Can we talk birth control ladies ?

Options

Replies

• LastingChanges
    LastingChanges Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I took mine for a short period maybe a year. My issue with it isn't so much that I gained weight, but that it made me bloated and changed my body shape. Like instead of nice curves all you saw is bloating everywhere.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Bonny132 wrote: »
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Kalikel wrote: »
    The fewer pills I take, the happier my body and I will be. No more pills for me!

I've reached the point in my life where I'm not dating men who may want children. Grandchildren, maybe, but not children. I no longer take responsibility. If they haven't had the big V, they must buy and use the birth control. Luckily, the one guy I was serious about had already had the big V, so it was cool. :)

I am sorry but forcing a guy to do this just to have intercourse with them, seems wrong to me on so many levels.

Forcing them to buy and use condoms is wrong on so many levels... ? I don't see a problem.

Birth control is a two way thing, you have BOTH got responsibilities, and personally if a guy had a vasectomy and wanted to have unprotected sex with me, it be a no way Jose till he had his pecker checked out and tested at the doctors. I take my sexual health very seriously, and before going serious with my current partner, we discussed birth control, and before deciding I was going on the pill, we Both got tested.

Unfortunately it doesn't appear that most people think this way - it being both the man and woman's responsibility. I hear quite often more than anything, that it's the woman's responsibility alone. Which sucks. We're expected to pump our bodies with hormones that affect many aspects of our mental and physical state. Or, shove scary foreign objects in them.
    So, I don't really see a problem with her situation in which she makes it the man's responsibility. Would I do it that way? Nah, I'd have us both but the condoms. But if she makes them aware of how she operates, I don't see a problem.
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I've been on the Pill (Yaz) for about 20 years. I have no issue with losing weight and BMR - TDEE calculators are spot on.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    I remember I was newly dating a guy who told me he had a vasectomy. I was like "WHOO HOO! I can have all kinds of sex and not have to worry about getting pregnant!" Too bad I was already pregnant and didn't know it...
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    The fewer pills I take, the happier my body and I will be. No more pills for me!

I've reached the point in my life where I'm not dating men who may want children. Grandchildren, maybe, but not children. I no longer take responsibility. If they haven't had the big V, they must buy and use the birth control. Luckily, the one guy I was serious about had already had the big V, so it was cool. :)

I am sorry but forcing a guy to do this just to have intercourse with them, seems wrong to me on so many levels.

Forcing them to buy and use condoms is wrong on so many levels... ? I don't see a problem.

Birth control is a two way thing, you have BOTH got responsibilities, and personally if a guy had a vasectomy and wanted to have unprotected sex with me, it be a no way Jose till he had his pecker checked out and tested at the doctors. I take my sexual health very seriously, and before going serious with my current partner, we discussed birth control, and before deciding I was going on the pill, we Both got tested.

Unfortunately it doesn't appear that most people think this way - it being both the man and woman's responsibility. I hear quite often more than anything, that it's the woman's responsibility alone. Which sucks. We're expected to pump our bodies with hormones that affect many aspects of our mental and physical state. Or, shove scary foreign objects in them.
    So, I don't really see a problem with her situation in which she makes it the man's responsibility. Would I do it that way? Nah, I'd have us both but the condoms. But if she makes them aware of how she operates, I don't see a problem.

First, it's not a bunch of men, lol. Since my ex, there's been one man. I do not sleep with every man I date.

Second, I don't think most men consider it the woman's responsibility. I hope not, anyway!

