Women who have lost weight after the onset of menopause (50+)

Options
3 years ago I was slowly shedding weight following another diet plan. At the 30 lb. point I went into full menopause and the weight. loss. just. stopped. I have been gaining it all back. Frustrating! And starving! Don't tell me to just eat an apple, please! I probably actually eat too much fruit. I am dangerously close to metabolic syndrome now, and would like to pursue a plan like that recommended for a diabetic--before I get diabetes! I get at least 20 minutes of exercise most days (treadmill, walking, dancing). Any suggestions? How did you do it? I would love to hear from any women who have lost 40+ lbs. after menopause...

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I know my loss was only 30 lb, but I think it is relevant to you as I did it during menopause.

If you can get your head around it, menopause does not preclude weight loss, and your metabolism is slowing at approximately the same rate it has been since your early 20's. if you have any medical conditions, make sure you are having them treated and monitored, as some could inhibit weight loss.

I actually thought I was just finishing menopause as I hadn't had a period for 11 months, then lo and behold, back they came for a couple of months.

It was about 4 month after that I decided to lose weight, 30lb, and improve my cardiovascular systems, bone density and strength.

I ate at a reasonable calorie deficit, and lost the first 20 lb in 6 month, the last 10 lb took another 6 month.
    I ate what I like, just reduced portion size.

Counting calories on MFP and using a food scale really does work.

During this year I exercised.

First 3 month aqua fit, I had never exercised ever, and was lucky that the first thing I tried, I liked.

Second 6 month, added walking,(10k=90min), aerobics, and belly dancing.

Last 3 month, strength training, hand weights and body work.

I have maintained the weight loss for 6 years, and continue to do a variety of structured exercises autumn and winter. I am active enough in the spring and summer that all I do is bodyweight strength training.

This fall I am learning to swim, learning yoga, and using the rowing machine, as post work out cardio in the gym. All are new thing this year.

Give MFP a try, you can incorporate a pre diabetic eating plan into it, and it will help you track your macros for pre diabetes as well calories for weight loss.

Cheers, h.
    Forgot to add, I was 55 when I started; 62 now. My before pic is in my profile.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Yes, I lost over 40 pounds after menopause.
    I ate 1200 calories a day plus 1/2 to all of my exercise calories back depending on my hunger.
    I worked out (and continue to workout) at least 1 hour per day.
    1 hour for cardio 6 days a week
    Strength training 3 days a week
    I eat whatever I want within my calorie goal.
    Lots of veg., some fruit
    Beef, chicken, fish and eggs.
    Nuts and nut butters.
    Occasional pasta.
    Bread.
    Oatmeal or musli.
    Lentils, beans.
    Chocolate, ice cream.
    Butter, olive oil.
    Anything I want within my goal.
    It works even after menopause!
    I usually end up eating about 1500-1700 calories a day. I'm only 5'2" so that is very satisfying to me as long as I have plenty of fat, protein and fiber.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    You should join this group:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/506-near-or-post-menopausal-group

They'll be delighted to accept you! :)
  • Lynzdee18
    Lynzdee18 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I went through menopause in my late 40's. I'll be 60 in the spring. I lost over 40 pounds when I was about 54. To do so, I cut out "white" food. Seriously. No breads, soy instead of cows milk. I do continue eating 0% Greek yogurt. Every day. It wasn't so hard once I got into the routine.

Over the past four to five years I got cocky. Forgot what white food does to my appetite and my a##.

This time I am finding that the weight comes off even easier with the logging discipline of MFP. By cutting out breads, potatoes, baked goods, I don't have cravings and actuaslly enjoy my plate full of veg snd some lean protein. I eat around 1200 per day and rarely feel deprived. I did give up wine but that's not a bad thing. When I get to maintenance, I'll think about adding a glass or two occasionally.

I do use the treadmill 4 times a week during the summer but am more active in the winter- walk or bike 1.6 miles to asnd from ommunity gym five days a week where I do elliptical and weights and lots of Pickleball almost every day.

