Baked Potato in about 10 minutes !?!

Options

Replies

• beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    What is the point of a bag? We just poke a few holes in the potato and put in microwave. Been doing it for around 30 years.
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    There are way too many warnings on that thing - it makes me nervous. lol
  • GillianLF
    GillianLF Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I have one of these....and I've yet to try it!
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    how hard are they to clean?
    can you turn them inside out?
    can you submerge them in water? or get water on them?
    makes a nice stocking stuffer, but have to make sure it's a good invention

I've just thrown it in the washing machine with the towels & it's come out fine.

Oh man for a second I thought you meant you threw the POTATOES in the washing machine.
  • questionfear
    Options
    throwing the dork in the washing machine is even worse.
    i don't have a dork, so i can't try it.

I'd imagine you would have to be careful to avoid it being an imbalanced load.
  • 42firm03
    42firm03 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I have a homemade version of this from a local quilt shop. It's awesome. Makes much tastier microwaved potatoes. And easy because no "dork" is needed. You don't pierce the potatoes and nothing explodes. Win win.
  • questionfear
    Options
    could you put it in the dryer?
    or just let it sit outside to dry?

Personally I prefer to air dry my dorks. They don't get as wrinkly that way.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    I used to microwave potatoes in about seven. Did you ever do that, and could you compare the taste and results? To microwave a potato, I would stab it with a fork all over and then nuke it for seven minutes. Afterwards I'd have to dunk it in water with ice so I could handle it and take the skin off. How does it go for you? Coming to think of it, I suppose people just normally deal with the skin while eating!

what? take the skin off? That's the best bit of the oven-baked potato!!! that chewy crunchiness....mmmm yum. But yeah, the crappy skin on a microwave potato is why I cut a line down mine, put in the microwave for 5 minutes or so, then finish off in the oven. I like the taste of the inner from a microwave, and the skin from the oven.

But if this bag makes the skin crispy it could be good!!

Eating the skin... I mean other than being an immigrant, how haven't I known this was a thing???
  • rbakedq
    rbakedq Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I love baked potatoes. If I am grilling something or have the oven on, I will nuke a potato for 4 or so minutes, then drizzle with a little olive oil, salt, pepper and sometimes garlic powder. Wrap in foil and onto the grill or in the oven for another 10 or so minutes.
  • Cynthiamr2015
    Cynthiamr2015 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    When I cook something in the microwave it is either in paper towel, porcelain, or glass. I do not use anything else. I did see one of those and thought that is great for those who find it helpful. :)
  • brendak76
    brendak76 Posts: 241 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I have one too and love it. The potatoes really do come out better imo than just putting it in the microwave. I also use it to warm up corn tortillas. They stay warm and are very moist.
  • brendak76
    brendak76 Posts: 241 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

Sorry double post
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options
    Ok shills. :) This was around $6.50 on Amazon so I bought two. One will be a gift, hopefully :)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    MommyL2015 wrote: »
    You can put a potato in a microwave without a fancy bag and a medium one only takes about 5-7 minutes. Or are you saying it gives the potato more of an oven-baked taste? I realize there's a difference.

The skin gets crispy like it's been in an oven - not "soggy" like I've done other ones in the microwave before. Previously, I didn't like the taste/texture of microwaved potatoes - now I do.

this sounds awesome

I generally microwave for 5 mins then throw in oven for 30

but if this does the job - yum
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I used to microwave potatoes in about seven. Did you ever do that, and could you compare the taste and results? To microwave a potato, I would stab it with a fork all over and then nuke it for seven minutes. Afterwards I'd have to dunk it in water with ice so I could handle it and take the skin off. How does it go for you? Coming to think of it, I suppose people just normally deal with the skin while eating!

what? take the skin off? That's the best bit of the oven-baked potato!!! that chewy crunchiness....mmmm yum. But yeah, the crappy skin on a microwave potato is why I cut a line down mine, put in the microwave for 5 minutes or so, then finish off in the oven. I like the taste of the inner from a microwave, and the skin from the oven.

Eating the skin... I mean other than being an immigrant, how haven't I known this was a thing???

you what now?
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    This gives you oven-baked skin in the microwave? I have to get one.

The skin is the best part.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

you what now?

Basically eating potato skins to me was as foreign as eating banana peels or something. Will have to give it a try, though!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    What is it lined with?