low carb anyone?

Options
I am a diabetic my starting weight was 275lbs and l am down to 255lbs. I am on a low carb diet due to diabetes. I am trying to kick these pills for good. Would love to have a friend in this journey to lose 100lbs.

Replies

• nikhbee
    nikhbee Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to keep up with a low carb diet too. It's hard to go old turkey with carbs, the most practical way for me we to cut out sugar. It's amazing how many products have sugar in some form or the other. I'm sure the dependency on pills will come down, all the best!
  • italk2much2
    italk2much2 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just found out I am pre-diabetic and am trying to cut down on carbs and sugar. Would love to share ideas and support. I just started yesterday back on the app.
  • cjspes
    cjspes Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Same boat...Carbs are high in almost everything.
  • hfaison619
    hfaison619 Posts: 1 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    We are in the same boat too. All of my maternal side is plagued with it and I want to keep it at bay for as long as possible.
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    You can add me, I love low carb its the only thing that worked for me in more ways than one. I lost 40lbs on low carb and usually eat between 30g-50g of carbs a day
  • abseil
    abseil Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I can join you. I am diabetic and just started on metformin. I want to reverse it - I believe I can do it. Can I ask any of you that have been successful with weight loss, have you gone with low/no carb, medium protein, high fat?? And what exercise have you done? I really want to succeed with this. I will support others as best I can :) and hope it helps.
  • Annatheb1
    Annatheb1 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have lost 20lbs so far low carbing 3 days a week of walking. Two times a day in ten minute increments.
  • abseil
    abseil Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    wow, that's great Annatheb1. Do you do high fat too or just low carb? How long has it taken? I'm the sort of person that needs to start seeing results quickly - once I see the results start coming in, I am ok and can accept slow weight loss. What pills are you on? I am on metformin but only just started so I only take one a day. Dr said to increase to 2 by now (but I haven't ssshhhhhh!!!!) I am hoping to get my BG under control so I don't have to ;)
  • Annatheb1
    Options
    Even healthy snacks like hummus high in fat and carbs ugh. Such a catch 22 with a lot of these foods. What are some of yalls favorite foods? Low carb that is lol
  • Annatheb1
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I take 500 mg metformin twice a day with 2.5 of glybiride two times. They go together. I am on high protien. Low carb. The balance is tough. 20lbs in two months l think us pretty quick.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    @Annatheb1 There's a wonderful and informative Low carb group here. I'm getting ready to go low carb, still trying to learn everything I can.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • Annatheb1
    Options
    Thank you Christi!
  • MarcieAvaJ
    MarcieAvaJ Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    There's a great book called "Crack the Fat Loss Code" by Wendy Chant, a body builder. Body builders know that to build muscle and keep your weight in check, you've got to eat protein (aka low carb, low sugar), and you've got to carb cycle, to keep the body slightly confused so it won't adapt and slow down metabolizing. She gives a great explanation (scientific yet entertaining) of how to get started, and how to see results quickly.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    Annatheb1 wrote: »
    I am a diabetic my starting weight was 275lbs and l am down to 255lbs. I am on a low carb diet due to diabetes. I am trying to kick these pills for good. Would love to have a friend in this journey to lose 100lbs.

Welcome to MFP forums @Annatheb1 and congratulations on your good start on losing weight.

I went very Low Carb High Fat over a year ago to try and cut my pain levels so I did not have to start on a dangerous drug called Enbrel. For two months I tried to taper off grains and sugars but failed. 30 days before I was scheduled to start Enbrel I just up and left all grains and most all sugars cold turkey. In 30 days my 7-8 pain levels dropped to 2-3 so I dodged the Enbrel bullet. The first two weeks was hellish like for this old man but then the cravings and hungry left and still has not returned. I have only lost another 30 pounds but I stay stuffed full all of the time on this Way of Eating. My joint pain is still being managed by the way I eat.

Do check out the MFP low carb group mentioned above that I expect you will find friendly. Low Carb is actually <150 grams a day and the Keto version is <50 grams of carbs daily. So the group is open to everyone doing their way. For most of us there was/still is a learning curve.

I finally quit dieting after 40 years of yo yo'ing weight. This time I am eating for health. I do weigh every day but if my health markers are improving I am very happy even when the weight is not dropping like a rock.

Best of success.
  • ckeiling
    ckeiling Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Three months ago I was taking the following meds for diabetes: 3 shots of short acting insulin, 1 shot of long acting insulin, and two pills. (Novolog, Lantus, and Janumet) After 7 weeks of low carb eating, I have lost 14 lbs, and the only diabetes meds I am taking now is 1 pill and 1 shot (Janumet and Lantus). My doctor is thrilled and so am I. I have an appt to get bloodwork, and then we will begin lowering my high BP meds if we can. I am so very happy with the results. I stick to about 40-50 healthy carbs a day, from veggies or nuts and some full fat dairy. I feel so much better already. I had reached a point that all I wanted to do was eat and sleep. Now I am making it through my work days and even have enough energy to cook at night and do a couple chores. I also have been reading in the Daily Low Carbers group and finding some good tips.
  • ZeroTX
    ZeroTX Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I'm not diabetic, but doing low-carb diet has me losing 1-3lbs a week without fail. I will keep doing this until I reach goal.
  • ckeiling
    ckeiling Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Gale, I am having to take Enbrel for both psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis. Can I ask why you were facing the possibility of taking Enbrel? I am wondering if this woe will help with these ailments.
  • whitesmokes
    whitesmokes Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I lost 40 lbs originally with a low carb diet. I frequented reddit.com/r/keto for information. Its a decent community with support and tips on how to succeed with a low carb diet. I fell off the wagon and gained 20 of my original loss back. Carbs are a real pain to kick but the energy and the lowered scale numbers are good motivation to be in control of my intake. Best of luck to you! You're not alone.
  • Annatheb1
    Options
    Annatheb1 wrote: »

Welcome to MFP forums @Annatheb1 and congratulations on your good start on losing weight.

I went very Low Carb High Fat over a year ago to try and cut my pain levels so I did not have to start on a dangerous drug called Enbrel. For two months I tried to taper off grains and sugars but failed. 30 days before I was scheduled to start Enbrel I just up and left all grains and most all sugars cold turkey. In 30 days my 7-8 pain levels dropped to 2-3 so I dodged the Enbrel bullet. The first two weeks was hellish like for this old man but then the cravings and hungry left and still has not returned. I have only lost another 30 pounds but I stay stuffed full all of the time on this Way of Eating. My joint pain is still being managed by the way I eat.

Do check out the MFP low carb group mentioned above that I expect you will find friendly. Low Carb is actually <150 grams a day and the Keto version is <50 grams of carbs daily. So the group is open to everyone doing their way. For most of us there was/still is a learning curve.

I finally quit dieting after 40 years of yo yo'ing weight. This time I am eating for health. I do weigh every day but if my health markers are improving I am very happy even when the weight is not dropping like a rock.

Best of success.

Thank you so much for your encouragement. I submitted a request for the group!