November 2015 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    Its been 6 looong days since my last run - Arg life happens. 7 km run with the running club today - a few new members showed up which we are always glad to see. It will be a struggle to meet my 140 km Goal as we are 1/2 way through the month and I am 20 km short of my planned runs. Limited catch up opportunities due to weather and limited Daylight hours.
    Probably the last Trail run of the year as it started to snow at 11:00 am and forecast is for 10 cm ( 4 in ) which hides all the roots, ruts and ponds on the trails so its becomes a dangerous slippery slide on the bush trails. So what we call the Real Estate Running Season begins - Running through the streets around the neighbor hoods.

11/01 – 4.6 Km – 4.6km – 135.4 Km
    11/03 – 5.6 Km – 10.2km – 129.8 Km
    11/04 – 6.0 Km – 16.2km – 123.8 Km
    11/06 –21.1 Km – 37.3km – 102.7 Km
    11/08 – 5.0 Km – 42.3km – 107.7 Km
    11/09 –10.0 Km – 52.3km – 97.7 Km
    11/15 –7.0 Km – 59.3km – 90.7 Km – – YTD – 7 + 431.4 = 438.4Km

exercise.png

So many posts - Everyone is doing great thangs, @kareF is in the bleachers nursing her injury but cheering everyone on. Looking forward to when we see you back doing some slow/short distance runs to slowly work yourself back into the routine.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Started a blog about my running. The first blog is my race report from this Saturday's Huntsville Half. http://therunningstan.blogspot.com/
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    WOW! So much great news on here from the weekend runs! I guess I didn't log on since Friday morning and tons to catch up on. I don't think I can get everybody, but I have my usual runner's envy reading about all these great runs! Planning on getting one in tomorrow morning but if I don't get to bed soon, 4:15 won't be happening.

@skippygirlsmom - Awesome PR!!!
    @Stoshew71 - Love the pics, especially you and @skippygirlsmom Excellent time! Will check out your blog.
    @kristinegift - Beautiful pics and way to go!!
    @Orphia - No one will laugh at you here! We all started somewhere. Congrats!
    @9voice9 - I missed your questions and then saw you did it! Good for you! :smiley:

Nov 1 - rest
    Nov 2 - 3.2
    Nov 3 - 4.3
    Nov 4 - strength training
    Nov 5 - rest
    Nov 6 - 5.0 Had to loop in front of house to hit 5 exactly. ;)
    Nov 7 - 5.0 in daylight!
    Nov 8 - 6.0 in daylight, but too darn hot and humid.
    Nov 9 - rest day.
    Nov 10 - 4.7 miles
    Nov 11 - strength training
    Nov 12 - 5.33 miles
    Nov 13 - 4.04 miles + strength training
    Nov 14 - 34 mile bike ride
    Nov 15 - 40 mile bike ride

exercise.png
  • runner_girl83
    runner_girl83 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    exercise.png

I forgot to add my warm-up before the race. Hey! It's an extra mile.

Ha! I would have done the same! :smile:
  • runner_girl83
    runner_girl83 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    Started a blog about my running. The first blog is my race report from this Saturday's Huntsville Half. http://therunningstan.blogspot.com/

Loved reading your write-up @Stoshew71 You look comfortable in every photo running! Looking forward to future write-up's! By the way.. The photo of the map.. I notice you are using an app called Stava? How do you find it? and will it let you play music too?
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    I'll catch up in a bit, but in short the conditions were absolutely perfect for the las vegas half tonight. Cool weather, wind blowing hard at my back for most of the race, a touch of refreshing rain at mile 11, and very little humidity.

Lots of slow jacka**es ended up jumping up into corral #1 & #2 (out of about 50) to try to stretch out the 5 hour marathon time limit, so I ended up doing a 7:35 pace for my first mile running around lots of very slow runners. Once I got past them, I managed to maintain a 7 pace for the rest of the race and finished at 1:32:46.

Anyhow, off to enjoy some beer & sausage at hofbrauhaus before flying back early tomorrow.

11/1 - 4 miles
    11/2 - 4 miles
    11/3 - 9 miles
    11/4 - 6 miles
    11/6 - 2 miles
    11/8 - 6.2 miles
    11/9 - 4 miles
    11/10 - 11 miles
    11/11 - 5 miles
    11/12 - 11 miles
    11/14 - 3 miles
    11/15 - 15 miles (w. 13.1 at 7:05 pace)

Total: 80 miles
    Target: 220 miles
    Remaining: 140 miles
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    HonuNui wrote: »
    Haven't run for a couple days .....but walked a boatload in Vegas.
    @ohhim...will be at the kid Rock concert on far left side...sporting a Toyota red sponge victory sign....as passed out at the expo!tthw4g92wjf7.jpg

Bad news is, I found a great pair of mizunos at the expo,bent over to try them on....and have been in back pain ever since! 13.1 seems unattainable right now!...but they sure are snazzy!

congrats to all who ran....and banged gongs this weekend. Advil,wine and sleep are on my menu for tonite.
    Tomorrow, I make a crepe and bacon breakfast for the whole famdamily who have come to watch me and sons fil run tomorrow.

