Has anyone done atkins?

Options
I'm thinking about doing atkins 20 or 40 but wanted to know if people got good results from it. What was your experience with it?

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I haven't, but whatever you decide, read, read, read, and follow it through, don't just do it, then stop.
    Good luck!
    (mainly I'm just bumping your post in hopes that an Atkins dieter will reply)
  • Achaila
    Achaila Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I guess you could say that I do Adkins. I'm a low carber. 43 (which I have lost since July) of my 75 (lost over the course of years) pounds lost has been from eating a low carb diet.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I'm a low carber who as been doing something like the phase 1 Atkins for about 5 months. It's worked well for me. My health is improved and I has lost over 35 lbs so I am close to my goal weight.

I agree it is a good idea to try the Atkins group or the Low Carber Daily. There isn't much support for low carbers on the main boards.
  • l8knut
    l8knut Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I did Atkins a while ago and I dropped 20 lbs pretty quickly. I felt better. I did it because I was looking for an "easy" diet and because I have tried so many. The biggest issue was it didn't fit into my lifestyle very good. I was always eating different foods from everyone else in my house which made it difficult. Also I thought it really restricted food choices, made it hard to get enough to eat sometimes. The CICO rule has really worked the best for me. I can eat with my family as long as I watch my portion sizes. I have also found I lost just as much this time around just as easily and I can live long term like this.
  • cwagar123
    cwagar123 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    knburch20 wrote: »
    I'm thinking about doing atkins 20 or 40 but wanted to know if people got good results from it. What was your experience with it?

hated it. did it in 2007. HATED it
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Hated every second of it and it ended in the consumption of an entire loaf of French bread. Your mileage may vary. Some people enjoy that typing of eating and it seems to work great for them.
  • NeonStrikeVi
    NeonStrikeVi Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Tried a very low carb diet in the past. Hated it. I want to find the balance between enjoying food and being sensible with what I eat. A low carbohydrate diet just made me miserable and was too restrictive in my opinion. Everyone is different though, maybe you'll enjoy doing it. Good luck to you.
  • frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Diem78 wrote: »
    Did it for awhile. Didn't like it. Too restrictive and depriving for me. Also gave me headaches and lack of energy, serious fatigue. Calorie counting has always worked better for me than anything else.

Me too!!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I'll add the caveat that when lowering carbs like in phase 1, you should give it a good week or two before you judge it's effectiveness because you WILL feel tired and weak for a while as your glycogen stores empty. Plus if you don't double your sodium, chances are that you will feel mildly sick too. The first couple of weeks aren't easy, the next few months could be, depending on the person.
  • lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,110 Member
    Options
    I haven't but have tried their bars. Fairly decent.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I've been 20g or less for over 6 months. I never felt sick in the beginning and I have achieved a level of appetite control I didn't even know was possible. I don't miss anything I'm not eating anymore because I didn't want to be earring that stuff anyway. It always seemed to be a source of cravings and overindulgence. Good riddance!
    I researched it well before starting and avoided all of the symptoms you often hear about causing people issues because of it. I couldn't say everyone can avoid them to the degree that I did, but it always helps to be prepared and understand your body's needs under different circumstances.
  • Qriss644
    Qriss644 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Atkins is just my style. I do like popcorn, so I miss that at movie times. I just love meat more, dark green vegetables and Avocados, here is the thing. You need to write what you eat down, check it out, the cal. intake is around 1200 for me a day, I use coconut and olive oil most the times, but I do use butter. My carb. intake is in the 10-15 zone. It works wonderfully when you travel, you can pass on the bread, potatoes, corn, rice objects pretty easily. Just don't sit down to pork butt and think you are doing okay, there is still the common sense issues of moderation. Read the Atkins book and then go back to the beginning and try to make sense of it all. I would say it is so much easier than Weight Watchers...there I had some challenges with what values were really affecting me. I never feel tired, weak or down...but after a huge workout...I have to have a refuel ready in that half hour phase, because everything is using up what I have stored and it can make you rather crabby. But you will feel it, don't think you will go psycho or anything and remember multi vitamins.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    It's a great starting point for low carb. He doesn't focus enough on healthy fats vs unhealthy ones, but overall it's good. The Rosedale Diet is better, as well as the Primal Blueprint.
  • l8knut
    l8knut Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Homemade bread...oh yeah! That seems to be the biggest problem with the Atkins, you have to pass on way too many things. Honestly I love bread, pasta and lots of other carb rich foods. Food was meant to be eaten! In moderation of course...
  • Lucille4444
    Lucille4444 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Low carb under 50, it's working. Few cravings, weight loss, feel better and more energy.
    I shop carefully so there is always a variety of stuff to eat.
  • knburch20
    knburch20 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I have terrible self-control when it comes to carb rich foods and sweets. Hopefully it stops my cravings. Did you have enough energy to work out, like HIIT and strength training?