A Whole Lot of Haters!

Options
Hello MFP friends! I was reading a post that was supposed to be a success story and everyone rained on the girl's parade because they thought she was unhealthy. She wasn't asking for advice!

Let's revert back to childhood here...."If you don' t have anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all."

Let's make a promise to be kind and considerate. In addition, if someone is asking for an opinion, express it in a way as not to hurt that person!

Stop being rude and stay positive!

I promise to keep my comments positive and if someone asks for advice, I promise to give it without expressing judgement.

Who's with me??

Replies

• Melbel85
    Melbel85 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I'm with ya!!!
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I totally agree. I read the same post you are referring to and because of how I felt about it, I opted to not say anything at all. Some of the comments were just so rude. I felt bad.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I agree that many posts get way too nasty on here. I don't know the specific situation to which you refer, but eating disorders are real and dangerous, so I'm not sure that ignoring what you think is unhealthy behavior is really a good idea either. But it should be done in the spirit of being helpful, not as an attack.
  • Dani724
    Dani724 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I totally agree! If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all!
  • fitaliciag
    fitaliciag Posts: 373
    Options
    In all fairness, I do hear you and see where you are coming from, HOWEVER, IF someone is asking for OPINIONS....they should be ready to hear any and all opinions. They are not forced to agree with or accept them.

Just sayin :)
  • purrteetea
    purrteetea Posts: 24
    Options
    @aliciagonzalez25...ditto

thats called life...we cant make everyone happy...all of the time...thats when love of self comes into play...that way, when the the haters say what they got to say you can "gone brush yo shoulders off" and keep-a steppn'...
  • RozeGod
    RozeGod Posts: 118
    Options
    I agree!! Thanks for bringing this up.
  • fitaliciag
    fitaliciag Posts: 373
    Options
    I agree that many posts get way too nasty on here. I don't know the specific situation to which you refer, but eating disorders are real and dangerous, so I'm not sure that ignoring what you think is unhealthy behavior is really a good idea either. But it should be done in the spirit of being helpful, not as an attack.

good point!
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    You can still provide guidance if you see something very strange or out of line. As much as we want to be positive, we also need to be realistic about healthy recommendations.
  • Chuckw40
    Chuckw40 Posts: 201
    Options
    Although I am not familiar with the thread in question in my opinion there are several people on this site who are only here to start arguments and attack people. They don't post a pic of themselves, or even bother to fill out their profiles. They don;t appear to have any weight loss goals either.

Anyone else notice this? It seems to be getting worse...
  • sandyfeet10
    sandyfeet10 Posts: 280 Member
    Options

good point!

I agree that if you ask a question, you should be prepared for varying opinions. It is just that some people have no class or respect for others and are hurtful in what they say. Those kind of comments are what we need to stay away from.
  • SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Everyone has a right to their own opinion...I always say "to each their own" Now for the haters I say "misery loves company" Just be happy because life is SO short. Love others even if they are your enemies :flowerforyou:
  • LillysGranny
    LillysGranny Posts: 431
    Options
    My conscience won't let me ignore behavior that I believe may really hurt someone, but there's no good reason to be ugly about trying to help.
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    In all fairness, I do hear you and see where you are coming from, HOWEVER, IF someone is asking for OPINIONS....they should be ready to hear any and all opinions. They are not forced to agree with or accept them.

This I agree with. I am a realist, I dont sugar coat stuff, if you want that ask your mommy what she thinks.
  • sweetsunlover
    Options
    indeed . am always telling my kids tht if u got nothing nice to say then dont say anything at all. happy postive things all the way :-)
  • rubyrenga
    rubyrenga Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Agreed! And aside from that thread, which I read too, I saw another really rude response from someone earlier today that was not even related to advice or whatever. Just a straight-up attack. What are people's deals? Why be on this site if you are just here to spread negative vibes? I get enough of those in real life!
  • flea2449
    flea2449 Posts: 500 Member
    Options

I TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU !!!!
  • godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! Discouraging comments are going to make people turn to food for comfort!
  • SMCNEIL40
    SMCNEIL40 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Totally Agree!! Very good post!
  • freebird240
    freebird240 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I agree too.. I won't want that to happen to me...