I hate this!

Options
tish818
tish818 Posts: 13 Member
I am 23 years old 5ft 8. I dont weigh myself but I am a little above where I am comfortable with. And yes, I do have weight to lose. I run most days and I try to eat healthily. I have a little trouble with overeating sometimes. But, my weight just doesn't budge regardless of what I do. I guess I am just frustrated and would like some reassurance and tips to help me as I start to really find myself and do right by my body. It is just a constant battle as so many of you would understand. I'm just starting to feel exhausted! How to beat the battle and start losing weight?

Replies

• tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    What have you done so far to lose weight?

Are you eating at a deficit? Calorie counting? Counting everything that passes your lips? Measuring and weighing everything before it passes your lips?
  • tish818
    Options
    I am, and try to be very active and use my good will and judgement to be healthy and eat healthily without being too rigid. However. I am back on here to give it a good shot and do exactly what you mentioned. To calorie count everything and make sure I'm being really honest. I guess I just find the hardest thing is to do the right thing without feeling that I'm depriving myself.

• jlevans300
    jlevans300 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi Tish,

This wellness journey is about moderation and not deprivation. You should eat what you want just be mindful of your portions. MFP is an awesome tool that will provide you guidance. Good luck on your journey. Sincerely-Jeff
  • SoleilxStitch
    SoleilxStitch Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    You may have just hit a wall/plateau and could possibly just change things up abit? Diet wise and exercise wise?
  • tish818
    Options
    I think I've gained actually. I'm just so disheartened with all the good work that I do for it to just turn bad so quickly it seems. I definitely need to change things up. So frustrated!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Just stop overeating and you should be able to reach your goal.
  • tish818
    Options
    Well yes of course, I think if all of us could just stop their eating concerns then we would all reach our goal. Sometimes its just not as simple as just "stopping" believe me, if I could, then I would. I'm working on it.
  • kommodevaran
    Options
    tish818 wrote: »
    Well yes of course, I think if all of us could just stop their eating concerns then we would all reach our goal. Sometimes its just not as simple as just "stopping" believe me, if I could, then I would. I'm working on it.

Then ask for help on how to stop overeating. I didn't mean to be rude or anything. It's just that having a clear plan is usually helpful, and when you know exactly what your problem area is, it's so much easier to create a good plan. You don't have to stop eating, just the overeating.
  • tish818
    Options
    I think thats what I was implying in my overall statement to begin with. Just after some tips with beating that battle. As I said, its only sometimes, not a huge problem. Yes, i realise that I have to stop to achieve my goal, and I will. Just trying to work out my plan and gain a bit of confidence to do so was all I would have hoped for.
  • kommodevaran
    Options
    I think thats what I was implying in my overall statement to begin with. Just after some tips with beating that battle. As I said, its only sometimes, not a huge problem. Yes, i realise that I have to stop to achieve my goal, and I will. Just trying to work out my plan and gain a bit of confidence to do so was all I would have hoped for.

OK! My tips for that would be to set a realistic calorie goal (don't ever go under TDEE-500), plan your meals at least the day before, weigh and log accurately. Make sure you eat a varied and balanced diet (fruit, vegetables, enough protein and fat). Pick food you like, don't force yourself to eat "healthy" food you don't like. If you eat socially, do not try to stop that completely, but try to moderate - maybe if you're out having beer twice a week, do it just once a week, when you eat at a restaurant, choose between a starter and dessert, not both. If you can, cook yourself, prepare food in advance, and bring along lunch.

Get enough sleep - 8 hours, every night. Drink enough water - 8 glasses, every day. If you are rested and hydrated, it will be easier to stick to the rest of your plan. And as you say, feeling able to stick to your plan will give you confidence, and even better chances to keep sticking with it.
  • HealthyGinny
    HealthyGinny Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Get enough sleep - 8 hours, every night. Drink enough water - 8 glasses, every day. If you are rested and hydrated, it will be easier to stick to the rest of your plan.

I am going to have to agree with that. I found that if I don't sleep enough or drink enough water, I don't lose as easily. Also you say you exercise often but do you have rest days? those are also important.

about the overeating: I do overeat sometimes and I do binge some days... but it doesn't prevent me from losing as it is not most days, so I wouldn't focus too much on it... You're human after all :)

Maybe you could try calorie cycling? Meaning one day you eat 1200 cals, the next 1450, after that1300, etc. I found that it helped me when I tend to overeat - if I eat a lot one day, I try to eat less the day after...

And do try to be very consistent with the cal counting - count everything you eat and drink :)

good luck x
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    How much do you weigh?

How much do you want to lose. What is your body aesthetic ideal?
    I think I've gained actually. I'm just so disheartened with all the good work that I do for it to just turn bad so quickly it seems. I definitely need to change things up. So frustrated!

