How do I know if I'm gluten intolerant?

Options

Replies

• LastingChanges
    LastingChanges Posts: 390 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I feel better when I don't eat a lot of it, too, so I try not to. I think it's pretty normal, which is why we're seeing an increase in gluten-free options.

I remember when Atkins was super popular. There was an increase in Atkins friendly products then too. I remember even Subway had Atkin options for wraps.

Atkins is a solution to weight loss, gluten free is a solution to symptoms people experience, not a diet fad.
    But yes many companies are getting on the bandwagon of gluten free products to make some money, but that's a good thing, theres a higher % of people being diagnosed now with celiacs or gluten sensitivity.

My point was that because it is becoming more popular doesn't make it "normal". It is very much a bandwagon thing right now (and a popular weight loss solution suggestion). I'm not saying there aren't those who suffer, and the whole bandwagon is good for those who do suffer. But it is not proof that people shouldn't eat it.
    The higher percent of people being diagnosed is still a very small portion of the population.

If you can eat it without any issues, there is no reason to stop and no one said it should be stopped. I haven't heard of it as a weight loss solution. However in mainstream I have heard it suggested in order to increase energy, elevate any random symptoms someone has, reduce inflammation, etc. If someone is experiencing some symptoms it may be worth it to try, if they don't see any benefits then they can go back to enjoying gluten.

Again, not really the point of my post, but isn't Wheat Belly a currently popular weight loss book which promotes eliminating gluten?

I see what you are saying, availability of more products doesn't mean it is legit. But an increase of products is great for the people who really need it and others that are trying it out.

Wheat Belly points out that many symptoms, conditions, inflammations may be caused by gluten sensitivity. If someone is struggling with those symptoms it suggests and gives reasons why it may be worth a try to go GF. I read it a long time ago, I don't really remember it being a weight loss diet. I think author was trying to help decrease health problems and a side benefit could be weight loss once the symptoms are alleviated.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I feel better when I don't eat a lot of it, too, so I try not to. I think it's pretty normal, which is why we're seeing an increase in gluten-free options.

I remember when Atkins was super popular. There was an increase in Atkins friendly products then too. I remember even Subway had Atkin options for wraps.

Atkins is a solution to weight loss, gluten free is a solution to symptoms people experience, not a diet fad.
    But yes many companies are getting on the bandwagon of gluten free products to make some money, but that's a good thing, theres a higher % of people being diagnosed now with celiacs or gluten sensitivity.

My point was that because it is becoming more popular doesn't make it "normal". It is very much a bandwagon thing right now (and a popular weight loss solution suggestion). I'm not saying there aren't those who suffer, and the whole bandwagon is good for those who do suffer. But it is not proof that people shouldn't eat it.
    The higher percent of people being diagnosed is still a very small portion of the population.

If you can eat it without any issues, there is no reason to stop and no one said it should be stopped. I haven't heard of it as a weight loss solution. However in mainstream I have heard it suggested in order to increase energy, elevate any random symptoms someone has, reduce inflammation, etc. If someone is experiencing some symptoms it may be worth it to try, if they don't see any benefits then they can go back to enjoying gluten.

Again, not really the point of my post, but isn't Wheat Belly a currently popular weight loss book which promotes eliminating gluten?

No, it isn't really a weight loss book. It's about the possible negative health effects of grains (wheat).
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    OP, I hope you find out what's right for you. Blood tests or old fashioned, strict avoidance are a couple of possible methods. Good luck!
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Eating gluten free does often work well as a weight loss solution. Whether that's a fad or not, I don't know. I don't really understand the relevance of that in a thread by someone with actual symptoms.
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    You can go to the doctor and get various tests for celiac and gluten sensitivity, but they don't test for all the markers. Some people express it differently than others and aren't indicated by the tests as gluten sensitive because they express that sensitivity in ways that the tests don't catch. Also, you need to be eating a pretty large amount of gluten consistently when you take the tests for them to catch anything, which most possibly sensitive people aren't doing when they take the tests since they feel crummy while eating gluten.

I'd just try eliminating it from your diet for a few weeks and see how you feel afterwards. It would save you money and you would get the same results as if you had went to the doctor before cutting gluten out. If you feel better -- great! If not, you can go back to eating gluten. No harm done, and it saves you time and money.
  • tinger12
    tinger12 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    90% of the people think they are or claim they feel better when they avoid it are hypochondriacs. They want to feel like the occasional discomfort is related to something as to gain sympathy. They want to be ill. But in reality they are lonely and/or wanting to belong. Sympathy.

