How often should I weigh myself?

Options
As a rule, I make myself wait 2 days before I weigh myself, as to not get deterred and for motivation.
It's only when the scale doesn't reflect what I thought, that is can be counter-productive.
Also, I keep thinking my scale may be off... Any recommendation on a moderately priced scale?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    However often you want. It's more about consistency (same time/place/conditions) than frequency.
  • misterdale67
    misterdale67 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    First thing every morning for me.
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    From a daily weigher (and charter) of almost 3 years I can highly recommend just about any EatSmart scale. They are about $30 on Amazon. Very accurate.

I prefer to weigh daily. Wake, pee, weigh and log to make a chart. It's certainly not for everybody but a low day motivates me and a high day makes me want to do better. I'd rather learn about my body's natural fluctuations than let them get to my head.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    It all depends. If you're going to freak out over natural weight fluctuations then I suggest weekly or even bi-weekly weigh ins.

For me personally, I weigh every single day and log it on Happy Scale.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I do daily, but I'm not one to let daily fluctuations bother me.
  • Kkniery89
    Kkniery89 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Lol I love it! Thank you truly for all of your responses. I guess it's time to give up the guilt and try to weigh myself daily.
    @ strong_curves... What is this HAPPY SCALE?
  • Kkniery89
    Options
    257_Lag wrote: »
    From a daily weigher (and charter) of almost 3 years I can highly recommend just about any EatSmart scale. They are about $30 on Amazon. Very accurate.

I prefer to weigh daily. Wake, pee, weigh and log to make a chart. It's certainly not for everybody but a low day motivates me and a high day makes me want to do better. I'd rather learn about my body's natural fluctuations than let them get to my head.

I do this and I think the problem has been my experience with scales as a gymnast growing up. I have had a very negative relationship with scales ever since. I just have to get over the past
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Kkniery89 wrote: »
    Lol I love it! Thank you truly for all of your responses. I guess it's time to give up the guilt and try to weigh myself daily.

It's an iOS app that tracks your weight and gives you an average to account for daily fluctuations. There's also an Android-based one called Libra, and a web-based (though you need either a Fitbit account or a Withings scale) called Trendweight. Those are the most recommended ones.
  • Bbeliever215
    Bbeliever215 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I prefer to weigh daily, even several times a day to track fluctuations. I also am afraid to do it any less because I don't want to miss a new low if that makes sense...lol
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Another Happy Scale user and daily weigher here. I love the whooshes and hate the fluctuations. I agree, good to understand your body and make weight "a dot on the graph" rather than a life & death emotional crisis. Lol.

Happy Scale is an iPhone app that tracks your weight, shows trends, goals, and projections. I've only been using it a month even though I'm 17 months into my journey.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    In my personal opinion - if you are eating at a calorie deficit to lose weight, weigh yourself once every week - always on the same day, on the same scales and at the same sort of time.

If you do choose to weigh daily, expect up and down fluctuations.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Weigh yourself however often you like. If you never want to weigh yourself, don't. The scale is unimportant for weight loss. It just let's you keep track. If you decide to weigh daily, be prepared for it to jump around a lot and go up for no good reason sometimes. That's NORMAL. Don't sweat fluctuations!
  • diyadiamonds
    diyadiamonds Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every Saturday morning. I look forward to it and it helps me push harder during the week to get to see the figures drop (currently cutting). I also have a hot bath with Epsom salt on a Friday night so i am not holding any water weight the next morning for My weigh in :)
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    My scale NEVER reflects what I think it will show :#
    I weigh daily, log it in Fitbit, and let Trendweight try to analyze it.
    Do not do anything drastic to try to adjust the numbers on the scale. Weight (fat) loss and gain is a SLOW process, your efforts (or lack thereof) may take a month to show, and having good habits is the best you can do for your health.
    You can hit random (water weight) highs/lows when you weigh weekly. Therefore, I think daily, or monthly (in synch with menstrual cycle, if applicable), or even never, is better than weekly.
    But you should weigh as often as is best for you. Everyone is different in their attitude towards their weight.
  • suziecue20
    suziecue20 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    My head would be all over the place if I weighed every day. I'm not interested in small daily fluctuations, I want to know what weight I am losing on a weekly basis so I weigh every Monday morning after bathroom and before breakfast. Everyone if different, do what suits you and your temperament best - good luck on your journey!
  • Kkniery89
    Options
    I weigh myself every Saturday morning. I look forward to it and it helps me push harder during the week to get to see the figures drop (currently cutting). I also have a hot bath with Epsom salt on a Friday night so i am not holding any water weight the next morning for My weigh in :)

This is a wonderful idea. I will give this a shot! Thank you for your input!
  • Kkniery89
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Another Happy Scale user and daily weigher here. I love the whooshes and hate the fluctuations. I agree, good to understand your body and make weight "a dot on the graph" rather than a life & death emotional crisis. Lol.

Happy Scale is an iPhone app that tracks your weight, shows trends, goals, and projections. I've only been using it a month even though I'm 17 months into my journey.

I'm downloading the app now and for sure going to give it my best effort!
    Thank you!
  • Kkniery89
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Kkniery89 wrote: »

It's an iOS app that tracks your weight and gives you an average to account for daily fluctuations. There's also an Android-based one called Libra, and a web-based (though you need either a Fitbit account or a Withings scale) called Trendweight. Those are the most recommended ones.
    Thank you Malibu! I really appreciate your responses❤️
  • AylaStryder
    AylaStryder Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I use salter scales, Both for weighing food and my weight, Never had an issue with them and they come with a guarantee!, I weigh daily, first thing in the morning and at night because I want to learn my natural flucatuations inside out by the time I hit maintenance.