I've lost 34 pounds since the July with 19 to go to mid BMI healthy range. I started at a BMI of over 29 and am now at 24.2. I'm feeling pretty good about my progress and don't believe being post menopausal has slowed my ability to lose weight.

Now, to just behave when I get to my goal and avoid this whole process again! Hope I'm smart enough this time!

There is hope after menopause. Just be religious with your weighing and logging. I found it got easier once I realized what foods kept me energized and full and what I needed to avoid because they brought on cravings.

Hope the helps. Good luck!
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    I am 52 & finished with menopause. Like the poster up above it seemed to go away TWICE & subsequently came back but now Elvis has really 'left the building' so to speak...
    I'm pretty new around here but I appear to be losing weight. I'm in week 7 of a 10-week fact finding & calorie cutting mission that includes lots of walking. My scale was broken when I started so I don't have a proper starting weight... I've lost anywhere between 13 and 7 lbs depending on which potentially bogus number you want to use. (Now I have an aria by Fitbit so my subsequent readings will be more reliable.)
    Here are my observations: figure out just how active you already are. You'll want to get MORE active to help along weight loss. I'm a school sub so walking 10k steps a day is nothing special. I had to bump myself to 100k a week. Those additional 30k steps each week really help!
    Really pay attention to the calories. In the past I've wanted to believe I could exercise my indiscretions away, and as a young woman I could. Now not so much. Exercise is great, but portion control is essential. I don't drive myself crazy with macros but I do watch what feels 'right' for me. I like a good amount of protein a day, moderate carbs and sugars below 50 grams. When all those elements come together I seem to feel my best.
    Be patient! If weight loss seems slower as we age, maybe that's helpful for tightening skin, etc. Be grateful!
    That's all I've got. I'm having a lot of fun with this, I must admit. I don't feel rushed, I don't feel ashamed, I don't feel pressure to look a certain way.
    Best of luck to you! Slow, post menopausal weight loss that unfolds gradually can be sweet.
  • velstone
    velstone Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Yes, I lost over 40 pounds after menopause.
    I ate 1200 calories a day plus 1/2 to all of my exercise calories back depending on my hunger.
    I worked out (and continue to workout) at least 1 hour per day.
    1 hour for cardio 6 days a week
    Strength training 3 days a week
    I eat whatever I want within my calorie goal.
    Lots of veg., some fruit
    Beef, chicken, fish and eggs.
    Nuts and nut butters.
    Occasional pasta.
    Bread.
    Oatmeal or musli.
    Lentils, beans.
    Chocolate, ice cream.
    Butter, olive oil.
    Anything I want within my goal.
    It works even after menopause!
    I usually end up eating about 1500-1700 calories a day. I'm only 5'2" so that is very satisfying to me as long as I have plenty of fat, protein and fiber.

Thank you for your response! It looks like I'm going to just have to work more of it off, as I feel kind of starved on 1200 calories a day. I got a chuckle about the ice cream, as we run an ice cream stand 6 months of the year, and we just closed it for the season 3 days ago. It was tough! Plus a lot of the time I thought I was busy enough running around, making recipes, working in the shop, vegetable gardening, and working my other job to not worry about additional exercise. Wrong! I also see that I am really going to have to commit to logging my intake, which truthfully I have never followed through with for more than a couple of days at a time. Just in the last few days, though, I see that MFP's food database is much more extensive than Weight Watchers, so it has been easier to log. Again, thank you. Vivian

