A Whole Lot of Haters!

Options

Replies

• jmgj27
    jmgj27 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I would just like to say I am tired of multiple posts telling me what I should say or do. People need to learn to be adults. People need to learn that a person expressing their opinion is just that. Everything should be taken with a gran of salt. People need to learn that expressing a view contrary to theirs is not a personal attack.

People need to put their big boy/girl pants on.

This. An opinion is just that. An opinion. Anything that is just a personal attack is out of order for sure but otherwise, this is a public forum and people are perfectly at liberty to express their opinions. There are many I disagree with but I simply choose to ignore them and move on.

Perhaps those posts are also just expressing an opinion? Don't they have the same right as you do to express your opinion? It is all in how you view it.

Say I do a post where I say that I don't like pie because it is fattening and blah blah blah and I don't like that other people keep obsessing over it. Am I telling you not to eat it? No. I am saying that I don't like it and I don't like the obsession. It's all in perception.

Absolutely. And I'm not going to start a topic telling you how offended I was by your opinion.
  • Losingitin2011
    Losingitin2011 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I would just like to say I am tired of multiple posts telling me what I should say or do. People need to learn to be adults. People need to learn that a person expressing their opinion is just that. Everything should be taken with a gran of salt. People need to learn that expressing a view contrary to theirs is not a personal attack.

This. An opinion is just that. An opinion. Anything that is just a personal attack is out of order for sure but otherwise, this is a public forum and people are perfectly at liberty to express their opinions. There are many I disagree with but I simply choose to ignore them and move on.

Perhaps those posts are also just expressing an opinion? Don't they have the same right as you do to express your opinion? It is all in how you view it.

Say I do a post where I say that I don't like pie because it is fattening and blah blah blah and I don't like that other people keep obsessing over it. Am I telling you not to eat it? No. I am saying that I don't like it and I don't like the obsession. It's all in perception.

Absolutely. And I'm not going to start a topic telling you how offended I was by your opinion.

But you could, that's your right. It is frustrating to see so much of the attitude that 1 person can have an opinion, but someone disagreeing can't.
  • jmgj27
    Options
    [/quote]

[/quote]

But you could, that's your right. It is frustrating to see so much of the attitude that 1 person can have an opinion, but someone disagreeing can't.
    [/quote]

Think we're actually both agreeing here! I'm happy to listen to your opinion and any others, regardless of whether I agree with them or not. I'm also at liberty to post my own opinions, as is any other poster. The only aggravation comes when limits are put on the liberty that should be allowed to each poster equally. That begins to step beyond the bounds of 'opinion' and into 'moral disapprobation'.
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options

I fully support her stating that everyone should play nice, just as I should be able to tell her that she stop telling people what to do. There is no right or wrong. There is no better argument. People will take what they will from each and every post. That is the magic of the internet and free speech (I suddenly feel like there should be a flag waving behind me and the voice over should be done by Morgan Freeman).
  • jmgj27
    Options
    [/quote]I fully support her stating that everyone should play nice, just as I should be able to tell her that she stop telling people what to do. There is no right or wrong. There is no better argument. People will take what they will from each and every post. That is the magic of the internet and free speech (I suddenly feel like there should be a flag waving behind me and the voice over should be done by Morgan Freeman).
    [/quote]

I agree with you Morgan. Ah, it's like we're creating the Shawshank Redemption final voiceover all over again!
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Hello MFP friends! I was reading a post that was supposed to be a success story and everyone rained on the girl's parade because they thought she was unhealthy. She wasn't asking for advice!

Let's revert back to childhood here...."If you don' t have anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all."

Let's make a promise to be kind and considerate. In addition, if someone is asking for an opinion, express it in a way as not to hurt that person!

Stop being rude and stay positive!

I promise to keep my comments positive and if someone asks for advice, I promise to give it without expressing judgement.

Who's with me??

How about know when it's not your thread. i don't believe in drinking soda. I have made it a point to stay out of threads that advocate for it. It's not my thread. Posting in a vegetarian or vegan thread that they can't get enough protein eating like that? Not your thread.

Stay in your lane people.
  • peteyTwang
    peteyTwang Posts: 250
    Options
    i agree with Dr. Phil Mc C. -- SERIOUS BIDNESS, indeedy
    I'm not going to start a topic telling you how offended I was by your opinion.

as they say in french :flowerforyou: "exactement!"
    I sold those big girl pants! :laugh::tongue:

:laugh:
  • Hollycat
    Hollycat Posts: 372
    Options
    You get more flies with honey!

Hollycat
    :flowerforyou:
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Although I am not familiar with the thread in question in my opinion there are several people on this site who are only here to start arguments and attack people. They don't post a pic of themselves, or even bother to fill out their profiles. They don;t appear to have any weight loss goals either.

Anyone else notice this? It seems to be getting worse...
    Ditto ....I been here a while and it is getting worse ..not sure what their motivation is but I try to avoid their threads and comments..
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    these posts always seem to backfire.
    here, look at the puppy!

puppy.jpg
  • lil_missfit
    lil_missfit Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    You get more flies with honey!

Hollycat

True dat :smile:
  • lil_missfit
    lil_missfit Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    here, look at the puppy!

puppy.jpg

You're soooooo right....they ALWAYS backfire:)) I love the cute puppy:))
  • Cristy_AZ
    Cristy_AZ Posts: 986
    Options
    here, look at the puppy!

puppy.jpg

• Shae3891
    Shae3891 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I'm all about that! Sometimes we forget to celebrate our victories, and we should be reminding each other to do that :)
  • gdelg732
    gdelg732 Posts: 12
    Options
    Agree!
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    Hello MFP friends! I was reading a post that was supposed to be a success story and everyone rained on the girl's parade because they thought she was unhealthy. She wasn't asking for advice!

Let's revert back to childhood here...."If you don' t have anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all."

Let's make a promise to be kind and considerate. In addition, if someone is asking for an opinion, express it in a way as not to hurt that person!

Stop being rude and stay positive!

I promise to keep my comments positive and if someone asks for advice, I promise to give it without expressing judgement.

Who's with me??

Nope. Not with you.

You put something out there expect opinions to follow. If you want to post stuff and not have comments left, start a blog and shut off the comment feature.

Just because advice is not asked for doesn't mean you should expect people to not make comments.
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    here, look at the puppy!

puppy.jpg

I see your puppy...and raise you a Surprise Kitten
    Y80P5.jpg

and the video

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Bmhjf0rKe8
  • Ghoulina
    Ghoulina Posts: 60 Member
    Options

THIS completely! I definitely have my big girl pants on...I just wish they were a few sizes smaller. Ughhh.
  • AngelsKisses75
    AngelsKisses75 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    In all fairness, I do hear you and see where you are coming from, HOWEVER, IF someone is asking for OPINIONS....they should be ready to hear any and all opinions. They are not forced to agree with or accept them.

Just sayin :)

*nods in agreement*
  • Samerah12
    Samerah12 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    If someone is doing something that is obviously unhealthy the supportive thing to do is to call them on it. Not to be rude or snarky, but to say "I can't congratulate you on this because what you're doing is dangerous and you should seriously reconsider".

Saying nothing is being complicit in that person's self delusion/destruction. That goes for the HGC dieters, the way undereaters, the way too thin trying to be thinner...

Guess I'm a hater.