Replies

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Kalikel wrote: »
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    It's generally used in an insulting way. I don't know exactly what it is supposed to mean. I kind of prefer to not be well versed in phrases like "dem feelz."

You admit you don't know what it means but you believe it's insulting.

Why would you automatically assume that?

(I *do* understand what it means and 3/4 of the time it is clearly not used in an insulting way and the other 1/4 isn't entirely clear.)

Perhaps this is indicative of our differing general outlooks on other people's intentions in the forums?
    "Our differing general outlooks" would imply that we have had a conversation about it, which I don't believe we have. I don't know your outlook on anything. I don't remember seeing you post anything. With 20,000+ posts, you obviously have! I just don't remember any of it. I'm not asking, either.

You probably would have assumed whatever you read of mine was insulting anyhow.

And no conversation is necessary to know that we see things differently. Just read through the recent posts in this thread.
    Why is that? Is a lot of what you say nasty and insulting?

Wow.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    L8hEx6f.jpg
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    There will always be people in life who like being the victim. They will take **everything** as an insult , and always feel they have been picked on or insulted somehow.
    If someone gets insulted by the slang " dem feelz" then the internet may not be the best place for them.
    There's slang used all the time , woo, derp, dem feelz , and so on. Not everything is an insult. But if people enjoy playing the victim, then go for it.
  • VykkDraygoVPR
    VykkDraygoVPR Posts: 465 Member
    It's generally used in an insulting way. I don't know exactly what it is supposed to mean. I kind of prefer to not be well versed in phrases like "dem feelz."

I would say that it usually isn't used in a sarcastic or derogatory manner. It can be, but it's also just a way of showing that you commiserate. I've used it before. Except I usually say something like "I know those feels."

This post reeks of petulance, which I honestly doubt was your intent. :/
  • myfelinepal
    myfelinepal Posts: 13,000 Member
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    There will always be people in life who like being the victim. They will take **everything** as an insult , and always feel they have been picked on or insulted somehow.
    If someone gets insulted by the slang " dem feelz" then the internet may not be the best place for them.
    There's slang used all the time , woo, derp, dem feelz , and so on. Not everything is an insult. But if people enjoy playing the victim, then go for it.

Personally, I'm insulted by the term Beast Mode. My back isn't *that* hairy.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Wait, who all are insulted now by something in this thread? I'm losing track, there are so many!

I'm going to have to find somebody to be insulted on behalf of. I'll keep an eye out :grin:
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTnLwWenoFGwtGfGgfiahnQFIEs5AD9HkGS9mqXYRnzn97Zk2tpdw
  • VykkDraygoVPR
    As an old hag, I often do google searches on terms that I am unfamiliar with. I have learned some really interesting things and some really silly things. My kids laugh at me when I learn some new slang or internet acronym and use it incorrectly. I have learned to use caution until I am sure of correct usage.

To be fair, I laugh at my mom in these situations, but then just warn her off. The internet is like an *kitten*. In that I feel it's best left unexplored.

That might mean I'm getting old too. ;)
  • cafeaulait7

I would say that it usually isn't used in a sarcastic or derogatory manner. It can be, but it's also just a way of showing that you commiserate. I've used it before. Except I usually say something like "I know those feels."

You think so? So did others, but I thought she was just being blunt.

Some people just don't like internet slang. My dad hates it. 'Meh, his choice' is usually how I feel about that (not that anyone asked, lol).

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    It's amazing how certain people find everything offensive/insulting, even if they don't know what it means/is used for.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    edited November 2015

Some people just don't like internet slang. My dad hates it. 'Meh, his choice' is usually how I feel about that (not that anyone asked, lol).

Not liking internet slang is one thing.
    Assuming something you don't know the meaning of is insulting is a bit different.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    elphie754 wrote: »
    It's amazing how certain people find everything offensive/insulting, even if they don't know what it means/is used for.

It is very telling.
  • cafeaulait7

Assuming something you don't know the meaning of is insulting is a bit different.

Oh, is that what was petulant? OK. I have to admit I don't think I've ever used that word myself.
  • VykkDraygoVPR

I did add the caveat (I really don't believe that was the intent). In either case disliking slang is different from just assuming it is meant to be offensive.

I hate when my brother in law says something is "beast." But he's 10 years younger. I assume he just grew up in a different generation, rather than assuming he's an *kitten*. I mean, he is an *kitten*, but he's a loveable *kitten*, not an intollerable *kitten*.
  • cafeaulait7

I did add the caveat (I really don't believe that was the intent). In either case disliking slang is different from just assuming it is meant to be offensive.

I hate when my brother in law says something is "beast." But he's 10 years younger. I assume he just grew up in a different generation, rather than assuming he's an *kitten*. I mean, he is an *kitten*, but he's a loveable *kitten*, not an intollerable *kitten*.

Ha! My younger brother is an **** but he's half lovable and half intolerable :grin: He says words I don't like very much, yeah, but since he can be intolerable I don't know what to think of the words themselves ;)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member

YOU, I like!
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member

There is a difference between not liking slang and being the person who keeps claiming things along the lines of " I don't know exactly what it is supposed to mean" while passing judgement if it is insulting or not.
  • SaintGiff
    SaintGiff Posts: 3,678 Member
    2015: "Dem feelz, doe" over the internet.

1965:

OOD01pZ.gif
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

YOU, I like!

article-2117656-123FCEEC000005DC-545_634x436.jpg
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    SaintGiff wrote: »
    2015: "Dem feelz, doe" over the internet.

1965:

OOD01pZ.gif

Perfect.