Priobiotics

Options

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Emberrise wrote: »
    Thanks Angel, I'll look into it. And it is, I was watching a documentary and these two twins ate fried pizza, pop, fried eggs (I'm going off by memory here) but it had to be a 2,500 calorie meal easily everyday for lunch for years yet they never gained a pound and remained skinny. They found that the twins held higher amounts of gut bacteria that could play a role into why they remained at a thin weight and despite putting their body through that amount of calorie intake.

What documentary are you referring to?
  • Emberrise
    Emberrise Posts: 27 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    No she's not three feet tall wdf. And yes she went through it for years, and she had to stop due to hair loss and bleeding (body was not getting enough nutrition). This is my point it is not true that simple calories in calories out or we would all be able to easily fix our weight problems. I am even living proof of that and unfortunately the health society just perpetuates this myth... and unfortunately you seem to believe it too because your auto response is "that is not possible!" yet it is, because it happened.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,617 Member
    Options
    Thanks Kimmy :). Vital information. Also that's what I meant by nutrition yada yada. My mother had an issue she went on a starvation diet and remained at a healthy weight for 3 years, but had to eat 500 calories a day so no... that is not true in all cases. There are other factors for obesity other than diet, such as thyroid, POCS, insulin resistance etc.

Is your mother 3 feet tall? Cause there's no way she was actually eating 500 calories a day and maintaining. There are medical conditions which can affect the CALORIES OUT portion of CICO, but none exists that effect it to the extent of 500 calories a day. My 32lb 37 inch tall 2 year old requires more than 500 calories a day.

I was actually kinda thinking that starvation diet screwed up her mother's metabolism so she *had* to eat 500 to maintain or else she'd gain.

Also, OP, if you have a lot to lose, you should probably try logging your food and exercise and eat at a deficit before looking for magic supplements.

Seriously, I'm taking 3 kinds of probiotics right now and my weight loss is sucking. :)
  • Emberrise
    edited November 2015
    Options
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    It's not about gut bacteria

It's about eating too much and not moving enough

Horses not zebras
  • janejellyroll
    Options

Unfortunately, that episode is only available to Canadians. How did they determine that the TDEE of the twins was less than 2,500?
  • MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I have examples but I don't want to post them.... cuz I've already wasted enough energy and attention on something that is common knowledge. If you are actually wanting them, then they are easily accessible by your handy dandy Google that is one click away.

Please post you're examples as it is not common knowledge - would love to see the people that defy physics. I'm not going to google because the onus of proof is on you to substantiate your statements.

A calorie is a unit of measurement, like an inch or a liter. Calories measure energy. I recommend you google the Laws of Thermodynamics - it may help you better understand why people weigh what they do.

You are saying you are one of them. If you are one of those people in your profile pic, then have you actually sat down and figured out you daily calorie expenditure? Are you weighing all your food on a food scale with exception of liquids, but still measuring those? Do you weigh your prepackaged food as frequently the package weigh is not entirely accurate. Do you log EVERYTHING you consume? If not, try it out. If you exercise and record it into MFP, MFP has a tendency to over-estimate burn so try eating back only 50% of the exercise calories, not all of them.

I agree that gut flora plays a vital role in good health, but it is not an end all in weight loss. You're not going to be able to just take a probiotic and magically lose weight.
  • Emberrise
    Options
    No... it didn't screw her motabolism up in that way, she was eating healthy and walking 4 hrs a day and was overweight. Plus she comes from a background of farming and eating right portions and still being heavier...those unfamiliar with farming, it is gruelling all day affair every day. So there's no reason with her diet and lifestyle that she was overweight at a young age especially when she speaks of what she ate being normal. I..e 1 egg, vedgies, and a glass of milk for breakfast for example.
  • Emberrise
    Options
    Morgan I've done everything you mentioned, and I don't need to because IT IS common knowledge. I wonder if you've been sheltered your entire life or something. Also no, calorie is not the same thing as another calorie. A calorie of coke does something totally different than a calorie from a carrot. That is also a myth that divides health community. So no, some of your information is wrong and errored due to you assuming it is common knowledge and not providing links and examples :) THO if you were, I could easily dispute it, with MY links and examples. *Rolls Eyes @*.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26474235

CONCLUSION:

