Weight loss during Thanksgiving holiday?

Options

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I learned a neat trick in WW years ago. Divide plate into 1/3s. Each third is protein, carbs, veg.

That ensures I do ok.
    Aren't the vegetables carbs?
    I learned a neat trick in WW years ago. Divide plate into 1/3s. Each third is protein, carbs, veg.

That ensures I do ok.

I can think of many popular Thanksgiving dishes that can't be classified as a single macronutrient. Do I need to be sorting my green bean casserole before eating it?

Man, are you usually that obtuse?
    Are you saying that vegetables aren't typically carbs?

• brb2008
    brb2008 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    scolaris wrote: »
    Trust me: Thanksgiving is not the reason I've been too heavy! It's those pesky 'regular' days that ganged up on me...
    ;-)

There's the honesty we all have to face! The holidays arent what got us here, and they wont send us back to where we started either!
  • Dawn410
    Dawn410 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I'll just eat what I want, try not to get too stuffed, and keep my workouts on track. Shouldn't be a big deal.
  • Owlfan88
    Owlfan88 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    We're going to my in laws for Thanksgiving. I'm not taking a scale. I will try to be reasonable about my choices and hope to take a nice walk that day. The bigger problem will be the travel days going to and from their house. It's about 9-10 hour drive, so at least one if not 2 meals on the road, and not much chance to exercise. I'll probably amuse my family by doing laps around the gas station/welcome center/ etc whenever we stop.
  • Merrysix
    Merrysix Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    A lot of Thanksgiving foods fit into my macros (turkey, salad, plain sweet potatoes). I feel better when I stick to my macros, so I try to stay with the plan. Two years ago I did a "Turkey Trot" 3 miler with my husband and daughter in the morning and it was really fun!
  • Barbs2222
    Barbs2222 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I'm going to continue to fast until 2pm as I do everyday. I will log my food and exercise as usual.

Other than that, I will NOT be using my food scale on Thanksguvjbg day. I will not be eyeing every single ingredient to make sure there is no evil msg or preservatives lurking in the food ingredients. I will not be freaking out about sugar content or skipping any desserts. I will not drive everyone crazy with my health and fitness rants. Thanksgiving I will let loose, not worry or stress about gaining weight and just enjoy being with friends and family.

The next day I will pick up exactly where I left off on my fitness journey and pretend like three helpings of stuffing and four different types of pie never happened.

Ditto this.
  • aliciasilfies
    aliciasilfies Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Luckily for me, this year will just be my boyfriend and I. It's nice since I'll be doing all of the cooking, I can measure and log as I go.

I'm also planning on making lightened up versions of sides and desserts for us. Less butter/oil, baked instead of fried, that sort of thing.

It's the 2 weeks we are taking to fly back home and visit with both of our families from Christmas to New Year's that I am really worried about!
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,834 Member
    Options
    brb2008 wrote: »
    scolaris wrote: »
    Trust me: Thanksgiving is not the reason I've been too heavy! It's those pesky 'regular' days that ganged up on me...
    ;-)

There's the honesty we all have to face! The holidays arent what got us here, and they wont send us back to where we started either!

I agree! If you really think about it, there are what? maybe 3 'eating holidays' (Thanksgiving, Christmas and maybe Easter)...4 if you want to count your birthday. Overeating 4 days a year isn't what got any of us here.
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    I think I might start a bulk just as the holidays roll in.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

That ensures I do ok.

I can think of many popular Thanksgiving dishes that can't be classified as a single macronutrient. Do I need to be sorting my green bean casserole before eating it?
    I don't make homemade mushroom soup, fresh green beans cooked with salt pork -- how would I separate that? -- beer battered onion strips, and get awesome sharp cheddar just to sort it back out. Three more weeks...

Wow. My grandma just mixes cans together. Yours sounds delicious!
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

That ensures I do ok.

That ensures I do ok.

Man, are you usually that obtuse?

It's a joke based on how I perceive the suggestion to be somewhat impractical for an average Thanksgiving diner. Sorry it wasn't to your taste. You can try sorting it into the "jokes I didn't care for" section of your plate.
  • Dariasen
    Dariasen Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    We host a Thanksgiving Eve party every year. That's usually my night to indulge...but I'm also running around cooking/serving/hosting all night so it evens out.

My MIL does "dinner" ridiculously early on turkey day, so I have enough time during the day to be more active if needed. (Although in all honesty I do not enjoy her food/cooking so over eating is not usually a problem). Only real change from any other year is skipping the popcorn when we go to the movies in the afternoon.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options

That ensures I do ok.

I don't make homemade mushroom soup, fresh green beans cooked with salt pork -- how would I separate that? -- beer battered onion strips, and get awesome sharp cheddar just to sort it back out. Three more weeks...

It tastes like a completely different dish. Kind of how canned asparagus tastes nothing like fresh asparagus.

And it is literally award-winning. Twenty more days...

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

That ensures I do ok.

It tastes like a completely different dish. Kind of how canned asparagus tastes nothing like fresh asparagus.

Your version of green bean casserole may just be enough to get me to try it again... my SIL years ago kept trying to force me to eat hers, and I finally choked down a bite and confirmed that nope, I really do NOT like this dish...

I started making sauteed fresh green beans with carmelized onions, pancetta, a little soy sauce and sherry instead. Everyone now eats my version and her sad green bean casserole just sits there barely touched...

• DeguelloTex
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

That ensures I do ok.

Your version of green bean casserole may just be enough to get me to try it again... my SIL years ago kept trying to force me to eat hers, and I finally choked down a bite and confirmed that nope, I really do NOT like this dish...

I started making sauteed fresh green beans with carmelized onions, pancetta, a little soy sauce and sherry instead. Everyone now eats my version and her sad green bean casserole just sits there barely touched...
    That sounds awesome. The soup has caramelized shallots, so there's that.
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    I wonder where all the sad green bean casseroles go after Thanksgiving?

fxzqbh68ezn9.jpg
    DT.jpg 101.6K
  • janejellyroll
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I wonder where all the sad green bean casseroles go after Thanksgiving?

fxzqbh68ezn9.jpg

As the vegan "parent" to decidedly non-vegan dogs, that picture made me laugh really hard!

But it's a good reminder. Common ingredients like garlic, onion, and cooked poultry bones can be really dangerous for our canine friends.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    Ours is past... but I ate and drank whatever I wanted.Its a holiday and I celebrated it fully.And I always do.. But I am a cardio nut, I easily worked it all off.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I will do my 8 to a 10 mile walk and then enjoy the yummy foods, pies, cookies, etc for the day. Next day get back at it. ;)
  • fornorezzon18
    fornorezzon18 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm going to just enjoy myself and eat about 3000 calories on thanksgiving,I'll make up for it the next few days by dropping my calories by 200-300