I am so tired of fat, carb, sugar, gluten, meat, and the many other "free" diet fads. Unless you have been properly diagnosed with a problem, you have no claim to the problem.

Sorry for being coarse, but people latch onto these fads for reasons related to self esteem reasons and not for actual medical reasons.

Now excuse me while I mix my essential oils to rub between my third and first toes to keep me from getting headaches.
  • eugenia94102
    eugenia94102 Posts: 126 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    You can go to the doctor and get various tests for celiac and gluten sensitivity, but they don't test for all the markers. Some people express it differently than others and aren't indicated by the tests as gluten sensitive because they express that sensitivity in ways that the tests don't catch. Also, you need to be eating a pretty large amount of gluten consistently when you take the tests for them to catch anything, which most possibly sensitive people aren't doing when they take the tests since they feel crummy while eating gluten.

I'd just try eliminating it from your diet for a few weeks and see how you feel afterwards. It would save you money and you would get the same results as if you had went to the doctor before cutting gluten out. If you feel better -- great! If not, you can go back to eating gluten. No harm done, and it saves you time and money.

I agree with you with you in part. I know plenty of people that have food intolerances to, for example, raw onions or green peppers (I also know a case to watermelon) and they learned based on trial/error and experience to avoid those items. It's often expressed as "I don't like such and such". They can afford to do that because the digestive symptoms of such intolerances are mild. Yes, if one only experiences mild digestive symptoms your suggestion is quite sensible. That is not necessarily the case with gluten. What should dictate whether or not someone consults a health professional is the degree of symptoms one experiences when one consumes gluten (in other words, if your symptoms are aggressive, don't wait until you poop blood to look for help).
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    OP, you might want to do a bit of reading about the low FODMAP diet. Here and here are good places to start.

The short explanation of the low FODMAP diet is that some people are unable to properly digest some fermentable short chain carbohydrates. Wheat is one of those.

I first stumbled across the FODMAP diet in an effort to help my IBS symptoms. At the time I was beginning to suspect I had some sort of problem with wheat. But in reading more and experimenting I believe my issue is wider than just wheat, and the FODMAP issue seems to "fit" better.
  • LastingChanges
    edited November 2015
    Options
    tinger12 wrote: »
    90% of the people think they are or claim they feel better when they avoid it are hypochondriacs. They want to feel like the occasional discomfort is related to something as to gain sympathy. They want to be ill. But in reality they are lonely and/or wanting to belong. Sympathy.

I am so tired of fat, carb, sugar, gluten, meat, and the many other "free" diet fads. Unless you have been properly diagnosed with a problem, you have no claim to the problem.

Sorry for being coarse, but people latch onto these fads for reasons related to self esteem reasons and not for actual medical reasons.

Now excuse me while I mix my essential oils to rub between my third and first toes to keep me from getting headaches.

You are ridicilous. Medicine is not set in concrete, there is always research being done. Medicine is always evolving, new information is discovered, information is retracted, causes for disorders are discovered, and symptoms are given a proper diagnosis. Just because a diagnosis doesnt exist doesnt mean the symptoms arent there, and in the future there can be more information on these symptoms or a diagnosis.

I dont see how belonging to a group of celiacs would benefit my life. My digestive issues disrupted my everyday life and caused a lot of discomfort, the first time I felt better in a long time was when I went GF.

For some it is hard to understand or wrap your head around something you have never experienced.
  • nvmomketo
    edited November 2015
    Options

Testing for celiac disease is NOT the same as the testing done for food sensitivities (IgG mediated) that a naturopath or other alternative health care professionals do. Those tests are not recognized as valid tests for celaic disease or NCGS by the greater medical community.

I know a celiac who had those food sensitivity tests done. She had recently had positive blood tests and a positive biopsy yet those tests put her as negative for gluten sensitivity.

I have celiac. My oldest son has obvious reactions to gluten, behaviouraly and physically. I had him tested for celiac but the doctors would only run one test and it was negative - this means he probablly does not have celiac but there is a 25% chance he could. I then have these naturopath tests done and all were negative. All. Yet he has food issues. It was a waste of money for us.

