Name a reason why people do not drink plain water?

Options
Some people cannot drink a plain glass of water. Why?
Curious as can be. Not judging anyone. Just trying to understand reasons.
* I love water. Grew up in warm climate and it was always refreshing and cleansing.

Replies

• smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    It's cold where I live so I mostly drink tea for the warmth.
  • Keiko385
    Keiko385 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I grew up drinking well water that smelled of rotten eggs. Municipal water here depending on the season tastes like chlorine or is fishy smelling. Too cheap to buy bottled water. My water has to have something in it even if its just a splash of lemon
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Personal preference
  • prettygirlstorm1
    prettygirlstorm1 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    When I am craving something sweet instead of eating candy I will add the jolly ranchers singles to go to my water. Workouts and breakfast is the only time I drink plain water.
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    My grandmother hates the taste of it, or lack of taste maybe? She doesn't even like taking meds with water. She's 95 and has subsisted on iced tea and Diet Dr. Pepper so I feel like drinking straight water isn't THAT important.

I personally drink a ton of water and I prefer it as my drink of choice. But when people aren't crazy about water I imagine it as that feeling when you're hungover and even though you're dehydrated, drinking water tastes like whatever you got hammered on the night before, and it's totally gross and nauseating.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    They like the taste of other beverages more.

I like water, too. I used to drink soda and juices and such, but water really hits the spot in a way they never did. I like putting water in my body, too. Like, "Here you go!" Seems healthier. :)
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    "In Wine there is Wisdon; in Water, Bacteria" B. Franklin. ;-)
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i hate the taste. and it hurts my stomach no matter the temperature i drink it at
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    I CAN (and make myself), but I don't like it. Never have.

Oh yeah, and it needs to be ice cold. I would absolutely gag if I tried to drink warm or room temp water.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Marketing. Almost from birth we are taught by commercials and printed advertisements that we must drink manufactured beverages.

The craziest thing is the people that only drink bottled water. Water is water regardless of the container.

FWIW; Did you know that the earth has the same amount of water on it now as at the very beginning? There is no "new" water. Yesterday's urine is today's tall, cold glass of water (or soda).
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    Keiko385 wrote: »
    I grew up drinking well water that smelled of rotten eggs. Municipal water here depending on the season tastes like chlorine or is fishy smelling. Too cheap to buy bottled water. My water has to have something in it even if its just a splash of lemon

Carbon filter should alleviate most of that. Is your municipal source water surface or well water?
  • SweetPeasMom55
    SweetPeasMom55 Posts: 3,385 Member
    Options
    Only drink water but it has to be room temp. I don't like anything cold but I run cold as a person.
  • Abby2205
    Abby2205 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Because people have different personal sensory preference in what they drink. They are like people that way.
  • NikaBlake
    NikaBlake Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Water just isn't particularly delicious. Have you ever heard a person be like "omg this water tastes AMAZING!" Lol. I don't think it tastes bad though and it's rather refreshing at times. Now....if you add a few slices of cucumber to it...that's some good tasting water B)
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    Think of something that you don't like the taste of, and then ask yourself why. You'll have your answer.

Plain water is boring and tasteless. I really only drink it if i'm super thirsty because it does do a great job of quenching thirst on a hot day.
  • MissElectricEyeliner
    Options
    I'm one of those people that hates plain water. No flavor. I get my water from my soda, my choice even though some people would throw a fit about it. I only like bold flavors in my drinks and what I eat.
  • beachhouse758
    beachhouse758 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I like water and so I don't have a good answer, but this question always reminds me of this meme.
    201507_1106_gbebi.jpg

That's me!

Seriously, OP I HATE the taste of plain water. Hate it. I live in a super duper hot, humid, tropical climate and I still hate it.
    And having plain water on an empty stomach makes me feel nauseated.
    I use crystal light and pure lemon/orange (powder) or La Croix water. It helps.

• MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    Meh, plain water is okay but I'd rather have seltzer water