I hate this!

Options
2»

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    You should weigh yourself. How do you set a calorie goal if you don't know how much you weigh? Also, losing a pound is a big deal, but you might not feel it or see it. The scale can be a helpful tool. Just get on it once a week, the time, under the same conditions.

And buy a food scale.
  • crissy976
    crissy976 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Hi Tish! I've been able to lose weight in the past by watching my intake of food and exercising on a regular basis. I'm finding it harder as I get older, though... (I'm 39). But this time, I'm not limiting myself to WHAT I eat, it's how MUCH I eat of the things that I don't want to be deprived from. I find that I actually eat less and crave them less if I allow myself to have just a bit. Plus, I do a little extra exercise if I DO eat something that isn't really on my "good" list of foods. It's somewhere to start for me. As a mom of three, it's hard to watch everything that I eat as the kids are indulging in cupcakes or cookies that I bake for them. lol
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    tish818 wrote: »
    I put my weight as an estimation. I know its vague but I do not like to get fixated on numbers. 2000 calories is what I have been eating but obviously I'm slowly going to cut down. Regardless of the implications of running for weight, i really enjoy it for the sheer knowledge that its good for me and my mind. I know I probably underestimate my calories sometimes, but I try not to stress about things and eat as normally as I can. I try and not get fixated on numbers. Sometimes its not the best thing. As for my profile picture, its an old photo and I have put on weight since then. I know I have errors and flaws,and i thank you for all your tips. I rea,ly really appreciate it. I will need to make changes, i know that 100%.

No problem at all. WE all have flaws, and no judgement here. You did ask for help, and you seem totally sincere in hearing it, and taking it for what it is worth. Ultimately it is up to you to decrease your calories and you will succeed.

You have to remember that this is a calorie counting site, and if you are not going to do it accurately there really is not a point to doing it at all. There is a lot of vagueness, and uncertainty in your comments where there should be a clear goal, and a plan.

So go get it. Take some of that energy and motivation for running and put it toward your eating habits (and do throw in some weight training!!!!). Running is awesome and most people avoid it because it is tough. Obviously you have a passion and talent for it so embrace it. Awesome.

I will admit that I havent really logged for about 6 months. I fell into some good habits, and was finding I was within a few hundred calories everyday. That might be where you get to eventually. I also hate being fixated on everything from the scale, to every little calorie. Not a fun way to live but you might have to be for a few months as you learn the ropes and discover how your body reacts.

take care and have an awesome week.
  • tish818
    tish818 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Some people are just not getting at the fact that i 100% will not know much I weigh. I don't want to know. I refuse. Its too damaging for me. If you wanna weigh yourself then go for it, I go by measurements and that's just how I do things. My doctor weighs me and monitors that but I don't want to know and make that clear. I do thank every single one of you for your input, and am totally sincere. I am setting a plan as we speak and am getting back to the swing of things. I guess my ultimate goal is to be happy as well as have a nice body. Finding balance has always been my hardest obstacle to overcome. Thanks for everyones help and I will definitely be on the right track to losing weight in the very near future. And remember, everyone is different so be kind to one another.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    Some people are just not getting at the fact that i 100% will not know much I weigh. I don't want to know. I refuse. Its too damaging for me. If you wanna weigh yourself then go for it, I go by measurements and that's just how I do things. My doctor weighs me and monitors that but I don't want to know and make that clear. I do thank every single one of you for your input, and am totally sincere. I am setting a plan as we speak and am getting back to the swing of things. I guess my ultimate goal is to be happy as well as have a nice body. Finding balance has always been my hardest obstacle to overcome. Thanks for everyones help and I will definitely be on the right track to losing weight in the very near future. And remember, everyone is different so be kind to one another.

I think what people are getting at is that by not monitoring weight, you're losing very powerful tools in weight control - you don't know your real TDEE or your real calorie deficit without both accurate food logs and accurate weight measurements. If you are capable of coming to grips with the scale on a psychological level, you'll have a lot more powerful of tools to deal with weight loss and the much longer weight maintenance.

The idea of calorie counting is to create a feedback loop because you don't trust your body's feedback loops (hunger and satiety). You eat at a measured calorie level, you observe the weight changes, and you use this to update your calorie goals. Without the feedback loop, I am not sure the method will work well for you. Measurements are not a great substitute for weight, because it takes a fairly significant amount of weight change to see a measurement change, it's less precise, and you can't accurately estimate the degree of deficit from the amount of measurement change.

If you really can't handle the scale, then you can't, but it's going to make things harder, and you're going to have to be patient to see results. Other diet methodologies might be better than calorie counting for your particular case.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

OP as I asked earlier, are you currently or have you been in treatment for an eating disorder? If so, your doctor is best equipped to help you with strategies for how much you should be eating and dealing with some of these fears related to the scale.
  • tish818
    tish818 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    No, its not that haha I just get disheartened personally seeing no change in numbers etc so my doctor takes care of that and I just judge by my clothes as I have said before. Sometimes feeling good in yourself is much better than wanting to be x kilos etc. People, please be less judgemental and try and look at things a little differently. Everyone's different as I have mentioned. But I do appreciate your input. I am hereto keep a record of how I eat to be really honest and then make some changes. And good luck to everyone else on their own paths. Do your best and be kind to yourself.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    It's not judgement, it's about choosing the right method for the individual. Noone is being unkind. rankinsect said it so well. MFP is based on calorie counting, which is number crunching, and you are not into numbers, as a matter of fact, you are against numbers. Of course you can lose weight by logging dilligently, but you will have to be accurate, or else there is absolutely NO point, in fact it will just be, well, stupid. And it will take longer time to find the right amount of calories for you, if you don't weigh yourself.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    So you're into the calorie numbers - OK

knock off 250-500 calories from what you're currently eating for the next 6 weeks then average out how much you've lost - should be around 6 lbs
  • amyr271
    amyr271 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    No, its not that haha I just get disheartened personally seeing no change in numbers etc so my doctor takes care of that and I just judge by my clothes as I have said before. Sometimes feeling good in yourself is much better than wanting to be x kilos etc. People, please be less judgemental and try and look at things a little differently. Everyone's different as I have mentioned. But I do appreciate your input. I am hereto keep a record of how I eat to be really honest and then make some changes. And good luck to everyone else on their own paths. Do your best and be kind to yourself.

Also, if you aren't weighing yourself you are going to have to wait longer to see the results. I have lost 7 pounds, yet the majority of my clothes still fit the same and my measurements have remained fairly stable.

If you do not want to weigh yourself that is fine, no one is judging you for it, you may just have to have a little more patience in seeing the results.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

I don't think anyone has been judgmental and if you thought I was then I apologize. I understand that not seeing progress can be very discouraging but if you set up this tool the way it is meant to be used, have reasonable expectations and implement the plan then you should see the results in not only the scale but also your clothes. Part of the accuracy of the process comes in knowing your numbers, but you're right, it's not a requirement. It just may take longer to see the results of you are afraid of the scale. How often do you see this doctor to be weighed?