I'm of the opinion that those tests can maybe find food sensitivities in some but they are irrelevent when it comes to celiac disease and dicey at best for NCGS.
    tinger12 wrote: »

The gluten-free diet is not a free fad diet, and those who use it as such are ignorant of the reasons for the GF diet. Gluten (gliadin) is a protein in many grains which can cause a reaction by the body. Celiac is an autoimmune reaction whereas NCGS is though to be a more basic immune/defense reaction. The GF diet has NOTHING to do with weight loss beyond losing the bloating that makes some of us look 5 months pregnant after eating a PB&J sandwich.

I completely object to calling those on the GF diet, who are trying to improve their health, hypochondriacs. On average a celiac takes about 10 years to be diagnosed. Almost every single celiac I have talked with (and I help moderate a busy celiac forum) has been told at one point in their lives that it is all in their head, or those symptoms are natural for them. Almost. Every. Single. One.

I'm sure there are some people out there who worry too much and don't need to be GF, but so what? Perhaps it really is helping them but it isn't obvious to others. The most common symptom of celiac is anemia. Vitamin deficiency is common and so are ataxia, migraines, cognitive decline, hairloss, constipation, neuropathies, anxiety and panic attacks, depression, fatigue, arthritis, gall bladder issues, and other non-stomach issues.

Most people who are in it as an experiment or for attention won't last long on the GF diet. Just because they are not diagnosed does not mean they do not have a problem. 80% of celiacs are still undiagnosed! Please keep your judgements to yourself.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Thank you for the awesome info! And as to the last part of your post...Thank you for standing up for those of us undiagnosed. I would have been less tactful for sure! I probably will never be diagnosed as I refuse to put myself through those symptoms ever again.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    I was told it was nothing for 35 years. I remember being told as a young child, that it was "normal" for me to have stomach aches after eating... It's a sensitive point for me.

Validation of an illness by a doctor does not mean that there was nothing wrong until the doctor agreed with you. I figured out my celiac disease, got a home test and took the positive result in to my doctor for validation. If I hadn't figured it out, I'd probably still be undiagnosed and being told my symptoms are all in my head.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    There is also DNA testing for celiac disease.

Do get tested, it's the only solution.

As for non-celiac gluten sensitivity, the tide may be turning. The doctors who did the original study performed another one and had interesting findings. There have been several recent studies on this, in fact, which are calling the prevalence of the diagnosis into question and are positing that the reactions experienced may in fact be to FODMAPS rather than gluten.

• sparky00721
    sparky00721 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Perhaps try an elimination diet to see the effect gluten-containing foods may have on you. I am working through a 30 diet (Whole30, but I expect there are also others) in which one eliminates all added sugar, all dairy, all grains (both gluten-containing and non-gluten-containing grains) for 30 days, then re-introduces them slowly so that one may see what effect each of these foods groups may have for yourself. Personally, after two weeks, I have not felt this good in a number of ways for years.
  • sparky00721
    sparky00721 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    sorry, I meant "... 30 day diet..."
  • nvmomketo
    edited November 2015
    Options
    The DNA tests are DQ2 and DQ8. 30% of the world have at least one of those genes even though less that 1% of the world has celiac. If you have the genes, your chances of having celiac jump to somewhere around 1 in 35 or so, from 1 in 133. The genetic tests will just tell you if you are in the higher risk group.

97% of celiacs have the genes.

Some doctors have dismissed NCGS now, some never embraced it in the first place, and some, like Dr Fasano (leading expert) still diagnose NCGS, and some believe NCGS is often early celiac disease before autoantibodies get high enough to measure. It's a gray area.

• LastingChanges
    edited November 2015
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    The DNA tests are DQ2 and DQ8. 30% of the world have at least one of those genes even though less that 1% of the world has celiac. If you have the genes, your chances of having celiac jump to somewhere around 1 in 35 or so, from 1 in 133. The genetic tests will just tell you if you are in the higher risk group.

Some doctors have dismissed NCGS now, some never embraced it in the first place, and some, like Dr Fasano (leading expert) still diagnose NCGS, and some believe NCGS is often early celiac disease before autoantibodies get high enough to measure. It's a gray area.

Yes this makes a lot of sense, some people don't have symptoms and don't get a diagnosis until much later in their life. Some people have symptoms, always test negative, and then years later finally get a positive result. Heard lots of stories of both scenarios.

As for non-celiac gluten sensitivity, the tide may be turning. The doctors who did the original study performed another one and had interesting findings. There have been several recent studies on this, in fact, which are calling the prevalence of the diagnosis into question and are positing that the reactions experienced may in fact be to FODMAPS rather than gluten.

