Same size after 20 pound weight loss

Options
Most of you girls are saying it takes 10 pounds on average to drop a pant size.. And I'm over here still wearing the same size and I lost 20 pounds :(

Replies

• CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    I've lost 18 and my pants still fit. Did you do what I did and buy stretchier jeans forever? Cause those "appear" to fit when you're overweight by being stretchy, but when you lose they fit without stretching, so they still fit. That's what's going on with mine.

It could also be that you're just losing weight in your extremities first, torso later. My grandma just dropped a TON of weight but when she started she lost from her fingers up. She had skinny, spindly pianist fingers for a long while before the rest of her started to get smaller. It seems to be pretty common for women on that side of the family to lose weight this way.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    Options
    Also, Congratulations on your loss!!!!!! You've reached a real milestone, so don't let your jeans bring you down!
  • ditsyblond17
    ditsyblond17 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    scorpio505 wrote: »
    Most of you girls are saying it takes 10 pounds on average to drop a pant size.. And I'm over here still wearing the same size and I lost 20 pounds :(

I just thought of something...
    1) could be muscle! You dropped fat, but maybe some of it was replaced by muscle which still technically takes up space OR
    2.) Maybe it was internal fat. Which they say could be the worst fat to have around your organs!

Either way, you will get there! Congrats on such an amazing feat! You will notice soon enough :)
  • scorpio505
    scorpio505 Posts: 20 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Lol no regular Levi's. They fit better though. But I would've thought that I would drop a least one pants size. I'm 162 now, and my goal weight is around 130. So just 30 more pounds to go.. That is why I thought these 20 pounds would show more. Oh well. Got to keep going! It'll happen when it happens lol. Thanks for your response and support :)
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Agree w/Coffee. I have a pair of jeans that started to fit about 10 lbs ago. They're a snug fit and will probably continue to fit ten lbs down (if I ever get that little). You can't always pick and choose where your body loses from

Also, are you weight training, since you would like to get your size down, not just the scale?

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach/p1
  • scorpio505
    Options

1) could be muscle! You dropped fat, but maybe some of it was replaced by muscle which still technically takes up space OR
    2.) Maybe it was internal fat. Which they say could be the worst fat to have around your organs!

Either way, you will get there! Congrats on such an amazing feat! You will notice soon enough :)

• scorpio505
    Options
    Thank you :))))
  • scorpio505
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    Agree w/Coffee. I have a pair of jeans that started to fit about 10 lbs ago. They're a snug fit and will probably continue to fit ten lbs down (if I ever get that little). You can't always pick and choose where your body loses from

Also, are you weight training, since you would like to get your size down, not just the scale?

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach/p1

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    How many garments are you comparing? One brand's size 10 is another's size 12.

Have you washed any of these items lately? Clothes shrink in the wash, so they seem tighter when you put them on after washing.

I'm sure you've lost weight somewhere if you've lost 20 lbs.
  • scorpio505
    Options
    I started t25 last week. Before that I was doing cardio. Yes, I guess I can't control where I lose the weight.. I wish I could! Lol. The scale is going down and my pants fit better. But no drop in size.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »

Have you washed any of these items lately? Clothes shrink in the wash, so they seem tighter when you put them on after washing.

Seconded on the brand thing! There is so much variation, both in size and fit type. Like if you're comparing a 12 "Curvy" to a 12 "skinny" jean (even in the same brand) or something, that would throw it WAY off.

ETA: As does the rise (mid, high, hip-huggers(low rise)) and the length (if you are shorter and your jeans are too long, like me, you end up accidentally wearing them higher to make up the difference, but this is a short people not finding their size in petite thing, so may not apply)
  • NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    Options

Unlikely to be muscle. You don't gain muscle in a deficit. :)
  • scorpio505
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »

Seconded on the brand thing! There is so much variation, both in size and fit type. Like if you're comparing a 12 "Curvy" to a 12 "skinny" jean (even in the same brand) or something, that would throw it WAY off.

ETA: As does the rise (mid, high, hip-huggers(low rise)) and the length (if you are shorter and your jeans are too long, like me, you end up accidentally wearing them higher to make up the difference, but this is a short people not finding their size in petite thing, so may not apply)

• scorpio505
    Options
    Lol no I'm tall 5'7. But most my pants are a little low rise and are straight jeans. Same brand and sizes.
  • alsarve
    alsarve Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have lost approx 35 lbs and have barely went down a pants size! Aargh! Lol So I def feel your pain. I lost a lot of weight everywhere but my stomach. Not excited to see that is where the weight will come off last. Good luck on your journey!
  • Aani15
    Aani15 Posts: 172 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

Unlikely to be muscle. You don't gain muscle in a deficit. :)

It is not true.
    I have lost 7+ kg (1 kg=2.2 pounds) and gained 4% muscle mass (or lost 4% body fat).

Addition: I had lost both muscle mass and body fat when focusing on cardio alone back in 2013 (10 km runs/4 times a week). But for the past two years, I am weight training, cardio mostly as a warm up and on off days, cycling, swim etc. if have time )
  • KT_3009
    KT_3009 Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    The last time I lost weight I didn't go down a size until I lost 18-20lbs. I found it frustrating but mainly because I could see the changes in my hips and thighs and also the scale! Just keep going strong and you'll be going down a size just don't rush things :)
  • dammitjanet0161
    dammitjanet0161 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I've lost around 25 lbs and haven't really gone down a size. I'm tall too which makes a difference compared to someone more petite, plus the clothes fit me better now whereas before there was probably an element of denial going on...
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    alsarve wrote: »
    I have lost approx 35 lbs and have barely went down a pants size! Aargh! Lol So I def feel your pain. I lost a lot of weight everywhere but my stomach. Not excited to see that is where the weight will come off last. Good luck on your journey!

Same here. It took me nearly 30 pounds before my pants were too big for me, all because of my stomach. So I bought a pair of new pants, size 16. Now, five more pounds later (35 pounds total lost), my new pants are starting to get loose because FINALLY the stomach fat is going down. I'll probably lose a size every five pounds or so for the next 25 until I reach goal, because at goal weight, I wore a size 6.