November 2015 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    @Orphia - That is great! First 5k! No one here will ever judge your times...promise. That said, your time was 5 minutes faster than my first.
    @9voice9 - great morning of running!
    @skippygirlsmom - Congrats on the PR! Way to go! (These medals that are a bottle opener must be a trend...I got one this fall too)
    @kristinegift - Fantastic and fast! Sounds like a fun group. Way to represent IA! Love the photos
    @Stoshew71 - Good job! Love the picture of you and @skippygirlsmom!
    @Virkati - Woo hoo! That is fantastic! I feel the same way about people sometimes..."come on people, I just accomplished something, where's the love?!?"
    @Ohhim - Wow! You are speedy! Good job!
    @HonuNui - hope your back felt better enough to run. Love that you used the term "famdamily". That is one of my favorites!

Great job all! Way to achieve and inspire!!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    11/1-Rest
    11/2-Strength Training
    11/3-5.0 miles
    11/4-3.2 miles+ strength training
    11/5-5.2 miles
    11/6-4.5 miles +yoga
    11/7-Nada
    11/8-Another crappy day of nada
    11/9-4.5 miles
    11/10-5.1 miles+ strength training
    11/11-4.4 miles
    11/12-3.0 miles (dreadmill intervals @ 5K pace)
    11/13-3.7 miles
    11/14-5.0 miles
    11/15-10.0 miles

Just catching up with this thread from the weekend. Wow! You all are an amazing and inspiring bunch! Congrats on all of the PRs and first time accomplishments! You guys are kicking butt!

exercise.png
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    kareF wrote: »
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    Started a blog about my running. The first blog is my race report from this Saturday's Huntsville Half. http://therunningstan.blogspot.com/

Loved reading your write-up @Stoshew71 You look comfortable in every photo running! Looking forward to future write-up's! By the way.. The photo of the map.. I notice you are using an app called Stava? How do you find it? and will it let you play music too?

Strava is an online logger and social media page for bikers and runners. It actually synchs to my Garmin Connect account. So every time I upload the data from my Garmin watch, it automatcially synchs to my Strava account. It's a very popular site for runners. It keeps track of very popular running routes (called segments) and keeps a tally of all the strava users that crosses that segment and let's you know how you compare with others that also cross that segment. There are also various groups that you can join. MFP Long Distance Runners Forum has a strava group. There's a leaderboard to see who ran the most miles or elevation for the week. It also keeps track of your shoes (how many miles you ran in each of your shoes). I believe strava synch's up to endomundo, runkeeper, mapmyrun, and runtastic (in case you don't have a gps running watch). But yeah, I like to use it to analyze my runs as you can see from my blog post.

EDITED: I realized I never really answered your question directly. (How do you find it?)

http://www.strava.com and you can download it to your phone via Googleplay or Apple Itunes.
    Once you set up an account you can follow me on there by http://www.strava.com/athletes/6434743

And the mfp LDR group is: https://www.strava.com/clubs/myfitnesspalclub

• 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    01-Nov: 2.61 miles (walk)
    02-Nov: 4.47 miles; 1.00 miles (walk)
    03-Nov: 4.45 miles
    04-Nov: <Life Day> but 4.47 miles (walk)
    05-Nov: 3.27 miles; 3.00 miles (walk)
    06-Nov: 3.56 miles; 1.75 miles (walk)
    07-Nov: 6.42 miles
    08-Nov: 4.00 miles
    09-Nov: 6.42 miles; 2.56 miles (walk)
    10-Nov: 4.46 miles
    11-Nov: <Life Day>
    12-Nov: 4.46 miles
    13-Nov: 4.55 miles
    14-Nov: 9.55 miles
    15-Nov: 3.32 miles
    16-Nov: 4.47 miles
    17-Nov:
    18-Nov: <Life Day>
    19-Nov:
    20-Nov:
    21-Nov:
    22-Nov:
    23-Nov:
    24-Nov:
    25-Nov: <Life Day>
    26-Nov:
    27-Nov:
    28-Nov:
    29-Nov:
    30-Nov:

Upcoming Races:
    05-Dec: Reindeer Run 10K, Macon, GA
    16-Jan: Museum of Aviation 5K, Warner Robins, GA
    19-Mar: Cherry Blossom 10K, Macon, GA
    16-Apr: Running for Ronald 5K or 10K, Macon, GA

You people are making me crazy. I spent a few minutes this morning thinking about whether or not I want to do the 16-Jan race as a half, instead of the 5K. McMillan says 2:22, based on my 30:53 from the 5K last Saturday.

I'm not doing it as a HM. This time.

Crazy. :wink:

I maintain that I'm not a marathon candidate. 2.5 hours (give or take) is kinda an upper limit.

exercise.png
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    jtarmom wrote: »
    Just catching up...seems to be lots of injuries going around! We should have an injured runners thread so we can commiserate on our injuries and share the vast knowledge on rehab we all gain from Dr. @Stoshew71

Love the beautiful scenery that every has posted. One of the reasons I love running! I'm an o-dark hundred am runner, so I just get to see shadows and headlights.

