November 2015 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Virkati wrote: »
    @Stoshew71 - Thank you!! That makes a lot of sense. Had to read it a couple of times to absorb it, but pretty sure I get it now. If I understand it correctly, the increase in speed I seek is (essentially) the end result of mileage done at the proper speed...as determined by the ability to hold a conversation *60-65 mhr. Endurance and stamina are built using the same base, but increase by being consistently able to hold a conversation regardless of pace. If I can maintain a conversation after increasing the pace, I'm still gaining improvements. If I can't, then to gain positive results I will have to reduce my speed.

So then, generally speaking, is it better to run more often, or more miles per run (without consideration to speed)? Currently I try to run every other day. I have a half marathon May 15 that I not only want to finish, I want to place in the top 25 of my age group. According to the stats from this year, I'd have to be able to finish in about 2:15. But currently I run about 13-14 mm. So is my goal for placement unreasonable?

I think you got it.

Whether to run more often or run more miles is actually determined by how much rest your physical system requires. In other words, when you are running, you are doing more than just making improvements in your heart and blood and muscles (your cardio vascular system). You are also stressing your physical body (the bones, the muscle tissue themselves, the tendons and ligaments). When you train, you stress and tear these down as well. You require rest to make sure these can get built back up and adaptions in those also take place. (For example, you don't lift weights everyday on the same muscle systems without expecting injury). The same goes for running. Until your physical body gets used to running more often, you start out by making sure you get enough rest in between work outs. So my suggestion is to first slowly increase miles per run until your physical body adapts enough so that you can take less rest days.
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    I have a half marathon May 15 that I not only want to finish, I want to place in the top 25 of my age group. According to the stats from this year, I'd have to be able to finish in about 2:15. But currently I run about 13-14 mm. So is my goal for placement unreasonable?

A 2:15 half marathon finish is about a 10:18 pace.

It's also a vLT of ~9:44, where currently you are at a vLT of ~12:44. You have about 6 months to get there. I believe that is a very good goal. Not saying definetely but certainly attainable. Just keep it up and don't get hurt.
    The trick is finding the sweet spot of how fast you can increase mileage and remain consistent. Be very concious of how your body feels after each run. And get enough calories and protein back into your body.
  • Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    @Stoshew71 - Thank you!! That makes a lot of sense. Had to read it a couple of times to absorb it, but pretty sure I get it now. If I understand it correctly, the increase in speed I seek is (essentially) the end result of mileage done at the proper speed...as determined by the ability to hold a conversation *60-65 mhr. Endurance and stamina are built using the same base, but increase by being consistently able to hold a conversation regardless of pace. If I can maintain a conversation after increasing the pace, I'm still gaining improvements. If I can't, then to gain positive results I will have to reduce my speed.

So then, generally speaking, is it better to run more often, or more miles per run (without consideration to speed)? Currently I try to run every other day. I have a half marathon May 15 that I not only want to finish, I want to place in the top 25 of my age group. According to the stats from this year, I'd have to be able to finish in about 2:15. But currently I run about 13-14 mm. So is my goal for placement unreasonable?

I think you got it.

Whether to run more often or run more miles is actually determined by how much rest your physical system requires. In other words, when you are running, you are doing more than just making improvements in your heart and blood and muscles (your cardio vascular system). You are also stressing your physical body (the bones, the muscle tissue themselves, the tendons and ligaments). When you train, you stress and tear these down as well. You require rest to make sure these can get built back up and adaptions in those also take place. (For example, you don't lift weights everyday on the same muscle systems without expecting injury). The same goes for running. Until your physical body gets used to running more often, you start out by making sure you get enough rest in between work outs. So my suggestion is to first slowly increase miles per run until your physical body adapts enough so that you can take less rest days.

@Stoshew71 Again with the great advice. A couple of months ago I realized I wasn't giving my body enough time between going hard at it each and every time. So I took a few weeks off, until all the aches and pains went away and started back going much easier on myself and forcing myself to take a full or active rest day after each run day. That has helped tremendously. Now I might have a little soreness, but not actual pain. I'll experiment as time goes on with adding in more running days. But for now it looks like I might just have to settle in and let nature take its course with the improvements. Thank you so much for taking the time to help me understand!!
  • Stoshew71
    Options

That's awesome. You should make a post on WRH and ask if any of the RD's ever have any extra medals that were unclaimed and to maybe send them to this cause?
  • dperich1968
    dperich1968 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    @patrikc333 I get that on again off again knee pain also. I will usually ice my knee afterwards and also make sure I use the roller for my IT band (I'm not a consistent with this as I should be). Yoga seems to help a lot with the aches and pains.

@Stoshew71 You explained the aerobic base training so well. Coming back from my illness I have had to really concentrate on this portion of my recovery. I still don't manage my aerobic MHR very well most days, but I keep trying. Thanks again for such a clear explanation.