Wheat which contains gluten is also included in FODMAP. So whatever they may want to call the diagnosis as, it is still possible for gluten to be the issue. Digestive issues/IBS is very difficult to figure out. I think there are multiple causes for IBS... it could be FODMAP for some, could be just gluten, could be something else. I think research tries to categorize everyone into one group and find one solution for all digestive issues because this would be much simpler to deal with. Unfortunately it isn't that simple, and we are stuck having to try to figure it out on our own.

When someone has digestive issues, you have to do your own research, try eliminating different things, and ask the Dr for which tests you want. It is hard to find a Dr who will be thorough and take interest in helping you figure it out.

I am sure the research will change again, especially that the recognition of FODMAP is pretty new, so I am not depending on research. I know I feel the difference w/o gluten.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

Yes this makes a lot of sense, some people don't have symptoms and don't get a diagnosis until much later in their life. Some people have symptoms, always test negative, and then years later finally get a positive result. Heard lots of stories of both scenarios.

Wheat which contains gluten is also included in FODMAP. So whatever they may want to call the diagnosis as, it is still possible for gluten to be the issue. Digestive issues/IBS is very difficult to figure out. I think there are multiple causes for IBS... it could be FODMAP for some, could be just gluten, could be something else. I think research tries to categorize everyone into one group and find one solution for all digestive issues because this would be much simpler to deal with. Unfortunately it isn't that simple, and we are stuck having to try to figure it out on our own.

When someone has digestive issues, you have to do your own research, try eliminating different things, and ask the Dr for which tests you want. It is hard to find a Dr who will be thorough and take interest in helping you figure it out.

I am sure the research will change again, especially that the recognition of FODMAP is pretty new, so I am not depending on research. I know I feel the difference w/o gluten.

The problem, if it is FODMAP and not gluten is that FODMAP is further reaching. I understand how tricky IBS is, my son has it.

However, I'm a firm believer in accuracy. You're either reacting to the gluten or the FODMAP.

I'm sorry, I'm also a firm believer in being your own advocate with doctors. I really do get that it's frustrating, I have had medical conditions go undiagnosed for years, so I understand the frustration.

Saying that? It's still not a call to diagnose and treat yourself.

The rampant nature of self-diagnosis with gluten sensitivity has led to it not being taken seriously, and people with celiac disease have been paying the price for this.

I take this issue pretty seriously, because I've been glutened by supposedly gluten-free food.
  • LastingChanges
    edited November 2015
    Options

The problem, if it is FODMAP and not gluten is that FODMAP is further reaching. I understand how tricky IBS is, my son has it.

However, I'm a firm believer in accuracy. You're either reacting to the gluten or the FODMAP.

I'm sorry, I'm also a firm believer in being your own advocate with doctors. I really do get that it's frustrating, I have had medical conditions go undiagnosed for years, so I understand the frustration.

Saying that? It's still not a call to diagnose and treat yourself.

The rampant nature of self-diagnosis with gluten sensitivity has led to it not being taken seriously, and people with celiac disease have been paying the price for this.

I take this issue pretty seriously, because I've been glutened by supposedly gluten-free food.

Totally understand you, and how sensationalism of gluten takes the seriousness out of celiac disease. This is why I always differentiate between what I have and celiac. Celiacs consequences to gluten can be life threatening while what I experience is just discomfort. But that doesnt take away the point that my gluten caused discomfort is disrupting to my life.
    The first time I eliminated gluten, I also cut out processed sugar, dairy, soy, additives, artificial sweetners. This was so hard but so worth it to figure out ibs, would never want to do it just for a fad diet. Not one dr that i saw (and i saw mutiple) suggested fodmap, gluten, or anything else. After they did a general blood test they said everything is fine. So I am not waiting for a diagnosis from a dr. I had to ask for other specific tests and after an endoscopy it was seen that my stomach has gastritis, and again they couldnt really come up with a reason for that.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    I thought I had a gluten intolerance too(my aunt had celiacs before she died.she didnt die from celiacs though) and stopped eating foods with gluten because they were causing stomach issues.,I waited a few months and then reintroduced things one by one, but the weird part is that I stopped eating certain brands of breads, and other things and my issues stopped.Im not saying that this will help. you can see a dr to get tested but sometimes its the way our foods are processed,what types of ingredients and so on that can make a difference. if you have tried all those foods(no matter what brands) and have the same issue then see a dr but if not try different brands of those things and see if that too makes any difference.