@patrikc333 - I hear your pain - my last run had the same problem with my knee. Over the past year I've had ITBS on my left knee, then patellar tendonitis in my left knee, now the right IT band is acting up. Frustration!

@Stoshew71 - Thanks for posting the songs with the metronome a few pages back! I did download them and I think it might help to get used to the higher turnover to reduce my never ending injuries.

You know I am not a real doctor? I just play one on the Internet. :-)
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    Date Miles today. Miles for November

11/1 REST DAY
    11/2 10 miles - 10
    11/3 11 miles - 21
    11/4 4 miles - 25 << Recovery Day
    11/5 11 miles - 36 << Threshold Day
    11/6 6.2 miles - 42.2 << Recovery Day
    11/7 15 miles - 57.2 << Long Run (1 week till Huntsville Half)
    11/8 REST DAY
    11/9 REST DAY
    11/10 7 miles - 64.2 << Brueggers taper run (.5 w/u, 2.5 ~ghmp, 4 easy)
    11/11 4.1 miles 68.3 << Easy taper run in my neighborhood.
    11/12 5 miles 73.3 << PPounders taper run (all easy paced)
    11/13 REST DAY
    11/14 1 miles 74.3 <<< Warm-up before 1/2
    11/14 13.1 miles - 87.4 << Huntsville Half marathon (1:39:38)
    11/15 REST DAY
    11/16 REST DAY

exercise.png

Yikes. I had every intention of getting up and running some miles. Woke up and my legs were actually shot.
    Talk about DELAYED onset muscle syndrom. I was feeling pretty OK yesterday and then woke up and WHAM!

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @kareF I'm on Strava. Elise Harden

Any one else interested in connecting, I'm okay with that.

I havent used it in a while and just started linking it back from my Garmin (like @Stoshew71 ) said. It's nice to have when I forget my Garmin or find it's dead.

I have no idea how to find people. Mine keeps prompting me from fb or my contact's
  • Stoshew71
    edited November 2015
    Options

@Stoshew71 - Thanks for posting the songs with the metronome a few pages back! I did download them and I think it might help to get used to the higher turnover to reduce my never ending injuries.

For more music check out the thread I started in the group for good running form (overstriding).
    The music for 180 bpm is the first reply about halfway down. I wish I could remember how to post the link that makes you go directly to it. I think there is a link item# option?

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10228828/good-running-form-overstriding

• Stoshew71
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @kareF I'm on Strava. Elise Harden

Any one else interested in connecting, I'm okay with that.

I havent used it in a while and just started linking it back from my Garmin (like @Stoshew71 ) said. It's nice to have when I forget my Garmin or find it's dead.

I have no idea how to find people. Mine keeps prompting me from fb or my contact's

@Elise4270: your link is: https://www.strava.com/athletes/4253699 I just added you.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    11/1 - 10 miles
    11/2 - rest day - sore shins
    11/3 - 5 miles
    11/4 - 5 miles
    11/5 - rest day cross country meet with Skip.
    11/6 - 7 miles
    11/7 - life day off - XC pancake breakfast which turned into still cleaning up until lunch LOL
    11/8 - 6 miles tried something new and ran 9:58 pace :tongue:
    11/9 - 5 miles nice slow pace since my HM is Saturday
    11/10 - rest day
    11/11 - 4 miles - Happy Veterans Day!
    11/12 - rest day
    11/13 - rest day
    11/14 - 13.22 miles HM PR :smile: 2:11.37 so excited!
    11/15 - rest day
    11/16 - 2.7 miles recovery ouch sore ouch recovery sore run LOL

57.9 out of 110 miles

exercise.png

I need to stop having rest days or I won't make my goal :smiley:

Thank you all for the kind words on the HM finish! Skip came home from her trip to Orlando last night and gave me the biggest congrats hug and kiss, she told everyone on the trip about my race.
  • Somebody_Loved
    Somebody_Loved Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I think my target of 75 miles is going to prove to be a little aggressive but I'm continuing to work towards it. I had a pretty amazing run on Saturday. It's my last week of the 10k training app so it's the first time I ran 60 minutes without the usual 1 minute walk intervals. I was amazed at how prepared I was for it - the c25k and 10k training apps have both been super effective for me.

I'm hoping to get in a short run at lunch today so I'll be back to update if I'm able to manage that. Happy Monday, everyone!

11/01: 6.19
    11/03: 4.7
    11/05: 3.7
    11/09: 5.45
    11/11: 6.56
    11/14: 7.02

exercise.png
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I'm back. You folks have been busy! Nearly 400 new posts since I last visited this thread. It's doubtful I'll be able to ready through them all but I'm sure there have been some great strides made by everyone.

I've been so busy with two hunting trips, packing for two hunting trips, and trying to get things done at work and at home that I have not run in two weeks! I'll get out tonight though. It will be interesting to see how my stamina has held up. I did a lot of walking on my first hunting trip for pheasant, but this past weekend I spent most of my time in a deer stand. We did pretty good pheasant hunting but the only deer I saw was when I helped my buddy bring his deer out of the woods.

