Sodium Overdose!!

Options
Hey all,

Anybody else have problems keeping sodium in check? MyFitnessPal puts me at a daily limit of 2,300 mg, which is in line with common advice. But I always blow that out. Egg whites, chicken breast, turkey breast...frankly a lot of sources of protein jam up my sodium intake. This isn't counting things like mustard and whatever...those 0 cal "dressings" I don't bother entering into MyFitnessPal because they make little to no consequence in my diet otherwise. Any tips?

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about sodium because I don't have any health issues that require it. I make sure I drink plenty of water and maintain an active lifestyle to promote electrolyte balance.
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Unless you have health issues like me I would not worry about it.
  • lostinwebspace
    lostinwebspace Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Awesome. No health issues that I know of. Thanks!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Yes, I had a hell of a time with sodium. Of all the dietary adjustments I made (and I made a LOT of them), getting my sodium under control was the hardest. When I finally realized that I had to make my own foods, it got much easier.

Lots of good sodium info (and tips on how to lower it) here: http://sodiumbreakup.heart.org/sodium-411/
  • cdudley628
    cdudley628 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I don't even track my sodium. Not too concerned about it.
  • amberlyda1
    amberlyda1 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I love beef jerky...but....I have a family history of heart disease (usually self inflicted; smoking, overweight etc). Im very sensitive to sodium and retain water like a champ...even with drinking tons of water. I was diagnosed with hypertension and put on blood pressure meds. Hopefully once I loose the weight ill be fine, but ive always been sensitive to sodium, I get massive headaches from msg. If you dont have health problems, family history of heart/kidney problems than i wouldnt be overly concerned
  • lostinwebspace
    Options
    Glad to get this off my mind then. I have no health problems and every time I get my blood pressure checked, I'm well within the healthy range: not high, not low, just right. I have a Mama Bear blood pressure.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Hey all,

Anybody else have problems keeping sodium in check? MyFitnessPal puts me at a daily limit of 2,300 mg, which is in line with common advice. But I always blow that out. Egg whites, chicken breast, turkey breast...frankly a lot of sources of protein jam up my sodium intake. This isn't counting things like mustard and whatever...those 0 cal "dressings" I don't bother entering into MyFitnessPal because they make little to no consequence in my diet otherwise. Any tips?

There's little salt in chicken(72 mg in 100 grams), turkey(52) or eggs(62). Are you eating deli items? Stop it! Buy some tenders
  • lostinwebspace
    Options
    No. Not deli items. I'm getting my readings off Myfitnesspal. Some of these are ground (like the turkey) and not eggs but egg whites, Egg Creations specifically.
  • markrgeary1
    Options
    No. Not deli items. I'm getting my readings off Myfitnesspal. Some of these are ground (like the turkey) and not eggs but egg whites, Egg Creations specifically.

I must be confused 4 oz. of most ground turkey is 80 mg of sodium. Do you consider that a lot? I don't. Egg creations depending what you choose, the plain seem to be 120 mg per serving. Some of the flavored types seem to have 220, those I might not use for my goals. YMMV.
  • lostinwebspace
    Options
    Maybe My fitness pal is confused then. It's giving me astronomical numbers. For instance, 78g of Kirkland chicken breast is almost 400mg of sodium. Whhhhhuuuuutttttt?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    I don't worry about sodium because I don't have any health issues that require it. I make sure I drink plenty of water and maintain an active lifestyle to promote electrolyte balance.

What she said
  • festerw
    festerw Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    usmcmp wrote: »

What she said

x3, my sodium intake yesterday was 7600mg. Granted that's not the normal (hooray for pizza!) but it's typically between 3-4000.
  • sdraper2014
    sdraper2014 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Maybe My fitness pal is confused then. It's giving me astronomical numbers. For instance, 78g of Kirkland chicken breast is almost 400mg of sodium. Whhhhhuuuuutttttt?

I am thinking that those are the roasted strips of chicken breast that are cooked and seasoned for you, in that case they are more of a deli item than just oven baked chicken, any precooked chicken you buy is going to have added sodium because that tastes good.
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    yeah, i also go over by like 4 times that suggested amount and dont have any issues. I dont even retain water as a result so i dont worry about it.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options

Make sure you are using the correct entries. Kirkland canned chicken breast vs. raw vs. cooked/frozen vs deli. Don't use entries that don't specify which Kirkland chicken breast they are referring to.
  • markrgeary1
    Options
    Lourdesong wrote: »

Make sure you are using the correct entries. Kirkland canned chicken breast vs. raw vs. cooked/frozen vs deli. Don't use entries that don't specify which Kirkland chicken breast they are referring to.

I looked at some and totally agree. Based on what product it might be 2-3x more.
  • rfornarola
    rfornarola Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey all,

• rfornarola
    rfornarola Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    well i cooked all my proteins or carbs or veggies with out salt! u can buy mrs dash spices saltfree and trust me it will taste good the food with out salt and u get use too it and u will feel less bloated and loose weight!
  • Cynthiamr2015
    Cynthiamr2015 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    The usa website says that the requirement for sodium a day is 2300 for healthy people and 1500 for people with certain health problems. They had changed the numbers for some people so it is not the same for everyone anymore. :)