Hey - apologies as I finally got online for the first time this weekend a few minutes ago... weekend in vegas with the guys has been pretty crazy as we've been doing lots of shows, fine dining, and other activities. I hope your back recovered in time as the conditions today were absolutely amazing and great for running a PR.
  • patrikc333
    patrikc333 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    06/11 - 13.5 miles
    07/11 - 10.3 km
    08/11 - 22.2 miles
    09/11 - 10.4 km
    10/11 - 13.2 miles
    11/11 - 13.4 miles
    12/11 - 10.4 km
    13/11 - 11.1 km
    14/11 - 10.3 km
    15/11 - 16.2 miles
    16/11 - 10.4 km

thankfully things improved a bit and I managed to run

Friday I was pretty desperate, couldn't move and I thought I was not able to run in the weekend

Saturday I found out that the more I move, the better the leg is, after a painful start, it looks like it needs to warm up. So I managed to go for a nice 10km, have been very careful and ready to stop as soon as I was feeling something weird. I did enjoy it, even if it was a little bit painful. Before going, I was absolutely miserable and in very bad mood, I need to learn to manage that, because it will happen that I won't be running in the future. but I was so glad to be out!

26km on Sunday, not my usual 35 but better than nothing and almost pain free (after the usual painful start). didn't go to the usual park and run on as much flat route as I could, without many changes in directions (that are painful)

if I managed to warm up during the weekend, this morning was harder as I had to go asap - start was really really painful, then I was ok

but the weather is awful, it's extremely windy and it rains, it starts to be a real struggle to go out in these conditions, the wind is so powerful that it almost knocked me down a few times. and this drizzle/extreme dark clouds/darkness is not inspiring at all

not very positive for tomorrow, for both the leg and because I feel tired, but tomorrow is another day

great time! @kristinegift

and nice picture @Stoshew71 - you really look happy and enjoying what you are doing, and there is nothing better to me that that

congratulations to all that run this weekend as well, hope you all had really good runs

• msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Did you ever figure out what was causing it? If I'm reading the symptoms correctly it sounds like what happened to me after a Half. I assumed it was cuboid syndrome or the boney notch on the outside irritating the peroneous longus ligament/ tendon ( can't remember which). That runs under that area. Basically a sprain I think. But I treated it like cuboid syndrome/sprain and its lined out slowly ~ 4 weeks easy going. My chiro can adjusted it, but I never made it to see him.
    msf74 wrote: »
    Gah. Looks like I will have to comment from the side lines for a little bit as I seem to have buggered up my left foot. I am waiting for a GP's appointment at the mo.

Did a long run on Sunday night and everything seemed fine as was Monday and Tuesday morning. Then on Tuesday afternoon the bottom of my foot started hurting next to the arch on the lateral side. Walking home that evening the pain got a lot worse and I had problems weight bearing.

It seems to have levelled out over the last few days and I haven't run since last Sunday. The symptoms are still there but at a lower level and I am limping a little. I sincerely hope its not PF. If it is I intend to be cautious and maintain my fitness through cycling for a while.

Bugger.

Doc wasn't sure of the cause and said it could be a number of possible things including PF. It probably is peroneal tendon injury though.

I have been advised to do the usual things: rest, ice, heat, stretches, medication and if it doesn't get better in a couple of weeks to go back for another appointment.

It did get much better over the weekend with rest and the use of an insole but it is painful again today after my walk to work. I will see how it goes.
  • patrikc333
    Options
    msf74 wrote: »

Doc wasn't sure of the cause and said it could be a number of possible things including PF. It probably is peroneal tendon injury though.

I have been advised to do the usual things: rest, ice, heat, stretches, medication and if it doesn't get better in a couple of weeks to go back for another appointment.

