How do I know if I'm gluten intolerant?

Options
13»

Replies

• randomsue
    randomsue Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Blood tests would be only way. My own personal experience is like so many others. I would eat rolls, pastas, etc and feel horrible after so many days of it. My joints ached, my rosacea would flare up, just alot of different medical issues. The interesting thing is that I was at the ENT because the medicine for my allergies just wasn't working well. I had an allergy test to pinpoint the allergens and I asked the doctor to test me for wheat (it wasn't included in the test since I had never broken out i n a rash with food)

The reaction to wheat was one of the worst reactions during that panel. Turned out my intuition was right. All of the issues that I had dealt with for years was symptoms of my allergy to wheat. I was NOT imagining my symptoms but to this day I would be suffering unnecessarily if I hadn't asked to add that 1 test.

Eliminating wheat and gluten (rye, barley etc because as the ENT explained to me, they are similar and within the grass family) has helped all of the symptoms that was being treated as separate issues and not treated as symptomatic of a broader issue.

I can have gluten free items and I would occasionally indulge but I am trying to eat foods that's not as processed. Key word trying to. Lol All this talk of processed foods, gluten free, etc. tells me how blessed we really are to have and make choices for our diets based on a physical need or a choice to make changes to improve our health.

All this to say, listen to your body, go to the doctor and get tested , ask questions and be your own health advocate.
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't understand why people get so pressed and salty about other people eating gluten-free. Let's be realistic: gluten is not necessary for life. You can remove it from your diet with few or no consequences. The only objection I've seen anyone make is "You shouldn't eliminate whole food groups from your diet," as if that argument made sense, or was based in anything but vague ideology. People do just fine with vegetarian diets, or going dairy-free. Gluten-free diets are no different.

If you want to see if you'd do better without gluten, eliminate it from your diet for six weeks, then try reintroducing it. You may find that you feel just fine; you may find that you experience all sorts of gastrointestinal upset. I suggest that "I feel like crap when I eat this stuff and feel much better when I don't" is, itself, sufficient reason to stop eating the "stuff," for whatever value "stuff" might take on.
  • LastingChanges
    LastingChanges Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Larissa_NY wrote: »
    I honestly don't understand why people get so pressed and salty about other people eating gluten-free. Let's be realistic: gluten is not necessary for life. You can remove it from your diet with few or no consequences. The only objection I've seen anyone make is "You shouldn't eliminate whole food groups from your diet," as if that argument made sense, or was based in anything but vague ideology. People do just fine with vegetarian diets, or going dairy-free. Gluten-free diets are no different.

If you want to see if you'd do better without gluten, eliminate it from your diet for six weeks, then try reintroducing it. You may find that you feel just fine; you may find that you experience all sorts of gastrointestinal upset. I suggest that "I feel like crap when I eat this stuff and feel much better when I don't" is, itself, sufficient reason to stop eating the "stuff," for whatever value "stuff" might take on.

Good to hear someone with similar thinking. It really is nothing more than a calorie dense food. Arent any nutrients within wheat lost when processing it into flour and then the nutrients are re-added? I can find those nutrients naturally in other foods.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    tinger12 wrote: »
    90% of the people think they are or claim they feel better when they avoid it are hypochondriacs. They want to feel like the occasional discomfort is related to something as to gain sympathy. They want to be ill. But in reality they are lonely and/or wanting to belong. Sympathy.

I am so tired of fat, carb, sugar, gluten, meat, and the many other "free" diet fads. Unless you have been properly diagnosed with a problem, you have no claim to the problem.

Sorry for being coarse, but people latch onto these fads for reasons related to self esteem reasons and not for actual medical reasons.

Now excuse me while I mix my essential oils to rub between my third and first toes to keep me from getting headaches.
    Why are you 'tired of' other peoples' food choices? What effect does it have on you? Does it bother you when others choose cage-free eggs or wild salmon or organic produce, because it's not your choice? Does it bother you that your choices aren't the only choices anyone has available? Does it make you feel threatened? What is a "claim to a problem"? Do I need to "claim a problem" to choose foods that suit my preferences and biology? Are there foods you dislike? Maybe you should have to eat them, since you don't have a diagnosis that gives you a claim to your preferences.

I'll play made-up stats, too. 90% of people who think gluten sensitivity is a fad or a play for attention are parroting back internet garbage they've read from other ignorant people.
  • anicamwagner
    anicamwagner Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    The way I figured out I have a gluten intolerance was cutting gluten (wheat, barely, rye) COMPLETELY out of my diet for a minimum of five weeks. Like check the soy sauce bottle and oh guess what, flour. After a few weeks of 100% no gluten contain products, eat something made with a gluten product, like a slice of bread. If in the next hour you have horrible stomach aches and 'you know what' is ick, then there's a good chance you are.
  • sockinette
    sockinette Posts: 6 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    90% of the people think they are or claim they feel better when they avoid it are hypochondriacs. They want to feel like the occasional discomfort is related to something as to gain sympathy. They want to be ill. But in reality they are lonely and/or wanting to belong. Sympathy.

I am so tired of fat, carb, sugar, gluten, meat, and the many other "free" diet fads. Unless you have been properly diagnosed with a problem, you have no claim to the problem.

Sorry for being coarse, but people latch onto these fads for reasons related to self esteem reasons and not for actual medical reasons.

Now excuse me while I mix my essential oils to rub between my third and first toes to keep me from getting headaches.