• velstone
    Options
    scolaris wrote: »
    I am 52 & finished with menopause. Like the poster up above it seemed to go away TWICE & subsequently came back but now Elvis has really 'left the building' so to speak...
    I'm pretty new around here but I appear to be losing weight. I'm in week 7 of a 10-week fact finding & calorie cutting mission that includes lots of walking. My scale was broken when I started so I don't have a proper starting weight... I've lost anywhere between 13 and 7 lbs depending on which potentially bogus number you want to use. (Now I have an aria by Fitbit so my subsequent readings will be more reliable.)
    Here are my observations: figure out just how active you already are. You'll want to get MORE active to help along weight loss. I'm a school sub so walking 10k steps a day is nothing special. I had to bump myself to 100k a week. Those additional 30k steps each week really help!
    Really pay attention to the calories. In the past I've wanted to believe I could exercise my indiscretions away, and as a young woman I could. Now not so much. Exercise is great, but portion control is essential. I don't drive myself crazy with macros but I do watch what feels 'right' for me. I like a good amount of protein a day, moderate carbs and sugars below 50 grams. When all those elements come together I seem to feel my best.
    Be patient! If weight loss seems slower as we age, maybe that's helpful for tightening skin, etc. Be grateful!
    That's all I've got. I'm having a lot of fun with this, I must admit. I don't feel rushed, I don't feel ashamed, I don't feel pressure to look a certain way.
    Best of luck to you! Slow, post menopausal weight loss that unfolds gradually can be sweet.

Thank you for your response! I'm beginning to realize that if I feel like I'm starving on 1200 calories a day, I'm just going to have to rev up the exercise part...I've got the usual excuses, busy, work, chores, gardening, etc. Ain't that enough? I was able to get 20-25 minutes on my lunch because I was able to bring a treadmill to work, but when I got home, I didn't wanna. It does look I'm going to have to learn to eat foods with less sugar (yes, even fruit, I'm told, because of the sugar!) I really don't eat things like pasta and breads, or white potatoes, very often. I do find, however, that I need to cook home more because it's so much healthier than going out to eat! And I'm more likely to eat the foods mentioned in the last sentence when I do go out.
    Well, here goes! Thank you again for the encouragement!

• velstone
    Options
    Lynzdee18 wrote: »
    I went through menopause in my late 40's. I'll be 60 in the spring. I lost over 40 pounds when I was about 54. To do so, I cut out "white" food. Seriously. No breads, soy instead of cows milk. I do continue eating 0% Greek yogurt. Every day. It wasn't so hard once I got into the routine.

Over the past four to five years I got cocky. Forgot what white food does to my appetite and my a##.

This time I am finding that the weight comes off even easier with the logging discipline of MFP. By cutting out breads, potatoes, baked goods, I don't have cravings and actuaslly enjoy my plate full of veg snd some lean protein. I eat around 1200 per day and rarely feel deprived. I did give up wine but that's not a bad thing. When I get to maintenance, I'll think about adding a glass or two occasionally.

I do use the treadmill 4 times a week during the summer but am more active in the winter- walk or bike 1.6 miles to asnd from ommunity gym five days a week where I do elliptical and weights and lots of Pickleball almost every day.

I've lost 34 pounds since the July with 19 to go to mid BMI healthy range. I started at a BMI of over 29 and am now at 24.2. I'm feeling pretty good about my progress and don't believe being post menopausal has slowed my ability to lose weight.

Now, to just behave when I get to my goal and avoid this whole process again! Hope I'm smart enough this time!

There is hope after menopause. Just be religious with your weighing and logging. I found it got easier once I realized what foods kept me energized and full and what I needed to avoid because they brought on cravings.

Hope the helps. Good luck!

Hi, thank you for your response. I am seeing over and over that I need to ramp up the exercise and to be diligent with the logging. I played with this site a couple years ago, but didn't commit. I did join WW on-line, but I found the points system tedious to keep up with, and very unsatisfying (That's how I lost 30 lbs., however) and their database wasn't nearly as comprehensive as MFP!! In the last couple days, I haven't yet had to log a food that wasn't in the database. Thank you for candor, and best wishes in your journey. I have a feeling you're going to be successful! By the way, what's pickleball?