It did get much better over the weekend with rest and the use of an insole but it is painful again today after my walk to work. I will see how it goes.[/quote]

this is why I don't go to the GP
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    Nov 1 - rest
    Nov 2 - 3.2
    Nov 3 - 4.3
    Nov 4 - strength training
    Nov 5 - rest
    Nov 6 - 5.0 Had to loop in front of house to hit 5 exactly. ;)
    Nov 7 - 5.0 in daylight!
    Nov 8 - 6.0 in daylight, but too darn hot and humid.
    Nov 9 - rest day.
    Nov 10 - 4.7 miles
    Nov 11 - strength training
    Nov 12 - 5.33 miles
    Nov 13 - 4.04 miles + strength training
    Nov 14 - 34 mile bike ride
    Nov 15 - 40 mile bike ride
    Nov 16 - 4.3 miles

exercise.png

@patrikc333 - glad to read you were able to run and that it was pain free (after you warmed up and being careful). The weather sounds awful. Have you run through winters before? As awful as the 6 month brutal summers are here in Florida, at least we have nice winters.

@ohhim - amazing time! Congrats! Eins... zwei...supa! ( or whatever it is. Don't know how to spell that last part.) I usually just yell out some form of what I hear. Husband's family is from Munich so been to my share of those parties. I don't care for German food or beer, so I just eat a lot of pretzels and drink wine.

I have a new pain today in one ankle, but pretty sure it is from the biking. When I first started adding the biking into the mix in January I had a lot of strange pain when I ran. But, eventually I got to where everything was good and soreness from running would be eased by biking and the other way around as well. But two weeks off of biking and then jumping back on the saddle, and going 74 miles brought it back. Been lazy on using the foam roller the past couple months, so back at it this morning!
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    11/1: 22 miles LR
    11/2: 5 miles recovery style
    11/3: XT: 15 miles indoor bike
    11/4: 10 miles
    11/5: 7 miles tempo run (am), 7.2 with the Thursday crew (pm)
    11/6: Rest day
    11/7: 6 miles
    11/8: 15 miles - partly with group, partly solo
    11/9: 5 miles
    11/10: XT: 30 mins yoga
    11/ 11: 6 miles
    11/12: 4 miles (am), 3 miles with the Thursday crew (pm)
    11/13: Rest day
    11/14: 6.3 miles inlcuding 5k race and new PR! 22:16!
    11/15: 10 miles
    11/16: 4 miles

My weather app told me it was 48 degrees this morning, so I decided to wear shorts but too bad my weather app was LYING to me! It was definitely much closer to 40 and my poor legs didn't even warm up! Brrrr! Other than that though, run was easy peasy lemon squeezy. Happy Monday, all!

110.5/150

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    11/22: Philadelphia Marathon
    5/1: New Jersey Marathon
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options

Ohhim wrote: »
    I'll catch up in a bit, but in short the conditions were absolutely perfect for the las vegas half tonight. Cool weather, wind blowing hard at my back for most of the race, a touch of refreshing rain at mile 11, and very little humidity.

Lots of slow jacka**es ended up jumping up into corral #1 & #2 (out of about 50) to try to stretch out the 5 hour marathon time limit, so I ended up doing a 7:35 pace for my first mile running around lots of very slow runners. Once I got past them, I managed to maintain a 7 pace for the rest of the race and finished at 1:32:46.

Anyhow, off to enjoy some beer & sausage at hofbrauhaus before flying back early tomorrow.

11/1 - 4 miles
    11/2 - 4 miles
    11/3 - 9 miles
    11/4 - 6 miles
    11/6 - 2 miles
    11/8 - 6.2 miles
    11/9 - 4 miles
    11/10 - 11 miles
    11/11 - 5 miles
    11/12 - 11 miles
    11/14 - 3 miles
    11/15 - 15 miles (w. 13.1 at 7:05 pace)

Total: 80 miles
    Target: 220 miles
    Remaining: 140 miles

Don'tch just hate the slow peeps in the front! Last 10K I was passing walkers just chatting away at 0.33 miles on a narrow path with 1000 other runners. Like someone just stopping on the highway..
    Super time! Sounds like a great event!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    1-0 miles
    2-3.72 miles
    3-4.86 miles-I think. Phone restarted during my run
    4-rest day
    5-sick day. was supposed to do another 4.5 but I have a hacking cough that makes breathing hard. Head colds I can run with; chest colds, not so much
    6-rest day.
    7-sick
    8-sick
    9-3.2 miles, still sick but couldn't stand it any more
    10-5.28 miles. a little slow but I'm still sick. so slow is fine
    11-yoga day
    12-5.22 fastest day yet
    13-yoga day
    14-9.56 awesome miles
    15-rest day
    16-3.77-this one felt awful, i wanted to quit after mile 1.

upcoming race: 8k turkey trot with cinnamon buns at the end

exercise.png

• jtarmom
    jtarmom Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    In for 40 this month.

