Moved to UK: losing fitness and gaining weight

Options
13»

Replies

• MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    OP, Look up a recipe and make flatbread. It can't be hard to make! :)

• TrickyDisco
    TrickyDisco Posts: 2,869 Member
    Options
    Thought that'd get a bite! You're right, of course, it's supply and demand, someone must love the stuff. Is a shame so much imported food is unhealthy though, extra fuel for the obesity epidemic sweeping the country over here, apparently, judging by how often it's mentioned in the media now.
  • maplehouse200
    maplehouse200 Posts: 53 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    'Don't get me wrong (argh, I wanted to take a night's break from this thread as something was pulling me down big time today), I always wanted to live in the UK: lots of history, marvelous landscapes, cute villages* and still great flight connections to the rest of Europe in most cases. So no, I don't know what's wrong. Probably that things didn't work out as I hoped and that I had to give up my 4500 sqft villa for a 550sqft flat and thus don't have a home gym anymore (I'm seriously restless and miss my bodyweight routines), the weather, the lack of sunlight and warmth, my bike breaking down for the third time since being here this morning and the washing machine flooding the kitchen, running resulted in asthma attacks, me waking up too early and being constantly hungry at day time, etc...'

Oh well, live and learn.
    Byeeee.
  • MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    As you are not running in the evening anymore, perhaps you could use 20mins of that spare time to actually make flatbreads. Make a batch. Stick 'em in the 'fridge.
    Dead simple to do.

^ this. You can get a bread machine that will do most of the work for you, and you just roll out they dough and cook it. Not difficult.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,564 Member
    Options
    Ok, that went a bit better today: I somehow managed to sleep almost an hour longer, which made a big difference! I had my breakfast a bit later, and managed to have lunch much later. I also ate ham instead of cheese on my bread. I found it to be equally filling, but it's got less calories. I also went for a run about two hours after dinner tonight. A very slow, short run, avoiding every bit of terrain (not so easy here). Lets hope I won't have another asthma attack tonight, but if I have I guess I cannot blame it on unfamiliar running uphill but on the temperature - or the fireworks smoke everywhere. Is something special going on tonight?

Yes, I'll look into buying a bread machine! It should be possible to bake somewhat denser bread with that. And with a real crust (I hope).
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    You can get fresh crusty bread in most supermarkets, they have in store bakeries, just look online to see if they use additives.

As for your asthma ( I also have asthma) you'll probably just need to up your preventor, I also have a couple of puffs on my reliever before a run so it's not an issue during.

And it's Guy Fawkes/bonfire night, so bonfires and fireworks aplenty! And yes, hills are a nightmare, my route is pretty hilly inevitably because I live at the top of a hill and makes progressing tough but on I push.
  • yirara
    Options
    Thought that'd get a bite! You're right, of course, it's supply and demand, someone must love the stuff. Is a shame so much imported food is unhealthy though, extra fuel for the obesity epidemic sweeping the country over here, apparently, judging by how often it's mentioned in the media now.

It's not all too bad to be honest. Found an organic butcher who makes wonderful sausages and who's got a fair amount of other interesting things that I've never cooked with before, and probably won't find in a supermarket. Lots of game as well.
  • yirara
    Options
    You can get fresh crusty bread in most supermarkets, they have in store bakeries, just look online to see if they use additives.

As for your asthma ( I also have asthma) you'll probably just need to up your preventor, I also have a couple of puffs on my reliever before a run so it's not an issue during.

And it's Guy Fawkes/bonfire night, so bonfires and fireworks aplenty! And yes, hills are a nightmare, my route is pretty hilly inevitably because I live at the top of a hill and makes progressing tough but on I push.

Thanks. I'm exploring local food. I'm sure there's 'real' bread somewhere and not only toast and toasty bread.

Well.. the asthma is a bit strange. Doctors told me about a year ago I don't have asthma after lots of tests. They blamed the problems I had previously to severe B12/iron deficiency anemia. And yea, since the treatment I had no breathing issues at all, and as I still take both it's unlikely the anemia is back (B12 quite a bit more regularly than NHS guidelines suggest keeps my neuropathy at bay - gosh, looking forward to discussion with a doctor here). So no, I don't take any asthma meds regularly. Because it wasn't necessary and because I never found any that don't have rather unpleasant side effects (bleeding/bruises everywhere or alternatively severely swollen nose/throat. Both not fun).
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Yikes to those side effects. I use inhalers and have even had short courses of steroids when a cold has turned into a chest infection and no side effects (other than short term appetite increase with steroids).

I'd go see a doctor as soon as really, you can check reviews for local GPs on the NHS website and perhaps a local Facebook group. I'm lucky to have a great GP.

It sounds like you're getting there though, it's always tough in a new place with new food and new culture etc, especially if you really liked where you were before and all that came with that lifestyle.
  • yirara
    Options
    Hi Vintage Feline,
    Yes, inhalers as well. I never saw an increase in appetite though, rather the contrary because they upset my stomach, even though they should only work on my lungs. Hmpf... yes, 47 small round bruises on one thigh alone is hardly 'only lungs'. And that was only one tight! The rest of my body didn't look much different.

Yes, getting there :) I managed to sleep about an hour longer, and managed to eat a bit later. It's still not good to have lunch at 12:00 and then still have to go for 5 hours. But using ham instead of cheese for some reason seems to be a good idea as I feel full for longer while eating less calories. Odd, that. But it's a massive difference: 30 calories worth of ham instead of around 100 worth of cheese on a double sandwich. If it wasn't raining I'd search my local Asda for fresh goats cheese today. It's fairly low in calories as well and so yummy.

I have an appointment with a doctor. I can get an appointment the same day if I need to, but getting a double appointment just takes a bit longer. At least I'm getting one who's interest is Asthma and lungs problems. I really wonder whether it's asthma at all. Sport induced asthma should show up right away, latest straight after working out. But not many hours later. Maybe the cold and effort causes some small inflammation reaction that needs a few hours to develop. The last run went ok, but two hours afterwards my lungs started feeling a bit tight, strangely cold and sore/raw. So I took the inhaler and at least the tightness went away, and the next morning everything was fine again.

What makes me think of an inflammation of sorts: I had the first ever breathing issue after an extremely strenuous workout. I had to use inhalers I don't know how often day and night for 8 weeks. But I also had a raised temperature every evening, slightly raised erythrocyte settling rates for months, and was given antibiotics when in hospital. No idea what for, or what doctors thought was going on.