Vivian

• velstone
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    You should join this group:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/506-near-or-post-menopausal-group

They'll be delighted to accept you! :)

Thank you for the referral! I need all the help I can get! Vivian

• LaceyBirds
    LaceyBirds Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    You might want to read and bookmark this thread, lots of good info there: community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10047153/55-65-year-old-womens-success/p1

I posted my story there a few days ago, it will be on the last page. I'm about to turn 60, post-surgical-menopause as of 13 years ago, and have currently lost 52 pounds, with 43 left to go. My personal opinion is that you need to log everything you consume - it has been essential for me to lose this weight.

Good luck to you. :)
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Vivian, there has been a lot of talk about upping your exercise in the last few posts, and although I too would encourage you to include some exercise, I would add a couple of caveats to that.

Approach exercise like you have your food; this is a life style; not a quick fix.

Find exercises you like, and can continue doing into the distant future.
    Yes, if you wish, you can go gung-ho at the beginning, but as you get close to your goal taper it to a maintenance level, just like you will your food.

Just like if you go back to your old eating habits once you reach your goal, you will put weight back on. If you go back to your old exercise level, while trying to eat at a maintenance that was determined by a higher activity level, you will put weight back on.

There is a saying that is often quoted around these forums:

'You can't out exercise a bad diet.'

Take a few weeks just getting your diet and logging sorted, before worrying about starting a new exercise plan.

I do a variety of exercises, but I know my fall back, if I do nothing else, is aqua fit. It is a decent workout now, a combination of cardio and resistance, and it is an exercise that I will still be able to do when I am much older.

I should add here, I am not a step logger. What I walk in a day is just part of my regular daily activity. If I am reading a really good book and barely move, or spend the afternoon chasing my grandson on his bike, it all evens out.
    I have walked at a purposeful pace for 10k races ( under 90min), and that I have counted.

I notice most of your exercise is cardio, a faster calorie burner than resistance work, but if you can find something you can do to challenge your muscles, bodyweight, hand weighs, or heavy lifting, it will help you maintain your bones and muscles as you get older.

Unfortunately it does get a little harder to maintain LBM as we get older, and the natural decrease in muscle as we inadvertently become more sedentary is one of the contributors in an older persons lower BMR.

Sorry, that was a bit longer than anticipated.

Cheers, h.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    velstone wrote: »
    3 years ago I was slowly shedding weight following another diet plan. At the 30 lb. point I went into full menopause and the weight. loss. just. stopped. I have been gaining it all back. Frustrating! And starving! Don't tell me to just eat an apple, please! I probably actually eat too much fruit. I am dangerously close to metabolic syndrome now, and would like to pursue a plan like that recommended for a diabetic--before I get diabetes! I get at least 20 minutes of exercise most days (treadmill, walking, dancing). Any suggestions? How did you do it? I would love to hear from any women who have lost 40+ lbs. after menopause...

Hi Vivian - I'd prefer to look at your food diary before making food recommendations, but usually when people say they are starving they are not eating a lot of protein in relationship to carbs. On http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings if you change your Diary Sharing to Public we can take a look and make suggestions. You mentioned you'd only been logging a few days, but if you've been accurate for those few days, that will give us a place to start.
  • Ciccina2
    Ciccina2 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Check out http://www.forksoverknives.com Moving to a plant-based diet is the key to being healthy and losing weight. Also check out "The Last Heart Attack" on YouTube
  • MarcyKirkton
    MarcyKirkton Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I'm post-menapausal, and so far, so good on losing weight. What I focus on is nutrition. This program's suggested calorie level didn't work for me, but my own adjusted amount of calories works great. What I found was that I really have had to change WHAT I was eating to make this work. Fruit was fine, but I switched to non-sugar canned fruit. It's low-cal and is a great snack. I eliminated chips, fast food, and all that unhealthy food. Celery and guacamole is great addition. I cook much lighter.......less everything stuffed in enchiladas, less cheese, etc. I add a lot of veggies to every meal. Fills me up more.

I added in exercise that's fun.......Zumba Gold. My group is not really that old, so that class really is a good aerobic workout. Mostly, it's fun.

