13»

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    psulemon wrote: »
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    Apologies for the delay, it's a bit hard to keep on track of the internet in the hospital! It's not a joke thread, :blush: The name is funny, though, I get the Wumpscut song stuck in my head every time I say it (not to mention the movie)
    wrote:
    Also, their website says there is a 4-5 month delay in shipment, so OP if you want to try it, you should order now and realize that it's going to be a while. Between now and when it arrives, maybe try to find a different nutritionist who is more understanding of your lifestyle but still understands your medical problems?

Good to know! I'll speak to the doc ASAP about it so I can order it already, I am very worried about my weight loss (it's a bad side effect) and it's always bad when you're losing and can't really eat because it's the one time in life when it pays to have some extra padding.

It's hard to find good nutritionists, unfortunately. :( The hospital one I thought was going to be great because she advises the patients at the cancer center, but apparently cancer patients can't be vegan according to her, though my hematologists says he has a bunch of patients who keep to a very high carb and high protein diet on chemo and they're all fine, even equivalent to their omnivore patients (though we do need extra B12 shots and vitamin D)
    wrote:
    As for vitamin K and coumadin, anytime you change your diet you should get your PT/INR checked. Ideally you should be getting it check monthly, more if something changes

If it's pasty, like milkshake-y like, then all better :smile: I hated Ensure because it tasted like ashy milk (I know it's a colorful description, but you get what I mean)
    Since I started on steroids, I check my PT/INR every four to five days, it's a PITA, but it's a necessary evil. It's been pretty stable considering. I do miss kale and spinach, and I only allow myself leafy greens twice a week per doc's orders. I compensate on lots of beans, though.

-

Issue with having to cut white carbs (because steroids predispose you to developing diabetes 1 -- also the sec Addison's, too) and leafy greens when you're vegan and not absorbing stuff well it's that it becomes so hard to get enough calories that you feel like just giving up, but I don't think I'd be able to ever eat meat again, and not just because of the ethical reasons, but it also used to make me very sick to my stomach because of the amount of time it demanded of me, digestion wise. I sometimes have that issue with beans (esp lentils) but it's way, way less. I was thinking of allowing myself salmon occasionally if I absolutely can't. One other thing I was thinking of adding and I don't eat lots is mushrooms, they have tons of vitamin D, and I like them lots.
    wrote:
    You do mean that you'd be adding it to your regular diet and not using it as a meal replacement, right?

Oh yes! As tempting as it would be to not have to feel pain during digestion, I love food WAY too much to not eat, and it'd defeat the purpose of getting enough calories to gain weight. I need at least about 30lbs of healthy weight put on, well, 20 for my doc to let me off the hook and extra 10 for extra protection (and I also want to look somewhat good again)
    wrote:
    I sympathize with the nausea and food intolerances/prohibitions. From my personal experience, might I suggest you get the smallest pack available, just in case Soylent does not agree with you either? You might also try different methods of eating/drinking like through a straw, tiny portions, that sort of thing.

I'm so sorry you have to deal with that stuff, too. it can make it really hard to focus on other stuff.
    You have a really good suggestion and I will definitely take it, thank you. I never tried through a straw but for a while now I've been eating my food in little sides of everything, it's time consuming but gets the job done. :)

-

Thanks everyone so far for the kind replies!
    PS: I'm stupid and don't know how to quote users :S

... I imagine Soylent is packed with white carbs. If you need to cut them, then is it a good option? You should look into it. I didn't, I'm just guessing.

As an FYI, that part of the thread is almost a year old. Not that it matters.. but more of an FYI.

This always gets me.

I have been had by older. And even gave warnings a few times for several year othe threads, haha
  • kevo10165
    kevo10165 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy Soylent. I add a few scoops of quest protein powder for flavor and protein. I think the greatest thing about using Soylent is the extra hour I gain by not having to cook.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    cleback wrote: »
    Whatever the nutritional benefits of it may be, I can't help but think of it as the most joyless, soulless food out there. It just makes me sad.

This. Totally.