+1

As for people who are claiming that "non-Celiac gluten sensitivity" is a medically recognized disease since 2012? BS! In fact, studies have shown that it does not exist. One of such studies was widely publicized in 2014. Another one was publicized in 2011: http://guardianlv.com/2014/05/gluten-sensitivity-does-not-exist-in-absence-of-celiac-study-confirms/

UChicago's hospital also has a page on the lack of existence of non-Celiac gluten sensitivity: http://sciencelife.uchospitals.edu/2014/05/28/does-non-celiac-gluten-sensitivity-exist/

In short, if you're not Celiac, and you feel you have gluten sensitivity, then tinger12 is correct. You are a hypocondriac. Tinger12's statistics is "made up," because the correct statistic of hypocondracs among non-Celiac gluten sensitive people is 100%.

Now, please excuse me while I put on my tin foil hat because cell phones give me a headache.
  • LastingChanges
    Options
    sockinette wrote: »

+1

As for people who are claiming that "non-Celiac gluten sensitivity" is a medically recognized disease since 2012? BS! In fact, studies have shown that it does not exist. One of such studies was widely publicized in 2014. Another one was publicized in 2011: http://guardianlv.com/2014/05/gluten-sensitivity-does-not-exist-in-absence-of-celiac-study-confirms/

UChicago's hospital also has a page on the lack of existence of non-Celiac gluten sensitivity: http://sciencelife.uchospitals.edu/2014/05/28/does-non-celiac-gluten-sensitivity-exist/

In short, if you're not Celiac, and you feel you have gluten sensitivity, then tinger12 is correct. You are a hypocondriac. Tinger12's statistics is "made up," because the correct statistic of hypocondracs among non-Celiac gluten sensitive people is 100%.

Now, please excuse me while I put on my tin foil hat because cell phones give me a headache.

I hope that made you feel better once you wrote it out. Seems like its something thats been bothering you.
  • sockinette
    sockinette Posts: 6 Member
    Options

+1

I hope that made you feel better once you wrote it out. Seems like its something thats been bothering you.

Haha, I just don't have anyone in my circle of friends that still believe in Santa Claus, so I am always baffled when I see an adult who still believes in spite of the mountains of scientific evidence that show Santa Claus does not exist.
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Peter Gibson's research didn't suggest hypochondria 100%. It did suggest that the possibility of NCGS was more likely less than what was believed by those who self diagnosed. I'd believe that too. It also ruled out gluten as the likely singular cause. I'm all for that too if it helps more people.

He's currently doing research on gluten and depression. I'm interested in that. He wants to see if there is a link to gluten and the mental fog people report. The fog and bloating are my major symptoms to date. I do the best I can with what I know. I don't experience either/or when I don't consume gluten and I started doing that long before there was gluten free foods or even being aware that it may be gluten. I could say more to that but I can't be bothered.

I know Gibson has been quoted as saying that the media hype has it wrong when it suggests that the effects are purely nocebo for everyone non-celiac. There's still a type of suffering and the research only scratches the surface, it doesn't negate that.

I will say though that yes it makes me a tad grumpy when people choose to go GF purely for weight loss purposes without completely understanding it. I don't blame them though, I blame the authors who have capitalised on dodgey interpretation of science. The fad means my situation is taken less seriously too. You combine that with my weight loss and people assume I've bought into it. Not so. I'd love to down a huge pizza without the coma after.

I'm open to anything on this really.
  • LastingChanges
    edited November 2015
    Options

+1

Haha, I just don't have anyone in my circle of friends that still believe in Santa Claus, so I am always baffled when I see an adult who still believes in spite of the mountains of scientific evidence that show Santa Claus does not exist.

I am not hypochondriac. The pain/ side effects I suffered was visible. Keyword WAS. If I were a hypochondriac I would've found a new ailment to worry about or continued to worry about this one.
    I am baffled why those that have no connection to gluten sensitivity or celiac do research on it and have such strong feelings to disprove it.
    It is sometimes hard to be empathetic to something youve never dealt with. I wish for everyone to be healthy, but you just never know if you or someone you know will go through the same thing in the future. So if someone claims something bothers them or they don't feel good, I try to understand them and not judge them.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options

+1

:( How very judgemental and egocentric of you. My son's explosive diarrhea 6 times a day since toddlerhood was all in his head was it? The effect of gluten on my oldest's behaviour and energy was something he made up before he could talk, eh?

NCGS is as real as Santa? I completely disagree.... What do you have against people with food sensitivities? Were you mistreated by someone with NCGS as a child? Bullied by someone with lactose intolerance? Given bad grades by a teacher with a nut allergy? I don't get it.

I don't understand how my son's nut-free, lactose-free, gluten-free diet (which keeps him healthier and safe) could offend any grown up.

Studies have shown that NCGS does exist but the mechanics of it are not well understood. It could be another part of the grains (as those few who need a FODMAP diet would suggest) but the issue is still real and it doesn't change the fact that grains with gliadin make some people sick (even if it is not specifically the gliadin that does it).

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3820047/
    http://www.mdpi.com/2072-6643/5/10/3839
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24667093
    http://www.medicaldaily.com/gluten-sensitivity-isnt-celiac-rigorous-study-finds-evidence-sensitivity-without-323718
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25583468
  • gpoliver
    gpoliver Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    There are a few autoimmune diseases where symptoms become more prevalent when you are eating gluten. Lupus, Hashimoto's disease, Krohns disease are three that MAY be better controlled without gluten in your diet. Nvmomketo seems to know her stuff as everything she is responding with is extremely accurate and I think she may be highly knowledgeable on the subject....