Favorite Protein Bar?

Options

Replies

• yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    synacious wrote: »
    DO NOT TRY QUEST BARS, they had a formula change are now disgusting. It was very recently they did this, so every good thing you've heard is about the old recipe. The new ones are horrid.

They didn't do it too recently; the formulas have been changed for at least six months now. I eat the corn fiber ones all the time and they taste just fine to me. Everyone is different but OP should decide for themselves. Personally I feel that whenever a company changes their ingredient list people will complain no matter what, but that's just me.

I like the new ones. Some are a little different texturally, but still good.
  • MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Pro bars are outstanding!

ETA: just looked, only 8g protein. Never mind lol. They're still pretty tasty and a convenient grab and go.
  • sunandmoons
    sunandmoons Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I like sqaure bars. They are compact and tasty.
    Main ingredients, organic coconut nectar...and pack 12 grams of protien, organic whole grain sprouted brown rice. Yum!
  • youdontknowwhatyousaw
    Options
    I like Pure Protein, Luna Protein and Supreme Protein. Some of the Quest bars I love and some I absolutely hate.
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    How has nobody mentioned Combat Crunch bars yet? Those are the new kids on the block imo
  • FabianRodriguez94
    FabianRodriguez94 Posts: 221 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    annette_15 wrote: »
    How has nobody mentioned Combat Crunch bars yet? Those are the new kids on the block imo

I agree, Combat Crunch is probably my favorite bar. They keep coming out with new great tasting flavors.

Also, Think Thin are pretty good tasting. 22g carbs, 20g protein
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    annette_15 wrote: »

Ditto.

I broke up with Quest. Combat Crunch is my new favorite. Decent on the calorie to protein ratio and delicious. The birthday cake one is so cool. If you put it in the microwave for literally only 6-7 seconds it's amazing, the inside is kind of doughy/cakey
  • brb2008
    brb2008 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    DO NOT TRY QUEST BARS, they had a formula change are now disgusting. It was very recently they did this, so every good thing you've heard is about the old recipe. The new ones are horrid.

Well, this is simply an opinion of yours. Certainly worth sharing, but I happen to really like the quest bars, and only just started eating them two weeks ago so they might be this new formula and I enjoy them. They fit my goals calorie and carb wise, and I like the choc peanut butter, double choc chunk, and white choc raspberry the best so far! I had the cinnamon roll flavor but didnt enjoy it as much as the others. I have yet to try the lemon cheescake I think it was, that looks like it could handle my toughest cravings for sweets!

They wont be for everyone but they're my personal favorite and recommend them to my own friends :)
  • Jelaan
    Jelaan Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I make homemade quest bars from recipes I found on Pinterest. The secret ingredient is vitafiber (found on Amazon). Once your pantry is properly stocked, comes to about 88 cents per bar. YouTube has homemade quest bar videos.
    If your more concerned with convenience then Cliff bars are my second choice. You can get a 24 pack for under $20 at Sam's or Costco.

I have also been making my own using Vita Fiber. Check Diet Kitchen for recipes too. The best part is that once you figure out the best ratios of Vita Fiber to your whey so they are not crumbly or sticky (I use plain whey protein sold here at Bulk Barn as has very few additives), you can make them any flavour you like for much less than the cost of a Quest bar (around $3.45 here). Today I made caramel brownie (26g protein, 235 cal), cookies n cream (10g protein, 283 cal), Banana Nut Muffin (30g protein, 287 cal). It takes me about 3 mins to make each bar.
  • buffalobill41
    buffalobill41 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I buy premier protein because they're the cheapest ones Walmart has. 30g protein for only like $1.25. They stock 3 flavors and they all seem solid to me, but I haven't eaten much candy in years so i probably have low standards for sweets.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    brb2008 wrote: »

Well, this is simply an opinion of yours. Certainly worth sharing, but I happen to really like the quest bars, and only just started eating them two weeks ago so they might be this new formula and I enjoy them. They fit my goals calorie and carb wise, and I like the choc peanut butter, double choc chunk, and white choc raspberry the best so far! I had the cinnamon roll flavor but didnt enjoy it as much as the others. I have yet to try the lemon cheescake I think it was, that looks like it could handle my toughest cravings for sweets!