For many years, I took the pills. I no longer take pills that I don't absolutely need. I have my reasons for that and anyone with any sense at all would understand them, certainly anyone I'm about to make that big leap with.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with asking a man to wear a condom.
  • tara_means_star
    tara_means_star Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    When I got put on birth control, the doctor promised that if I was in a caloric deficit, the pill would not make me gain. I stayed on in 3 months, then came off of it. The reason I came off was because I have never in my life craved grease--fatty, greasy, oily foods---so bad. It got to the point that I wanted the greasiest foods I could find all the time. So, yes, I gained weight. The pill was indirect..I could have denied the cravings and not gained...but they were strong and I gave in and gained a significant amount of weight. The cravings didn't subside for a long time after I stopped the pill either.
  • lizwooshy
    lizwooshy Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I've been taking the pill for about 5 years and I've definitely gained weight since then, but who doesn't gain weight after high school? Lol. So it's hard to say if that's the cause.

I will say that I think my bc effects my moods and definitely makes me bloated. I get irritable very quickly and feel fatigued very often. I hardly remember the person I was before bc so idk if the pill is the cause or not.

With that being said, the pill has not hindered my ability to lose weight (24 pounds and counting)
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

Why? I mean, disclaimer, I'm a woman, but a vasectomy is a very simple, very LOW RISK (3% complications) procedure. Tube tying and female sterilization poses a much greater risk and is far far more invasive. Tit for tat, you go with the thing that's less dangerous. Ideally you do so in the confines of a committed relationship (because neither protects you from STD's, not because I'm against outside of marriage sex), but realistically there's nothing wrong with doing a cost/benefit analysis with this stuff and going with the safer option that meets the same goal.

That being said, I leave this one to the guys. It's your organ. But it would be equally wrong to demand that a woman undergo invasive surgery for the sake of procreation-free sex too. This isn't complicated, figure out what works between you and the ideally one person you're sleeping with at any given time.

ETA: 3%. phone tries to do math on it's own
  • lucky_lemon
    lucky_lemon Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm on the depo shot, haven't gained a pound on it. It's also easy to lose the weight as long as I stay within my calories. It does however make you want to eat more junk though.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options

No. Forcing a vasectomy. I have no issue with condoms what so ever.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options

Just? You say it like it means nothing.
  • Untilproud11
    Untilproud11 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I forgot to mention:

Anyone on a combination of metformin and birth control pills?
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options

Nobody said anything about anyone forcing anyone to do anything. You made that up. Other than your disapproval of the thing nobody said, do you have anything to add?
  • elphie754
    Options

I 100% agree it is both peoples responsibility.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options

Vasectomy wasn't the only option she gave, so, no, she wasn't making a vasectomy ultimatum.
    If they haven't had the big V, they must buy and use the birth control.
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    I've been on the pill for the last 15 years, 2 different pills and then the generic of the second one, and I've never found it affected my weight. I prefer being on the pill.. I just feel like it regulates my body better in a number of different ways.
  • elphie754
    Options
    As far as birth control pills, unfortunately I can not longer take it. I had a severe reaction to it earlier this year after trying to go back on it. I had taken it before without issue, but came off it. Earlier this year, I tried (seeing as I'd rather not have a physical barrier since in a committed relationship with two wonderful people) but wound up in the hospital. I don recall any weight gain, in fact, I lost weight on it because I was so sick all of the time.

Currently using nuvaring, and love it!!! Has not had an impact on weight loss and I seem to have no side effects from it so far.
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    I do not want this thread high jacked, I believe most of us in this thread are "safe in our own ways" personally I would like to hear more opinions about your personal experiences with birth control, as I see mentioned weight gain, cravings, no issues at all and reduced sex drive, and that only on page 1 :smile:
  • BLifts38
    BLifts38 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I've had the implanon in my arm for 4 years. I've heard that it CAN make you gain weight... but I think it just depends on the woman. It does give me INSANE mood swings and makes me want to eat everything in sight, but I control that urge.
  • hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Try searching. this is literally asked multiple times a week with the exact same answers. Some swear it magically makes you gain weight (which is false), people who have no problems, and those who find that it increases your hunger and acknowledge that's why they gained weight. Then a bunch of filler about other symptoms which can and do flake to people. If you aren't getting these answers from your prescribing physician get a new doctor. Educating you about medication they prescribe is kinda their job. Same with a pharmacist.