I would never do what's regularly recommended here, which is weighing food, etc. I live a regular life, and that just doesn't seem even remotely healthy to me, anyway. Obsession isn't something I wish to cultivate in my own life. I definitely would not follow some of the zanier fasting plans recommended by some people here. I think that's unhealthy at any age, nevermind if you're older.

Just plain good commonsense works. Estimating food calories isn't hard once I made up my mind to lose. There are many excellent guides to how to know approximately how much meat is in that piece of roast. I simply use the suggested serving size for things like cereal. 1/2 cup is 1/2 cup........and if I eat 3/4, then I log it! No need to get much fancier than this in my opinion.

My own rate of loss has been steady as she goes, once I found the actual correct calorie level that's appropriate for my body. I would take this program as merely a guide, not written in stone.

Most of all, it's attitude........like anything else in life. Menapause is natural. No reason to make that a hinderance to what you want to do in life.

• kfrazier
    kfrazier Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies! "Fixin' to get started. Again!" I am amazed by the changes my body has gone through since I entered menopause. In my late 40's I was a avid exerciser - strength training 3 days per week plus running 5K for 3 days a week. Got down to a size 6 and 126 lbs, and then injured my shoulder to the point of needing physical therapy. I am fully recovered, but never got back to that type of commitment. I am now 54 and weigh more than I ever have (164). I keep trying to get back to that routine that I love, but find my self starting and stopping ....

Thanks for all of the inspiration here! I hope we can spur one another on!

~Kathy
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I'm post-menapausal, and so far, so good on losing weight. What I focus on is nutrition. This program's suggested calorie level didn't work for me, but my own adjusted amount of calories works great. What I found was that I really have had to change WHAT I was eating to make this work. Fruit was fine, but I switched to non-sugar canned fruit. It's low-cal and is a great snack. I eliminated chips, fast food, and all that unhealthy food. Celery and guacamole is great addition. I cook much lighter.......less everything stuffed in enchiladas, less cheese, etc. I add a lot of veggies to every meal. Fills me up more.

I added in exercise that's fun.......Zumba Gold. My group is not really that old, so that class really is a good aerobic workout. Mostly, it's fun.

I would never do what's regularly recommended here, which is weighing food, etc. I live a regular life, and that just doesn't seem even remotely healthy to me, anyway. Obsession isn't something I wish to cultivate in my own life. I definitely would not follow some of the zanier fasting plans recommended by some people here. I think that's unhealthy at any age, nevermind if you're older.

Just plain good commonsense works. Estimating food calories isn't hard once I made up my mind to lose. There are many excellent guides to how to know approximately how much meat is in that piece of roast. I simply use the suggested serving size for things like cereal. 1/2 cup is 1/2 cup........and if I eat 3/4, then I log it! No need to get much fancier than this in my opinion.

My own rate of loss has been steady as she goes, once I found the actual correct calorie level that's appropriate for my body. I would take this program as merely a guide, not written in stone.

Most of all, it's attitude........like anything else in life. Menapause is natural. No reason to make that a hinderance to what you want to do in life.

I also don't want obsession in my life and I'm okay with estimating here and there, but I DO like having the food scale to "audit" my estimating abilities. I use it once or twice a day, especially for calorie dense items like nuts or cheese.

• vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    This is the most successful I've been at weight loss - age 52 and done with menopause. I kept a low deficit because I like to eat. I am a pound or two from goal, currently eating 1875 + exercise calories. Now, has the weight loss been slow? Yes. But I didn't have too much to lose, and I haven't given up any foods that I love.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    vivmom2014 wrote: »
    This is the most successful I've been at weight loss - age 52 and done with menopause. I kept a low deficit because I like to eat. I am a pound or two from goal, currently eating 1875 + exercise calories. Now, has the weight loss been slow? Yes. But I didn't have too much to lose, and I haven't given up any foods that I love.

I think we're the same person!!! Hahaha