MarcyKirkton Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Smells sink me too!
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    Orphia wrote: »
    If you weigh 64 lbs above the middle of the healthy BMI range for your height, your BMR is over 1500 calories a day if you do no exercise at all.

http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

You are most likely undereating quite badly.

I'm 64 lbs over just barely being in the healthy BMI range. 150 would put me at a BMI of 23.49 so the Very top of the healthy BMI range. I'm considered obese right now at 33.51 BMI

MFP calculated my calories at sedentary+my weight age height etc and set it at 1200 and I still struggle to hit 2lbs if my lucky for a loss a week. Like it took me 2 weeks to lose the last 2 pounds and so forth. 1200 calories normally doesn't fill low to me. Only on days where I chose to eat high calorie foods instead of low calorie foods that I can eat bigger portions of.

There must be some mistake, unless you're like 80 years old or something. Are you sure you didn't enter the 1200 limit manually?

Try resetting your goals. Change your weekly goal to 1.5 lbs or less.

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal

I'm 5'8" and started around 212. When I started, I did what nearly everyone does who's here to lose and entered a 2 pound loss goal. I was in grad school, so I entered sedentary. MFP gave me 1200. Knowing what I know now, I think I really was sedentary. I ran, so I ate those cals back.

1200 was pretty miserable, even with some exercise cals. Then I learned better.

OP, if you're not losing 2 pounds a week on average anyway, you may want to consider changing your goal to 1 or 1.5 lb/wk. If you have younger children, you're also probably at least lightly active. Sustainability really is key. I could have never kept going at 1200.

I now eat anywhere from 1500-1800 calories a day 6 days a week, and 3000 on Saturdays. I make sure to get 10,000 steps a day at least 5 days a week. I also lift 2-3 days a week (but usually just 2 due to time contraints) and have a Brazilian jiu jitsu class 2 days a week. I have a fitbit. You don't need a gadget, and I resisted for quite some time. However, it is far, far more amazing that I ever thought it would be. It gives me more data and more security regarding what I'm doing and how much I can eat. For me, it really helps to see the numbers between MFP, fitbit, and trendweight.

Some people - many people - are successful without such things. I've come to trust the numbers, so I feel quite confident eating what fitbit and MFP tell me I can. I'm averaging about .75 lb/wk. I would love if there was a short cut to my goal. It's sloooow going. And I will not look like Rabbit at the same weight (I'm about 173 right now), despite my lifting. But I have committed to sustainability, fueling my performance, and trying to make my body look as good as I can after being overweight for so long - that all means slow loss and attempting to maintain as much muscle mass as I can. All of that to say - even with 60+ pounds to lose - slowing it down at this point is not a bad idea. Then, you can eat those tacos!
  • blkandwhite77
    blkandwhite77 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Honestly I'm not even close to miserable at 1200 calories. Sure every once in a blue moon (like late night taco smelling) I will get hungry but normally nope and I eat food I like. I even get in my favorite maple bars or chocolate when I want them. I don't know why someone would be so miserable at 1200 on normal days? It's plenty for example for brunch I have
    168 g of hash browns
    30g of cheese on the hash browns
    5 slices of butterball turkey bacon
    All for under 350 calories

Snack is normally low fat cottage cheese and 7 slices of pepperoni
    150 calories

Dinner is a good size portion of whatever I make with the largest portion of dinner being veggies (I'm not a huge meat eater so those are normally small portions)
    Normally around 4-500 calorie dinners

Then I have an evening snack sometimes a boiled egg, chips, cookie or something and I also have a couple small pieces of chocolate throughout the day (yes chocolate is a daily requirement)
    100-200 calorie snack

So yep more than enough food
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    If you have 64 pounds to lose, you certainly can choose to aim for the 2 lb per week loss rate, but let me tell you a cautionary tale...

I am 5'7 (I'm shrinking :s ). If memory serves, @rabbitjb is 5'8. I lost at a rate of 1.5 pounds per week. Rabbit lost at .5-1 lbs per week. In the end, Rabbit weighs around 20 pounds more than me, I believe, and is around 2 sizes smaller than me, and gets I think around 300 calories more than I do, in maintenance. Why? Because she maintained more muscle mass, and did more strength training while losing.

Thanks for sharing this excellent story on the importance of retaining muscle mass while losing weight.
  • morsedonna2
    morsedonna2 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    betuel75 wrote: »
    have a couple of them. If you go over a few hundred calories you can fix that in the next few days. I went over a few hundred calories a couple days ago and didnt even notice a difference.

Says the perfectly sculpted male specimen. For me a couple hundred calories will instantly show on my hips lol. Plus I was bad last week and went over 2 days and lost zero zero zero and darn it I will lose this week!

• morsedonna2
    morsedonna2 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Lol so true
  • starwhisperer6
    starwhisperer6 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I don't think that anyone got that you were not yelling about being hungry. Craving a bite of something and being hungry are not the same thing. Well done ignoring the call of the tacos :)
  • blkandwhite77
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I don't think that anyone got that you were not yelling about being hungry. Craving a bite of something and being hungry are not the same thing. Well done ignoring the call of the tacos :)

I thought the sarcasm and over dramatization was loud and clear in my initial post lol I see now that I must have been wrong. :) if I was seriously hungry I'd eat. Period. I don't have that good of self control to not eat when I'm actually hungry. I wouldn't even torture myself by making myself be hungry.

