what works for you and then go with it-there is no 'one' perfect way :)
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    ModernRock wrote: »

Gee, they sound like a bunch of cavemen.

+1
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    *raises hand* I don't count calories.
  • ahoier
    ahoier Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I started out counting calories and weighing my food, but recently haven't been. The number on the scale keeps dropping though. If the number isn't going down then I'll go back to counting and reevaluate because that lets me know I'm eating too many calories.

makes sense....lol. in my early days I was very "anal" about my calorie counting, weighing out even my half and half for my coffee.....lol (yes there is an entry in MFP for the grams weight of "half and half" lol I was shocked) but now, since I've been doing it now 3 years.....I can kind of "eye ball it" per se......lol to get a good idea of what I'm eating.....I log my breakfast, and that's about it......but my breakfast is my biggest meal of the day :expressionless:
  • Jess1989ica
    Jess1989ica Posts: 2,391 Member
    Options
    I stopped counting calories and started just make sure I have normal sized portions and just eat healthy foods. It's easier for me and works before for long term for myself.
  • lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I have never counted calories. Since changing the foods I eat many years ago, I have never found a need to.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I was kicked off lowcarbfriends.com about 10 years ago for balking at claims from the poster who went on to create this scam.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kimkins

I only count calories occasionally. If I don't learn to self-moderate by other means, I will die trying.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options
    I am an adult. I was on a paleo forum once and mentioned I eat half a cup of rice a day and was kicked out so im a little bit nervous haha y

Ahaha. Is this how you earned your moniker? Well done. :D;)
  • DisneyDude85
    DisneyDude85 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I meal prep, so I basically log one day to make sure I am in my range, and then tweak when necessary. Its been working for me so far :)
  • cmarangi
    cmarangi Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I follow a primal diet, but log my foods. If I'm truly eating primal, then I don't obsess about calories because I don't want to lose out on nutrients my body is telling me I need. I do find it helpful to track, however, because sometimes we don't realize how a tablespoon of dried blueberries or a banana can add to the carb count. Or even what taking a bit of non primal foods can do to your bottom line (macros).
  • ghouli
    ghouli Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Well, I *do* count calories/log my food and exercise, but not on MFP. I'm on here for the community/support and reading up on all the forums and stuff, getting recipes and the like. I don't really have anyone irl supporting me so it's nice to have somewhere where people encourage you and give you good advice on reaching your goals.
  • girls_read_comics
    girls_read_comics Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    cmarangi wrote: »
    I follow a primal diet, but log my foods. If I'm truly eating primal, then I don't obsess about calories because I don't want to lose out on nutrients my body is telling me I need. I do find it helpful to track, however, because sometimes we don't realize how a tablespoon of dried blueberries or a banana can add to the carb count. Or even what taking a bit of non primal foods can do to your bottom line (macros).

Thisi s how i lost 80 lbs! Primal