Nov 3 - 4.73 walking
    Nov 5 - 7.00
    Nov 6 - yoga and stretches
    Nov 7 - family time
    Nov 8 - family time
    Nov 9 - 3.2
    Nov 10 - 4.59
    Nov 12 - 5.15 (3 run, 2.15 walk)

exercise.png
  • Amandajs232
    Amandajs232 Posts: 194 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I am really struggling this week. Knee felt niggly but nothing major, couldn't find motivation to keep going tonight. I have been trying to go "easy" which is very slow (7-7.5kph) but feel that's not making me fitter or faster but when I try to push a little, I end up quitting. Feeling annoyed with myself. My BMI is 31 and I want to get this down. Any advice?
    exercise.png
  • JuliannaEP
    JuliannaEP Posts: 53 Member
    Options

exercise.png

• DaveThomas1901
    DaveThomas1901 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    1/11 6.45
    3/11 6.28
    6/11 3.45
    8/11 3.02
    9/11 6.32
    12/11 5.04

total 30.56
    target 50 miles

Hi Amanda, had quite a few problems last few years and I have to make sure I work hard without overdoing it.
    Try bringing a bit of walking and slower running into it. That will all help with keeping the metabolism moving and fat burning.
  • tegantheaverage
    tegantheaverage Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    4/11 -- 5k (treadmill)
    5/11 -- 3k (road)
    6/11 -- 5k (treadmill)
    7/11 -- rest day (yoga!)
    8/11 -- 1k (road -- stopped because of pulled muscle :()
    11/11 -- 3k (road and park)
    13/11 -- 6k (treadmill)

exercise.png
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options

There sure are a lot of onion cutting ninjas in this library. Goodness. How rude.
  • runner_girl83
    runner_girl83 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Cannot believe I had a huge message wishing everyone well with where they are at, ready to post.. and BAM! I knocked something on the keyboard and everything disappeared! :tired_face:

• SAfricaChick
    SAfricaChick Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    1/11 - Planned rest after HM
    2/11 - Travel day
    3/11 - Overslept
    4/11 - 4.7 miles
    5/11 - Migraine, no running
    6/11 - 6.3 miles
    7/11 - 3.3 miles
    8/11 - 15.06 miles
    9/11 - 3.23 miles
    10/11 - 5.49 miles
    11/11 - 5.82 miles
    12/11- 4.24 miles
    Total: 48.09 miles

Target 125 miles
  • patrikc333
    patrikc333 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    speechless: coming home from work, driving through the fields, a guy was running on the road with a black sport suit with no light at all!!! how can you be so stupid?
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    @Stoshew71 those videos were beautiful! Thank you.
  • runner_girl83
    Options
    @Virkati I don't know if this will be helpful or not (sorry if not!) I used to use C25K but found it didn't really do anything for me aside from agonizing my shin splints more from all the stopping and starting!

What I found worked was, I downloaded a gps app (mapmyrun, endomondo, runkeeper, to name a few) and turned off all distance settings and only put a time prompt on. I set the time prompt to 5 minutes so every 5 mins, a voice would let me know I've run another 5 minutes without stopping.

I struggled to run for 5 minutes and had no idea why.. I thought I was fit enough and didn't get it. I kept at this for a few months - and didn't get anywhere!

Thanks to a few on here who suggested slowing riiight down, I found I could easily run for much longer than 5 minutes!

In one month, I've gone from running (ankle injury aside lol) 20 minutes non-stop and being physically exhausted, out of breath and completely red-faced to running 90 minutes on my longest runs and feeling like I could go for longer!

So I went from running 3k to running 10k and more in one month, just by slowing down. I would say I probably jog, though it's the same as a slow run, right?! :wink: .. and sometimes I do little bursts of faster running if I feel energized and then cut back down to my slow pace again..

But I'm glad I slowed down.. I don't even care that I can run 10k... I'm just happy I can run for long times and feel great afterwards and not like I-want-to-pass-out lol
  • kennodogs
    kennodogs Posts: 29 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    exercise.png

Just measuring running miles.
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    11/1 3.1 @ 11:15 outside in the neighborhood in the rain
    11/2 rest
    11/3 5.0 @ 10:59 on the treadmill (plus a 1 mile walk and strength training)
    11/4 8.2 @ really really slow (16:04) riking (run-hiking, steep, covered with inches of leaves and treacherous fun)
    11/5 4.0 @ 12:30 recovery run plus .5 walk on the park trail
    11/6 3.25 @ 10:53 on the treadmill (really 3.0 at 10:28, plus .25 at a walk) plus strength training.
    11/7 Rest/Life Day

11/8 Rest/Life Day
    11/9 5.5 @ 12:30 on the park trail with the doggy--who really enjoyed rolling around in the leaves!
    11/10 2.5 @ 11:38 (really 2.25 at 11:07 and a .25 walk) around the neighborhood in the rain.
    11/11 6 @ 11:32 on the treadmill (really 5 at 11:00 and 1 at a fast walk/jog) plus strength training
    11/12 7 @ 11:45 (this is really like 5 at 10:50 and the rest a little slower), plus 1 at a walk on the treadmill. I am in some pain...yesterday was squats and lunges and this may have been a little aggressive of a run for right after. :( On the other hand, I did get to watch the entirety of "Bring It On". Where are my pompoms?!
    11/13
    11/14

exercise.png
  • runner_girl83
    Options
    11/12 7 @ 11:45 (this is really like 5 at 10:50 and the rest a little slower), plus 1 at a walk on the treadmill. I am in some pain...yesterday was squats and lunges and this may have been a little aggressive of a run for right after. :( On the other hand, I did get to watch the entirety of "Bring It On". Where are my pompoms?!

I did this a few weeks ago :lol: It hurts a 'little' doesn't it! I won't be doing strength training and a run the next day ever again lol
  • Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    patrikc333 wrote: »
    speechless: coming home from work, driving through the fields, a guy was running on the road with a black sport suit with no light at all!!! how can you be so stupid?

@patrikc333
    There are a LOT of them around me. I'm as lit up, bright, reflective as I can possibly be and I'm staying on the sidewalk!!