11/2 - 3 miles
    11/4 - 3 miles
    11/7 - 3 miles
    11/9 - 3.23 miles
    11/11 - 3.5 miles
    11/13 - swimming. 60 mph winds + horizontal rain. I'll run in stormy conditions, but that was a bit dangerous!
    11/16 - 3.59 miles

19.32/40 complete

Patellar tendonitis seems to be cleared up, now my OTHER knee was bothering me, had to cut my run short this morning. Felt more like ITBS.

I'm really getting sick of going from one injury to the next. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. I'm very frustrated! I'm nervous to go for too long of a run away from home in case I can't run back, and I'm always stressed if I'll be able to finish because of knee pain of one type or another. Anyone else ever keep getting nagging injuries? What did you do to break the cycle???

TIA!

• msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    patrikc333 wrote: »

this is why I don't go to the GP

Yes, it told me exactly nothing I hadn't thought of myself. Still, at least there is a note of the appointment so I can push for a referral sooner if conservative treatments don't work (which I rather suspect they will.)

It's my own fault really. I have been really slack with stretching recently and I knew that my calves and hamstrings were ludicrously over tight. I also have a historically weak left ankle which means more pressure on the tendons.

Just went for a walk and the foot feels fine except for some tightness on the lateral side. I will probably rest for another week and then get back on it if things carry on as they are (which is probably a blessing in disguise as I am really busy this week.)

Well done to everyone who raced this weekend. Awe inspiring result all round. Huzzah!
  • patrikc333
    Options
    @ddmom0811

yes I did last year but not everyday and so early

I've been through lots of changing in my life during this last year, I moved to England from Italy 10 years ago with the idea of enjoying the colder/rainier weather (I was crazy I know), but now I cannot stand it anymore! I became a meteopathic :smile:
  • jtarmom
    jtarmom Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Just catching up...seems to be lots of injuries going around! We should have an injured runners thread so we can commiserate on our injuries and share the vast knowledge on rehab we all gain from Dr. @Stoshew71

Love the beautiful scenery that every has posted. One of the reasons I love running! I'm an o-dark hundred am runner, so I just get to see shadows and headlights.

@patrikc333 - I hear your pain - my last run had the same problem with my knee. Over the past year I've had ITBS on my left knee, then patellar tendonitis in my left knee, now the right IT band is acting up. Frustration!

@Stoshew71 - Thanks for posting the songs with the metronome a few pages back! I did download them and I think it might help to get used to the higher turnover to reduce my never ending injuries.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options

jtarmom wrote: »
    In for 40 this month.

11/2 - 3 miles
    11/4 - 3 miles
    11/7 - 3 miles
    11/9 - 3.23 miles
    11/11 - 3.5 miles
    11/13 - swimming. 60 mph winds + horizontal rain. I'll run in stormy conditions, but that was a bit dangerous!
    11/16 - 3.59 miles

19.32/40 complete

Patellar tendonitis seems to be cleared up, now my OTHER knee was bothering me, had to cut my run short this morning. Felt more like ITBS.

I'm really getting sick of going from one injury to the next. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. I'm very frustrated! I'm nervous to go for too long of a run away from home in case I can't run back, and I'm always stressed if I'll be able to finish because of knee pain of one type or another. Anyone else ever keep getting nagging injuries? What did you do to break the cycle???

TIA
    I don't know if PT would help.I had some issues with hip alignment, seems to help a lot. Good luck!
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    11/1 - rest day / Halloween Hangover
    11/2 - 5.25 miles, 55° at 5:30 a.m. in Iowa! Nuts, but I love it!
    11/3 - 4 miles on indoor track followed by weights / abs. After running mostly outside for six months, you can run pretty fast on a flat, indoor surface.
    11/4 - 5.1 miles, again about 55° at 5:00 a.m. Getting spoiled by the weather!
    11/5 - woke up with some major heel pain...a touch of plantar fasciitis perhaps. Decided to take my rest day early and try again tomorrow.
    11/6 - 4 miles on indoor track + weights / abs. Heel feeling better, but not completely pain free.
    11/7 - 6 miles on a gorgeous morning!
    11/8 - 4 miles on another gorgeous day! Tried to get my daughter to come with, but she just wanted to walk...so I did that first.
    11/9 - 4 miles on indoor track, followed by lots of stretching
    11/10 - Rest Day.
    11/11 - 4 miles on indoor track, then weights and abs.
    11/12 - 5.1 miles on treadmill (Trek class)...always seems to be the most difficult run of the week.
    11/13 - Unplanned rest day due to catastrophic appliance failure in my home :/
    11/14 - 6.2 chilly but lovely miles in DSM...running out of these kinds of days I am afraid.
    11/15 - 4.7 beautiful miles around my neighborhood...lots of stinky female gingko trees
    11/16 - planned rest day

exercise.png