Tired of people "helping"? I definitely am.

Options
It's that time of year again. The holidays. In many ways for many people, that's a good thing. You reconnect with your family, you have a couple of drinks, you exchange gifts, etc. I do enjoy seeing both my own family and my in-laws during the holidays, and I love the coziness of the fall/winter months in general. There is a bad side to that though too, and I'm sure you all know what I'm talking about: when relatives give you advice you didn't ask for and don't want to hear because you just know it's wrong or it goes against absolutely everything you know and stand for. And with family, even the tiniest, most minuscule piece of unsolicited advice can be enough to send you through the roof. (At least that's how it is with me.) Family just has that knack for being unintentionally annoying.

This year, for me, there is a new variable being thrown in with the normal holiday annoyances: the subject of my weight loss. I will admit that right now I think it's a lot of fun to go to gatherings and see people I haven't seen in awhile. It's not so much that I like being the center of attention, but more that it's nice to see that my hard work (65 lbs. of weight loss) is not only noticeable to people the second they see me, but is downright shocking. My wife and I were at a Halloween party with some people last weekend, and several of the people there literally didn't recognize me. (As we were leaving, the host actually pulled us aside and said that there was a group of people in the kitchen talking about how my wife must have gotten divorced and remarried over the last year or so.) Those are THRILLING moments! It means I have achieved my goal!!!

But then always comes the advice. Here was a conversation with my sister this week:

sister: You're doing really well! Nice job!
me: Thanks! I have about 10 more lbs. to go and it's going pretty slow, but I'll get there.
sister: Oh, really? Have you tried lifting weights?
me: It's not about that--it's just that I'm close to goal and it's just going slower because I've upped my calories.
sister: Have you tried giving up dairy?
me: Oh my god, no. Why would I do that? I love dairy.
sister: Have you tried cross fit?

It just went on and on like that, and that's how almost all conversation of that nature go. If I mention that my weight loss has slowed to a crawl, I get a zillion suggestions, 99% of which are based on junk science and myths. The biggest one is always "Have you tried lifting weights?" Even when I explain to people, "No, based on an MRI that shows I have severe degenerative disc disease in my lower back as well as nerve damage, my physical therapist has advised that I stay far away from weight lifting." And what's the response to that? "How about just light weights?"

The "helping" never ends. In fact, for some reason, as I get smaller and smaller and healthier and healthier, the amount of "help" people want to give me INCREASES!!!! I want to scream at people, "I'm at least 100 lbs. lighter than you if not more! WHY ARE YOU TRYING TO HELP ME IN THE FIRST PLACE????"

It's only early November. It's about to get worse. Thanksgiving is coming. So is Christmas. New Year too. I think to cope, I'm going to make a master list of all the "suggestions" I get from family about how to lose this last 10 lbs. and then turn the list into another forum post in January. Another thing I'm going to try doing when getting compliments is just saying "Thanks!" instead of my standard, "Thanks! I still have a little ways to go, but I'm almost there!"

But most importantly, for those of you who are like me and get incredibly easily annoyed by your families and their supposed constructive criticism: I feel your pain, and stand with you. We will get through the holidays together, ok?

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    How about instead of saying "it's slowing to a crawl," just say, "Thanks. I'm really happy about it, and things are going according to plan." Because they are, right? You're sensibly planning for slower weight loss as you approach goal, and you have increased your calories intentionally to achieve that. People hear "it's slowing to a crawl" as the expression of a problem, and they care about you and want to help you with the problem you're telling them you have. It's a shame they don't know any better than to offer suggestions that are either based on myths or aren't suited to your particular situation, but if you tell them everything is good, they won't have a reason to offer suggestions.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Just smile and nod.

Everyone has an opinion. You do you and just let their well-meant advice go in one ear and out the other.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    That is why I don't discuss it.

"sister: You're doing really well! Nice job!
    me: Thanks! "

Anything else is a vague answer with no option to offer suggestions.

• pstegman888
    pstegman888 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    When people give me suggestions or tell me about some miracle pill or plan they are on, I just smile and say, "oh, wow, thanks, I'll look into that!" No sense in trying to convince them of their folly, LOL!
  • flaminica
    flaminica Posts: 304 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Next time that conversation comes up, do this:

me: Thanks!

Then ask her to pass the sprouts. Rinse repeat as needed. Feed a person enough one-word answers and they'll figure out you don't want to talk about it. Alternatively, if you're the bull-by-the-horns sort of person, say "I don't want to talk about it." then change the subject.

[edit] @3dogsrunning scooped me by a minute. Great minds...
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,868 Member
    Options
    That is why I don't discuss it.

"sister: You're doing really well! Nice job!
    me: Thanks! "

Anything else is a vague answer with no option to offer suggestions.

Yep ... this ^^

There are certain people who I'll discuss the details with ... but the rest just get "thanks".

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Leave off anything about a struggle. If you say it's slow or taking a long time or whatever, people will jump in to help. Just say thanks.

I really don't mind talking weight loss. If someone asks me if I've tried something I have no intention of trying I say I haven't, but I've heard of it, have they tried it? Or, if I haven't heard of it, I say that and ask about it.

I love talking weight loss, most of the time.