It's great to finally be back here and to be able to get back to running!
  • jtarmom
    jtarmom Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Just catching up...seems to be lots of injuries going around! We should have an injured runners thread so we can commiserate on our injuries and share the vast knowledge on rehab we all gain from Dr. @Stoshew71

Love the beautiful scenery that every has posted. One of the reasons I love running! I'm an o-dark hundred am runner, so I just get to see shadows and headlights.

@patrikc333 - I hear your pain - my last run had the same problem with my knee. Over the past year I've had ITBS on my left knee, then patellar tendonitis in my left knee, now the right IT band is acting up. Frustration!

Of course :) I kid...and try to flatter your vast knowledge of all that is running :)
  • Stoshew71
    Options

Of course :) I kid...and try to flatter your vast knowledge of all that is running :)

Freely I was given, and freely I give away.

Plus by discussing with you guys all my knowledge just enables me to keep on talking about it. :D

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @stoshew71 I'm a firm believer that DOMS hits 2 days later. It's funny because my quads hurt the most when I tried to stretch my legs out in front of me while I'm sitting. Good idea to take another rest day. Great blog by the way.
    @9voice9 so are you not running the HM because of what your time might be? You need to start somewhere :smile:
    @karllundy I think this race has used the bottle opener for a couple of years. I also won a door prize and grabbed a visor for Skip and a vest for me. The vest is nylon in the front and mesh in the back with Huntsville 1/2 written on the chest. A guy sitting next to me has one to bike and he said they are great.
    @virkati sorry I'm late, but here's WOOHOO to 6 miles, that is a GREAT accomplishment. People who don't run just don't get it.
    @kristinegift sounds like you had a great day yesterday and today. It was warmer there than here this morning. Skip and I are volunteering at the Rocket City Marathon next month and we said we'd do the medal finisher tee shirt area for runners coming in hours 3 - 5. We are really looking forward to it. Of course we just found out her first indoor meet is the same day. She said oh well I'm committed to the RCM volunteering.
    @ddmom0811 I hope the ankle is okay and it's nothing to worry about.
    @ohhim I've never run a race big enough that needed corrals, but I don't get people like that, you have to have some idea of where you will finish, start accordingly. Even in small races I hate when people are walking after 1/2 mile, seriously move to the side and start in an appropriate place so people don't have to go around you. Like Skip usually starts up front, I start back further I can't run her pace and she doesn't want to run mine LOL
  • aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    aarar wrote: »
    November 1 - lazy day, no running
    November 2 - 17km in the morning and another 4km with my dog in the evening.
    November 3 - 10km early this morning. First snowfall of the year. :'( I'm ready for it to be summer.
    November 4 - day off
    November 5 - 10km - less than 2km in and I tripped on the sidewalk and fell hard. I shook it off and kept going. When I got home I realize my running tights were ripped and covered in blood. Yay for running in the dark.
    November 6 - day off
    November 7 - 15km

November Total: 56km (194km/120-ish miles to go)

I was on holidays last week so I haven't updated in a while. I'm at 143km for the month with 107km to go.
  • Pmm5pla
    Pmm5pla Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I'm in for 100 km. 60 of that will likely be walking. I'm returning running after almost a year off. So far so good. Fingers crossed.
  • Pmm5pla
    Pmm5pla Posts: 265 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    November 2015

1= 8k walk (after my usual Sunday bike)
    2= 8k walk
    3= 5k run and 3k walk
    4= 15k long walk
    5= 5k run and 3k walk
    6= 6k walk
    8= 5k walk
    9= planned to go, but got lazy!
    10= 5k run and 3k walk
    11= 17k long walk
    12= 5k walk (in a storm!)
    13= 6k run and 3k walk This was my first time since my return in early October that I truly enjoyed the run.
    14= 3k walk Total so far is 98k. Crikey.........I better increase my goal. I had set it at 100k. Let's aim for 180k.
    15= REST
    16= 3k

exercise.png
  • SAfricaChick
    SAfricaChick Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    1/11 - Planned rest after HM
    2/11 - Travel day
    3/11 - Overslept
    4/11 - 4.7 miles
    5/11 - Migraine, no running
    6/11 - 6.3 miles
    7/11 - 3.3 miles
    8/11 - 15.06 miles
    9/11 - 3.23 miles
    10/11 - 5.49 miles
    11/11 - 5.82 miles
    12/11- 4.24 miles
    13/11 - Rest
    14/11 - 5.12 miles
    15/11 - 12.18
    16/11 -2.45
    Total: 67.8 miles

Target 125 miles
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    Man Who Shed More Than 200 Pounds Will Lead 1:40 Pace Group in Half Marathon This Weekend

Barry Brokaw weighed more than 400 pounds when he reached his heaviest in 2008.

http://www.runnersworld.com/weight-loss/man-who-shed-more-than-200-pounds-will-lead-140-pace-group-in-half-marathon-this-weekend?cid=soc_Runner's World - RunnersWorld_FBPAGE_Runner’s World__