Why are some people getting fatter?

Options

Replies

• tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    Are you...are you asking why people are different from each other?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,683 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    One reason: many foods are just more calorie dense per serving. Also I started a thread a while a back at why people may possibly like carbs so much and why many may overindulge in them.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10254582/a-possible-reason-why-people-love-carbs-so-much#latest

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

That doesn't explain why my 7yo kids skip dessert while I always wanted more at the same age though.
    Habitual behavior? Everyone around me loves coffee and can't do without it. I've never liked it nor had a craving for it.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Are you...are you asking why people are different from each other?

Probably
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    One reason: many foods are just more calorie dense per serving. Also I started a thread a while a back at why people may possibly like carbs so much and why many may overindulge in them.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10254582/a-possible-reason-why-people-love-carbs-so-much#latest

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

That doesn't explain why my 7yo kids skip dessert while I always wanted more at the same age though.

But if part of the reason they don't want dessert is because you didnt put rice cereal in their bottle wouldn't the overall trend be less people getting fat since the common recommendation is not to do that anymore?
    I mean people still do it but I'm guessing fewer since people are told not to now.

As for coffee, I'm not sure if women drink more/less or the same nowadays as opposed to "back then".

I know plenty of moms who did it so they could sleep longer, lol.

Ok so I guess we can just put it in the 'we're all different' category, I was just wondering if there are actually specific factors that make some people eat more than others.

Do some people really like food more than others though? I guess that could explain it, even though I can't imagine how someone would not LOVE food.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    My phone hates me. It quoted and posted while I was trying to get off thr page.
  • Heartisalonelyhunter
    Options
    Well my mom put all kinds of stuff in my bottle from 2 months old and I have always been a little underweight. Just because you read stuff on the internet doesn't mean it's true. And lol at the coffee thing.
    This is a personality thing. Some kids are more energetic/sporty than other. Some are brattier. Some are quieter. And some are greedier. It sounds like you were a greedy kid and your kids aren't - I guess that proves it's not a hereditary trait?
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I read a study that age of mom can impact obesity in children. Children born to mothers who are "advanced maternal age" are more likely to be obese and have health issues. I'm trying to find the damn thing but google must be broken this morning or something. Woman are having babies much older. I had mine at 32 and 34 and at 37 I'm still not sure if I'm done. Although my kids are normal weight.

I will also say that the 1980's were like a free for all for processed foods. When I think of what my everyday lunch was from like elementary school through high school I know why I'm here.

We also have many sedentary ways of amusing ourselves now with TV, cel phones, video games, etc. When I was little nintendo didn't come out until I was 9. Before that we spent all our time outside. After nintendo we spent all our time sending 2 Italian plumbers down sewer tubes and shooting ducks.
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Why do some seven year olds like math or dinosaurs or the color orange or brussels sprouts and some don't?

So you mean that some kids naturally don't like food as much as others?

Yes, definitely. My brother and sister were always pickier than I was, and they would get full more easily. Some of this is "nature" and some is "nurture". Since I was less picky, my parents praised me for finishing my food and taking seconds. This may have led me to eat more, and now it's pretty hard for me to feel full eating "normal" portions.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Maybe you had kids instead of clones?

Better luck next time
  • FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    My daughter doesn't really like dessert. Doesn't like cakes, doesn't like ice cream. But she will eat as much carrot as she can get her hands on, loves all salad.
    Likes chocolate, but doesn't like chocolate sauce.
    Kids are strange.
  • jaqcan
    jaqcan Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    As society it's because food is so readily available. We don't have to wait for food. We don't have to grow food. And we don't have to ration food. Snacks are constantly available to kids and adults. Sugar is CONSTANTLY available. It's not a Christmas treat to have sugar, it's every day always. Fast Food is the norm. It's cheap and HIGH calorie.
  • 42firm03
    42firm03 Posts: 115 Member
    Options

I have two kids. One self-regulates intake beautifully. The other will eat till . . . well not sure what satisfies the child.

The self-regulated is the carbaholic and the eater is a protein-aholic.

Just an N=2 but it's so contrary to conventional diet wisdom. I cannot figure it out.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Plenty of kids overeat. Childhood obesity is a growing problem. I never passed on dessert when I was kid, though I have no problem doing it now. I was not even close to being overweight when I was a child, teenager or young adult. None of my kids were overweight and are not now as adults, but I've never known them to pass on dessert. I'm sure they could have become obese if I'd let them eat all the desserts they wanted.

I've always assumed children become fat because their parents don't teach them proper nutrition and eating habits.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,683 Member
    Options
    Plenty of kids overeat. Childhood obesity is a growing problem. I never passed on dessert when I was kid, though I have no problem doing it now. I was not even close to being overweight when I was a child, teenager or young adult. None of my kids were overweight and are not now as adults, but I've never known them to pass on dessert. I'm sure they could have become obese if I'd let them eat all the desserts they wanted.

I've always assumed children become fat because their parents don't teach them proper nutrition and eating habits.
    Nail on the head. While there's times where parents can let go (parties, vacations, etc.), many take the path of least resistance to just feed their kids.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    i blame fast food - too tempting to just "grab something bad" and not cook at home
    the city i grew up in is all different
    main street lined up with fast food

Lots of people get fat without eating fast food (and lots of people eat fast food without getting fat). Also, I don't believe fast food is that much more available than in the '80s, when people were less fat. It was certainly accessible where I lived.

So I really don't see how this responds to OP's question.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Isn't it amazing that we are all made in God's image, and yet there is so much diversity among his people?

Desmond Tutu

• FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    It's also linked to lack of exercise in the same kids whose parents don't teach them about proper nutrition and eating habits.
    If you don't care about nutrition and good eating habits, then there is probably a good chance you don't care about fitness and exercise.
  • Heartisalonelyhunter
    Options
    I like having sex. I like drinking wine. But if I didn't know when to stop doing those things ( or thought/talked about them all the time) I would have big issues. Same with food. You seem to be asking why some people know when to stop and some don't and there's no trite answer to that.
    Oh and a lot of people don't like dessert. Personally I find it bizarre when people obsess over sickly sweet stuff (which I find gross) but I'm not going to ask why they do it - it's a personal preference.
  • Soopatt
    Soopatt Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I think it might relate to this : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanford_marshmallow_experiment

My sister and I grew up in the same house with the same parenting. My sister struggled to control herself around food. We have discussed it as adults and she knows she is the child that would have grabbed that marshmallow and stuffed it in her mouth before even listening to the rules. I would have been the kid that felt smug about not eating it and would have waited. My sister would finish her Easter candy stash in an hour and give herself a belly ache. I would make mine last months (she would steal it from me when she found it).

It was not just food that my sister had little impulse control around. She also opened her christmas presents before christmas and got distracted by the TV, that sort of thing. She still struggles with distraction. She is an "oooh shiny!" person, even though she is extremely creative and talented.

Although I have gained weight in the last 4 years, my sister and I still have a very different relationship with food. She has ended up having weight loss surgery and even after that, manages to eat enough of the wrong thing that her weight will probably never be out of the overweight range (she drinks chocolate).

There is some sort of impulse drive at work - some sort of disconnect between the impulse and the contemplation of the consequences that separates our behavior. That mythical willpower - but I think it is more complicated that just one person having a stronger will than another.

My boyfriend also has a theory that people taste things differently in the same way that we don't all see color the same. Food is then a lot more delicious and appealing to some people than to others, which adds to the problem and if this is combined with an impulse control issue, certain patterns can be set in childhood.

I don't claim to be an expert, just random thoughts and ponderings as I found your question interesting OP.