In both humans and animals there are characteristic changes in the gut microbiota associated with obesity. In animals but not in humans altering the microbiota can result in weight loss and weight gain which does not occur in humans. This suggests that in humans the changes in gut microbiota are an association with rather than the cause of obesity.
  • soapsandropes
    soapsandropes Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    The gut microflora is a very important part of our digestion. However, the probiotics on the market now are all very similar and contain mostly Lactic Acid Bacteria, the same bacteria can be found in fermented foods such as yogurt, kimchi, etc. The real hurdle to them making an impact on you health is that your normal flora is very resistant to change unless you do something dramatic (harsh antibiotics, radiation, etc.) So in order to keep a probiotic in your system you need to keep taking it. If you want some really interesting reading you should look into fecal transplants for patients who suffered C. difficile infection and treatment, just fascinating stuff.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    Morgan I've done everything you mentioned, and I don't need to because IT IS common knowledge. I wonder if you've been sheltered your entire life or something. Also no, calorie is not the same thing as another calorie. A calorie of coke does something totally different than a calorie from a carrot. That is also a myth that divides health community. So no, some of your information is wrong and errored due to you assuming it is common knowledge and not providing links and examples :) THO if you were, I could easily dispute it, with MY links and examples. *Rolls Eyes @*.

A calorie is simply a way to measure energy. A calorie of soda and a calorie of carrot are the same thing.

The NUTRITION in the two may not be the same, I think that is what you are talking about.

I do wish all this stuff was common sense, but countless posts here demonstrating about what a calorie is or how our body uses energy have shown me that they aren't. And to be honest, I didn't know all this all my life either. I used to think that a calorie from soda was different than a calorie from carrots. There's no shame in admitting that we still have stuff in life to learn. Most of us who carry or have carried extra weight also have tended to fall for a lot of myths about weight loss in our attempts to deal with it. We also tend to gravitate towards theories promoted by people who tell us that a pill or potion may fix it.
  • Sued0nim
    Options

Oh my.

A calorie is a unit of energy, like a cm or a mile. It just is.. Different foods have different nutritional values but a calorie is just a measurement of energy...no myths

• MorganMoreaux
    Options

Literally just LOLed. Thx!
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,617 Member
    Options
    The gut microflora is a very important part of our digestion. However, the probiotics on the market now are all very similar and contain mostly Lactic Acid Bacteria, the same bacteria can be found in fermented foods such as yogurt, kimchi, etc. The real hurdle to them making an impact on you health is that your normal flora is very resistant to change unless you do something dramatic (harsh antibiotics, radiation, etc.) So in order to keep a probiotic in your system you need to keep taking it. If you want some really interesting reading you should look into fecal transplants for patients who suffered C. difficile infection and treatment, just fascinating stuff.

I've had C. diff.

Not. Fascinating.

:p
  • MorganMoreaux
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Seriously, in lieu of being hostile and immediately dismissive, try listening to what people are trying to tell you. Nobody here is trying to be mean or mislead you. Everyone is trying to give you sound advice on your weight loss and help educate you on the nature of nutrition.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Please provide a link , my weight loss has stalled and I'm desperate.
  • Kimegatron
    Kimegatron Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    My best friend is thin. She always has been, and she eats like a horse. She always has. The thing is... is that she moves A LOT. Her and her husband will go to the gym at times, but she has an on her feet job and probably averages 15,000 steps a day, just by working that job full time. Take in account her regular steps outside of work, I wouldn't be surprised if she gets over 22,000 steps a day on average. Me? I have a sit down job and have always been less active than her. If I walk around on my breaks, I MIGHT leave work with 5,500 steps. Then I MIGHT go on my nightly walks, depending on weather. If I do, I can get anywhere from 10,550 steps to 15,000. I STRIVE to get her average work steps. So she can eat whatever she wants because she is, and always has been, much more active than I. I don't believe she consumes any probiotics. I give my dog some greek yogurt sometimes to help with digestion, though! Dog farts are serious business, yo.
  • aliciasilfies
    aliciasilfies Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I take a probiotic to help with my IBS issues, but I haven't seen more or less weight loss than I was before I started taking it. I also didn't start taking it to lose weight. It does help my digestion though! :)
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options

Now we're rolling our eyes?

No. A calorie is just a unit of measure. One foot of spaghetti is one foot. One foot of zucchini is still one foot. Calories are in fact calories. Eating at a caloric deficit, no matter what FOODS make up those CALORIES, will result in weight loss.

Probiotics may aid in digestion and general health, the same way choosing that zucchini over that spaghetti would improve overall health in SOME cases, but they do not cause or alter weight loss. Only eating less of them causes weight loss.