They wont be for everyone but they're my personal favorite and recommend them to my own friends :)

The way to know if they are the new bars is if you see soluble corn fiber on the ingredient list instead of isomalto-oligosaccharides. Some of the flavors still have them. I was able to find the cookies and cream flavor with the old formula and it didn't taste much different than the new one except a bit sweeter. My favorite flavors are Mint Chocolate Chunk and Pumpkin Pie. S'mores and Cookies & Cream are okay. I'm not a fan of the fruity ones, but all the chocolate ones are good to me. I'll have to try Combat Crunch but I've yet to see it in stores.
  • Maxematics
    Options
    So based on posts in this thread, today I made it my mission to locate Combat Crunch and B-Up bars. I'm eating the Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Combat Crunch bar right now and holy crap, it's good! The chocolate coating really makes it nice and smooth. They were slightly pricier than Quest bars, but from now on I can save when I buy in bulk. I also got Robert Irvine's bars, but the Fit Elite, not the Fit Crunch.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options

It just sucks because they USED to be amazing and incredible and the best tasting protein bar around. If you never tried them before the formula change you won't understand. No one I knew who used to religiously eat the old bars still likes them after the change. I guess it's the type of thing where if you never had the chance to taste the amazing flavor they once were you don't know what your missing.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

It just sucks because they USED to be amazing and incredible and the best tasting protein bar around. If you never tried them before the formula change you won't understand. No one I knew who used to religiously eat the old bars still likes them after the change. I guess it's the type of thing where if you never had the chance to taste the amazing flavor they once were you don't know what your missing.

Cosigned.

My Vita Fiber got here today. I've got ideas to experiment on my own concoctions.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    After hearing what seemed like millions of people on here go on and on and ON about how great quest bars are, I tried them and was pretty disappointed.
    Gritty and so-so tasting. Could be from this "new formula" everyone's talking about - who knows?
    I also tried the quest protein chips and they were absolutely disgusting, had to throw them out.
  • alizesmom
    alizesmom Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    This is probably an impossible dream but are there any low calorie, high protein choices?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    alizesmom wrote: »
    This is probably an impossible dream but are there any low calorie, high protein choices?

I find Quest to be the best calories to protein ratio wise
  • ajhatkin
    ajhatkin Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I like WonderSlim protein bars. I especially like Crispy Cinnamon - 160 calories and 15 grams of protein. Also, Cocoa Mint are great, but taste too much like a dessert to me. I buy them on Dietdirect.com.
  • Pollywog_la
    Pollywog_la Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I am wanting to try some type of Protein Bar in the afternoon before I exercise and dinner to hold me over and don't eat as much for dinner.

I plan on visiting GNC so I did some research and found the Quest Bars. I notice they are a little expensive, so I am hesitant on buying a lot of them.

Anyone else have a favorite bar that they use between exercise and dinner?

I love the Quest bars like other commenters.
    If you heat them up for a few seconds in the microwave, even better.
    It depends on your diet goals too. There are a lot of tasty protein bars on the market, but Quest has low net carbs compared to others. If you are not restricting your carbs, then you have more options.

I haven't tried all the Quest Flavors. You can buy boxes with a variety of flavors directly from them online, if you are willing to invest and taste them. Sometimes they have sales as well.
  • Maxematics
    Options
    I'm back to say I just tried the Robert Irvine Fit Elite Cookies N Cream bar. I have to say it was a miss for me. The ingredient list is pretty similar to the old Quest bar formula. The bar was very soft and was almost sickeningly sweet. The "cream" part was this gooey icing like stuff on the top and it tasted like some sort of artificially gummy marshmallow type of flavor. The consistency is like taffy. I put the other half of the bar in the microwave for a bit and it made it taste somewhat better. I wouldn't buy it again though. I'll have to try the Fit Crunch bars he makes because I keep reading that they're the favorite among consumers. I can't wait to try a B-Up bar tomorrow, but so far I'm happy with the Combat Crunch recommendation, so thanks to all who mentioned those.