• Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    Eat more

this will possibly result in more weight gain
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    It just doesn't add up for you to never eat over 1200 calories a day yet still be 100 pounds overweight. Somewhere, at some point, you must be consuming extra calories. You say you had a glass of tea, is that sweetened tea? How much sugar is in it? Do you typically drink several of those in a day?

No just one 8oz glass and unsweetened tea

My doc is going to order several tests because something isn't right

Hiyah i think the tests are a good idea, but in the mean time weigh and log everything you eat for at least a month and see how you go. i know its a pain especially being busy but logging is a real eye opener. good luck
  • adriandeno29
    adriandeno29 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all the help. I'm done working and am super tired. Have to be up at 6 to get my babies up for school. Good night
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Log everything, using a food scale. Even if you are eating once a day, you could be eating more than double what you think you are eating. Use a food scale for a couple of weeks, and log every single thing you eat.
  • MeganDinkins1
    MeganDinkins1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    That's frustrating I'm sorry that's happening!
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    One of the lies I used to tell myself all the time, and I truly believed it, was that there's no way I could be eating that much. I absolutely knew my weight was not caused by the food I was eating, therefore something had to be wrong. After all, most days all I ate was a bowl of cereal. I went to the doctor, completely convinced there was something wrong but nope, nothing was wrong with me. All tests came back normal.

Then I got a food scale, slapped myself in the face and really took stock of what I was actually eating. Sure, those days where I only ate a bowl of cereal, those bowls were sometimes 75 percent of the total calories I should have had all day. Even if I ate nothing else but that, and even if I did that 3-4 days a week, there were days where I ate a lot more and not only wiped out whatever deficit I may have had, but added a surplus for the week.

Get a food scale. Get completely 100% honest with everything that goes in your mouth from the time you open your eyes until you go to bed, including condiments, oils, "bites" of this and that, and do it every, single day.

There is absolutely only ONE reason why you cannot lose weight, and that is because you are eating more calories than your body is using. Medical issues can cause a slower metabolism, so its a good idea to get some tests done, but even with medical issues, calories rule all.

I started at 170 pounds, 44 years old and 5'1" tall, and I could eat 1400+ calories a day and still lose.

Second bit of advice, give it time. Once you start truly logging accurately, weighing and tracking everything you eat, be patient. Start with a reasonable loss rate so that you can eat more during the day and not deprive yourself or feel hungry all day.

Oh, and your body doesn't store fat if it thinks you're not getting enough calories, so please ignore that advice. It's bunk.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    If you REALLY only eat 1200 or less, how are you that overweight? That makes no sense
  • MeganDinkins1
    MeganDinkins1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    it could be a metabolism thing
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    it could be a metabolism thing

For the OP to get to her current while eating as little as she claims being a "metabolism thing" would require her body to somehow maintain on about the amount of calories that the average adult brain alone needs per day.
  • blueboxgeek
    blueboxgeek Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    How can someone not lose weight if they eat like 400 calories a day? Surely the body needs more than that just to function? Even with a screwed metabolism and thyroid problems, someone who is overweight should lose weight if they eat 400 cals a day? Or even if they are struggling to reach 1200 cals? Surely 200lb takes more than 1200 cals a day to maintain weight? I don't understand it.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    There is no way you can be overweight if you eat 1200 calories. I was emaciated with an eating disorder eating 1600 a day. You have to be eating more than you think.

Im curious to see if you start religiously weighing and logging every single thing you put into your mouth if you see you are actually eating a lot more. I know it is a pain but try to do it religiously for a few weeks and see what happens. I would be interested in seeing your results.
  • alco1966
    alco1966 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone... before I first started MFP I also wasn't eating enough calories that I should be doing. I never ate breakfast, didn't always have lunch and most days only had an evening dinner... Since I started MFP I MAKE SURE I eat 3 meals a day... and make sure I eat 1200 calories a day.. I am now on 143 days and I have lost 24lbs... I know that might not sound a lot of weight to most of you but its coming of slowly and I'm delighted with the loss... so what I'm saying is.. if your daily calorie intake is 1250 then MAKE SURE you have 1250... good luck xx
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    It just doesn't add up for you to never eat over 1200 calories a day yet still be 100 pounds overweight. Somewhere, at some point, you must be consuming extra calories. You say you had a glass of tea, is that sweetened tea? How much sugar is in it? Do you typically drink several of those in a day?