What do you mean good work that you do? If it's not the right focus it's useless

You exercise, great for cardio health ...you say you run daily? How far, how long, what intensity?
    Do you do any progressive resistance work?

How much do you eat? Eat healthy means nothing ...if you're gaining weight then something is amiss

You need to focus on your food intake...best way is weighing and accurately logging the calories in your food to a calorie defecit across the week

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    How much do you weigh?

How much do you want to lose. What is your body aesthetic ideal?

What do you mean good work that you do? If it's not the right focus it's useless

You exercise, great for cardio health ...you say you run daily? How far, how long, what intensity?
    Do you do any progressive resistance work?

How much do you eat? Eat healthy means nothing ...if you're gaining weight then something is amiss

You need to focus on your food intake...best way is weighing and accurately logging the calories in your food to a calorie defecit across the week

As usual Rabbit voiced all of the questions I had already!

OP your post was vague. If you don't know how much you weigh, then it is difficult to set goals, both for how much weight you want to lose and how much of a calorie target you should be aiming for.

If you need specific advice about adherence, you need to be more specific with your questions.

You mentioned a battle, have you struggled with disordered eating in the past?
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    Do you lift?
    It is the missing piece for many people. Cardio is good but combined with some muscle building you will see results.
    Honesty is important, and I would tell you that if you want to succeed you might want to get more serious about logging properly. 'Kind of' , 'trying', 'most the time' in regards to eating well, is not the same as actually eating for a purpose.
    You can do this.
  • tish818
    Options
    Ok, so I don't weigh myself because I go for more how I feel and how my clothes fit regardless of the number. I find that watching numbers wasn't good for me. I run about 10k on average and have a gym where I live and use regularly. I eat probably 2000cal per day on average. As I exercise so much I would have assumed that weight loss would be quite obvious. But, clearly that isnt the case, which is why I am here to be really honest and try and do the best I can.
    I lift weights a little bit and lift weights where I work also, but not rigourously or have a weights routine. I like cardio better, but I do try and balance things out.
    I guess my "most of the times" are better than not at all and I will become more strict on myself in time. I'm working on it now and I think thats better than nothing. At least I'm trying.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I don't weigh myself because I go for more how I feel and how my clothes fit regardless of the number. I find that watching numbers wasn't good for me.
    I am not a huge fan of the scale either. Clothing tells me a lot too!

I run about 10k on average and have a gym where I live and use regularly. I eat probably 2000cal per day on average. As I exercise so much I would have assumed that weight loss would be quite obvious. But, clearly that isnt the case, which is why I am here to be really honest and try and do the best I can.

That is a lot of calories. I eat about that much in maintenance, and am pretty thick! Don't overestimate calorie burns.

I lift weights a little bit and lift weights where I work also, but not rigourously or have a weights routine. I like cardio better, but I do try and balance things out.

get one

I guess my "most of the times" are better than not at all and I will become more strict on myself in time. I'm working on it now and I think thats better than nothing. At least I'm trying.

agreed....but looking at your picture, I don't see someone who needs to lose weight. When you only have a small amount to lose, it can be very tough. Those little things can make a difference.

The standard answer is to check the common, obvious problems first. For most people, they are eating more than they think, or overestimate their caloric expenditures. For others, they just aren't eating at deficit..for you 2000cals might not be deficit (as mentioned that seems a bit high).

Finally I would stand by my initial comment...lift weights. Progressive weight training is so good for the body!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    If you don't know how much you weigh how did you set your calorie goal?
  • neohdiver
    neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    As I exercise so much I would have assumed that weight loss would be quite obvious. But, clearly that isnt the case, which is why I am here to be really honest and try and do the best I can.

Exercise does not burn nearly as many calories as most people assume. In general, it has more impact on weight loss via appetite suppression than via permitting a higher calorie consumption.

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Also wanted to add, that I'm also 5"8 but a lot older than you, and I lose roughly .5lbs a week on 1650 calories a day. I'm 150lbs
  • tish818
    Options
    I put my weight as an estimation. I know its vague but I do not like to get fixated on numbers. 2000 calories is what I have been eating but obviously I'm slowly going to cut down. Regardless of the implications of running for weight, i really enjoy it for the sheer knowledge that its good for me and my mind. I know I probably underestimate my calories sometimes, but I try not to stress about things and eat as normally as I can. I try and not get fixated on numbers. Sometimes its not the best thing. As for my profile picture, its an old photo and I have put on weight since then. I know I have errors and flaws,and i thank you for all your tips. I rea,ly really appreciate it. I will need to make changes, i know that 100%.