• starwhisperer6
    starwhisperer6 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    You would think, but everyone wants to "fix" something and jumps to it before noticing nothing needs to be fixed.
  • blkandwhite77
    Options
    As I put on my personal status I'm not losing weight to get scrawny. I'm losing to be healthier for my kids and so I can run around and enjoy them. Personally I think I rock my sexy curves so that's why I'm shooting for the high end of "normal" BMI. I don't want to lose all my curves as figure. I just want to be healthy. So I'm not going to go crazy and starve myself. Nope no way
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    You would think, but everyone wants to "fix" something and jumps to it before noticing nothing needs to be fixed.

I'm assuming you've noticed this is a help board right?

• blkandwhite77
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Not trying to be snotty but don't you have a post on this board about dog memes and cat memes :) so obviously not everyone is posting help requests on this board including yourself. However, I can see how my post, which was seemingly obvious to me as silly, could be perceived differently via an online board where emotions can not be as easily read.

I don't think the poster was meaning to be snotty either when she stated that. I have seen a lot of extreme opinions being posted in regards to if someone gets Almost offended by someone's calorie intake numbers (not talking about those extremes of like 500 calories a day posters). 1200 if so unsafe wouldn't be the number that I've been recommended by both my doctor, MFP ad a bunch of other calorie/deficit sites. So while you feel and others may think it's low it doesn't mean it is nor does it mean it's a difficult limit for all people. I'm eating the same amount of food I always have. I'm just making better food choices. Quality not quantity calories :)

Thank you though for a your kind words and you've inspired me to get more serious about weight training. On that note since I have a hard time figuring out machines and proper form for weights do you think t25 the strength training section dvd is a good beginner strength straining option if I don't have access to weights at home?
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options

Clearly the "cruelty" title was meant to be a joke, but in her initial post, OP did make it seem as though the tacos didn't just smell great and were so tempting, but that she was actually hungry and wanted one. In response to her "rumbling" stomach, and not just sensory temptation, several people tried to point out that she could actually have one if she wanted - both by having a less aggressive goal and/or by simply eating one and having less of a deficit that one day.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    have a couple of them. If you go over a few hundred calories you can fix that in the next few days. I went over a few hundred calories a couple days ago and didnt even notice a difference.

Says the perfectly sculpted male specimen. For me a couple hundred calories will instantly show on my hips lol. Plus I was bad last week and went over 2 days and lost zero zero zero and darn it I will lose this week!

Weight never instantly shows up, but comes from a habit of overeating.

I'm sure betuel had his own weight issues because otherwise he wouldn't be here. I like his reply, I think it's sensible.

There is nothing wrong with going over your calories for one day. I would for a good taco!
  • blkandwhite77
    Options
    veganbaum wrote: »

Clearly the "cruelty" title was meant to be a joke, but in her initial post, OP did make it seem as though the tacos didn't just smell great and were so tempting, but that she was actually hungry and wanted one. In response to her "rumbling" stomach, and not just sensory temptation, several people tried to point out that she could actually have one if she wanted - both by having a less aggressive goal and/or by simply eating one and having less of a deficit that one day.

Wanting to eat my phone... Thought that dripped of obvious sarcasm :D lol like I said dramatic and silly but since no one here knows me personally they wouldn't know that if I was actually starving I'd have ate the darn taco (or 2 or 3) lol
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options

Thank you though for a your kind words and you've inspired me to get more serious about weight training. On that note since I have a hard time figuring out machines and proper form for weights do you think t25 the strength training section dvd is a good beginner strength straining option if I don't have access to weights at home?

Are you currently a member of a gym? Normally, upon joining, you will get a free session with a trainer who will help you with the machines and proper form. If you are already a member but never utilized this, still ask for it. If all else fails, pay for a session or two.

You mentioned your hubby helping you with this, but unless he's had training, I think you'd be better off getting advice from someone who has been trained on how to show others.

• blkandwhite77
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

Weight never instantly shows up, but comes from a habit of overeating.

I'm sure betuel had his own weight issues because otherwise he wouldn't be here. I like his reply, I think it's sensible.

There is nothing wrong with going over your calories for one day. I would for a good taco!

What it doesn't instantly show!!??? But why do I have taco shaped love handles as I type... Maybe I should get that checked.....
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

Not trying to be snotty but don't you have a post on this board about dog memes and cat memes :) so obviously not everyone is posting help requests on this board including yourself. However, I can see how my post, which was seemingly obvious to me as silly, could be perceived differently via an online board where emotions can not be as easily read.

I don't think the poster was meaning to be snotty either when she stated that. I have seen a lot of extreme opinions being posted in regards to if someone gets Almost offended by someone's calorie intake numbers (not talking about those extremes of like 500 calories a day posters). 1200 if so unsafe wouldn't be the number that I've been recommended by both my doctor, MFP ad a bunch of other calorie/deficit sites. So while you feel and others may think it's low it doesn't mean it is nor does it mean it's a difficult limit for all people. I'm eating the same amount of food I always have. I'm just making better food choices. Quality not quantity calories :)

The puppy and cat gif threads are generally contained to the Chit Chat Fun & Games section so they don't gum up the advice sections.
  • blkandwhite77
    edited November 2015
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Are you currently a member of a gym? Normally, upon joining, you will get a free session with a trainer who will help you with the machines and proper form. If you are already a member but never utilized this, still ask for it. If all else fails, pay for a session or two.

You mentioned your hubby helping you with this, but unless he's had training, I think you'd be better off getting advice from someone who has been trained on how to show others.

Well not formal training but hes a former football player/former marine so he has much greater knowledge than I :) and yes your right our gym does offer a trainer session for free. However in real life I'm super timid and shy and honestly the idea of going to the gym in the middle of the day and having someone analyze me..... Shivers!! We normally go to gym at midnight when it's almost empty due to my Hubbys work schedule and it's practically empty (love 24 hour gyms!)