No just one 8oz glass and unsweetened tea

My doc is going to order several tests because something isn't right

Hiyah i think the tests are a good idea, but in the mean time weigh and log everything you eat for at least a month and see how you go. i know its a pain especially being busy but logging is a real eye opener. good luck

This is a good idea.

Basically, it's one of two things. Either you have a medical problem or you are eating more than you think. It could be you are eating more of some high calorie things (like ranch dressing or people often underestimate meat servings, among other things) than you realize or you are forgetting to log certain days/meals/snacks or binging on occasion after undereating a lot. I know it may be frustrating, but the latter is MUCH more common than the former. In fact, studies show that even dietitians who should be experienced will underlog significantly. So doctors frequently assume that people are eating much more than they think, especially if they haven't been logging.

More information will be important for your doctor, so even if you think you couldn't possibly be eating too much, you should keep a detailed log. And of course more and more accurate information is important, so you should include everything (people are sometimes worried about being judged, so they do not).

If it is a medical issue, we can't help you -- you will need treatment of some sort or should work with a dietitian (prescribed/referred by your doctor) on a special diet.
  • johnniemadden3
    johnniemadden3 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I tried the Fast Metabolism Diet and it worked for me so far. I have lost 16 lbs in the last 2 months. Give it a try. Look up Hayley Pomroy on the web; she is the author of the book.
  • steuartcj
    steuartcj Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Eat your 1200 cals a day. Split into 4-6 meals a day. Drink lots of water 8-10 glasses per day. Exercise as much as possible. Weigh out everything. Take a vitamin supplement if you can, make sure you're getting the nutes you MUST have. Good luck.
  • plantedinpots
    plantedinpots Posts: 44 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    you don't gain 100 lbs, even with pregnancy, because you're not a big eater. you'll take diet pills but can't find the time to log accurately over the weekend because you were busy with your two older kids? i think you need to set some time aside for yourself to accurately track and keep record of what you're eating, when you're eating it, and how much you're eating. i feel as though you must be eating more than what you think you are. i don't mean to be so skeptical, but after you start losing weight, you'll understand that pretty much almost everything you've been saying just does not make sense. and not because you're a medical miracle, but because you're misinformed about the calorie content of what you're putting into your body.
    but hey, if your doctor says there is something else going on here, i'll eat my words.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    steuartcj wrote: »
    Eat your 1200 cals a day. Split into 4-6 meals a day. Drink lots of water 8-10 glasses per day. Exercise as much as possible. Weigh out everything. Take a vitamin supplement if you can, make sure you're getting the nutes you MUST have. Good luck.

Other than weighing food and hitting her goal, none of this is necessary.

OP, twelve days isn't enough time to say this isn't working. My first two weeks I gained two pounds. Be patient and make sure you are logging everything with as close to 100% accuracy as possible.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    No i don't diet I eat pretty healthy. Don't eat junk. I only can Handel one small piece of chocolate when it's that time of the month. I don't drink anything . I'm never thirsty and when I try to force anything I feel nauseous but never ever get sick.

These are the two glaring problems I see. Eating healthy also means eating enough to fuel your body. 400 calories a day doesn't do that. Sometimes 1200 a day doesn't do that either, depending on how active you are. And drinking is essential. You know the ol' facts they teach us in grade school about X% of our body is water.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    The Ranch dressing alone is probably 300 calories people don't know how much their eating because they don't want to know the truth.. Do you drink alcohol? The average brain burn 250 calories a day just keeping us breathing and alive so yes.. Moving 250lbs around burns massive amounts of calories 1200 calories for you is unhealthy bump up to 1700 calories and LOG EVERYTHING get a food scale and WEIGH everything..
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    you didn't get to 250lbs by struggling to hit 1200 calories.
    Either you have a very serious medical condition or you are eating waaaay more than you think.
    I'm 150lbs and am losing eating 1650 calories a day