Usually, though, these days...people ask me for advice, I give it to them and then they go do whatever thing they wanted to do in the first place, lol. Still interesting, but that's how it usually goes now.
  • Working2BLean
    Working2BLean Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    We as past fat people have a track record of failing when it comes to managing food.

People will offer help. After all, it was the previous norm for us to fail at managing food.

Just because we have gotten a handle on managing food does not get us a ticker tape parade. It does not erase our past

So yeah, people may offer help.

It is good the conversation is about fitness and people are having it with you. Maybe you can redirect things.

I don't think mentioning how slow things are going is helping you though. It seems to be taken as an invitation for them to share and contribute to your success

It does not seem malicious.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    We as past fat people have a track record of failing when it comes to managing food.

People will offer help. After all, it was the previous norm for us to fail at managing food.

Just because we have gotten a handle on managing food does not get us a ticker tape parade. It does not erase our past

So yeah, people may offer help.

It is good the conversation is about fitness and people are having it with you. Maybe you can redirect things.

I don't think mentioning how slow things are going is helping you though. It seems to be taken as an invitation for them to share and contribute to your success

It does not seem malicious.

So because I was overweight in the past everyone gets to tell me how to "manage" my food?

Not everyone's previous norm was failing to manage food. My overweight period was out of the norm for me.

I don't think anyone said it was malicious.
  • sdraper2014
    sdraper2014 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I think it is a bit like how you respond to being asked how you are? If you respond "I am good"people leave it at that, if you say, "oh not great", or "I am having a crappy day" it is taken as an invite to talk about it. If they comment on your weightloss and you say something that is construed as a negative like that is has slowed they want to offer support because it is a pretty ingrained social response and many people would actually find it a bit odd if they didn't comment or offer help.

Now, they shouldn't take you eating pizza or other high calorie foods as an invite to comment, that is something different altogether, and is unsolicited , but if you give them an opening by saying something isn't going well, or if it is going slowly they will jump on board to try and help because I think they do want you to succeed.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote:
    If someone asks me if I've tried something I have no intention of trying I say I haven't, but I've heard of it, have they tried it?
    Or if you want to be a bit more blunt...
    "No, I haven't tried that. How has it worked for you? How many pounds have you lost doing that?"
    Then sit back & watch them squirm, esp. if you know full well they're still overweight/obese and have
    lost exactly 0 pounds and haven't exercised since 6th grade gym class.

"That's an interesting suggestion. Hey, did you watch the game last night?"

"That's something I hadn't thought to try. Hey, did you watch the game last night?"

"I'll run that past my doctor/dietician/PT. Hey, did you watch the game last night?"

"Thank you for your concern. Hey, did you watch the game last night?"

But overall, just saying "thanks", or maybe, "thanks, it's nice to see my hard work paying off", and
    leave it at that, should derail the advice-givers.
  • flaminica
    flaminica Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    MKEgal wrote: »

But overall, just saying "thanks", or maybe, "thanks, it's nice to see my hard work paying off", and
    leave it at that, should derail the advice-givers.

Amazing how people think that someone who's lost 65 lbs or more needs advice.
  • Barbs2222
    Barbs2222 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Thanks for bringing this up. If anyone notices I've lost weight, now have a plan because of all the advise here. I'm just going to say, "Thanks, I'm really proud of myself." I'm realizing I want a compliment not advise, so I'm going to give it to myself. What can they say then right?
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    you: Thank you. How are the kids?

Absolutely do not mention that you have a little more to go. That unleashes an avalanche of stupid comments and suggestions because they feel they have to say something. What you have done is so so so very far out of the ordinary.

Let these people talk about themselves.
    IF anyone wants more info about how you did it or something, tell them you will get back to them later and then don't get back to them.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Change directions in the conversation. Like the above poster said, they complement you and you thank them then ask an unrelated question about them.

I have the opposite issue. People ask me for advice instead of trying to give me advice (except strangers in the grocery line, they want to tell me my donuts will make me fat). Usually I tell them I'd love to help them if they want to contact me later for it.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    Change directions in the conversation. Like the above poster said, they complement you and you thank them then ask an unrelated question about them.

I have the opposite issue. People ask me for advice instead of trying to give me advice (except strangers in the grocery line, they want to tell me my donuts will make me fat). Usually I tell them I'd love to help them if they want to contact me later for it.

...in which case, the direct 'shut 'em down' answer is "If I wanted to look like you, I'd eat like you". :smile:
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Have you tried lifting weights though?

(notsrs)
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    usmcmp wrote: »

...in which case, the direct 'shut 'em down' answer is "If I wanted to look like you, I'd eat like you". :smile:

I usually tell them they make great fuel as I'm prepping for a bodybuilding competition and considering I took first place last time it must be a good strategy.
  • 717Shelly
    717Shelly Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I've lost 90+ pounds and I'm still getting the "helpful" advice from people. I'm pretty sure I know what I'm doing... Most recently it was a coworker offering to share her new fad, Forskalin. She's tried over 3 fad diets since June (that I know of) and hasn't maintained a loss. Since June I've lost 55 pounds. Pretty sure she shouldn't be the one offering any advice.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options

But most importantly, for those of you who are like me and get incredibly easily annoyed by your families and their supposed constructive criticism: I feel your pain, and stand with you. We will get through the holidays together, ok?

hmmm, maybe this is the problem, no?