what is good protein for vegetarians? (with little carbs)

Options
I recently cut out meat. I'd like to find a good protein source that doesn't add up on the carb side.
As most veg protein include carbs...eg lentils,
Beans,...
Any suggestions?

Replies

• sarahgreensandthings
    Options
    As a new veggie person who has dealt with the same issues, I've figured that Ad long as I meet minimum protein requirements (about 35g) that a higher percentage of carbs is just something to live with. I try not to go overboard, but I can't help it too much. If you're looking just to balance out the ratio to lower carbs, try more nuts, seeds and butters of the sort, possibly protein powders as well. I'm not exactly sure what your primary goal is but I hope this helped!
  • eugenia94102
    eugenia94102 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Egg whites, yogurt, eggs, cottage cheese, milk, etc.
    If you are a vegan pea protein powder.
  • totaldetermination
    totaldetermination Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    seeds and nuts
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    As a new veggie person who has dealt with the same issues, I've figured that Ad long as I meet minimum protein requirements (about 35g) that a higher percentage of carbs is just something to live with. I try not to go overboard, but I can't help it too much. If you're looking just to balance out the ratio to lower carbs, try more nuts, seeds and butters of the sort, possibly protein powders as well. I'm not exactly sure what your primary goal is but I hope this helped!

That's borderline muscle atrophy. 35 grams or protein a day is insanely low...
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Dairy has good sources of protein cheese and milk are good. You could also go with some whey protein powder if you need to get more protein in.
  • swift13b
    swift13b Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Not everyone is interested in mock meat products and they do vary in quality but I find that the easiest low carb/high protein option for me. I often make bolognese sauce with Quorn mince or have "chicken" schnitzels or nuggets that bake in the oven.

I also eat quite a bit of dairy (greek yoghurt with no added sugar/flavourings, low fat cottage cheese, string cheese etc) and add vegan protein powder to smoothies.
  • hamlet1222
    hamlet1222 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    beans and lentils are overrated - the ones I've looked at in the supermarket are around 10% protein - similar to bread and cereals. Seeds and nuts are higher protein, but they are also high fat and therefore high calorie, so you can't have too many to stay in your calorie deficit.

I try to be vegetarian most days, and pretty much depend on whey protein shakes.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    For protein/carbohydrate ratio, seitan is one of the best plant foods out there. You can also try tofu and tempeh.
  • VisofSer
    VisofSer Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    The suggestions depend on the type of vegetarian you choose to be.
    Eggs are king when it comes to protein. Cheese is rather good as well, but the carb and fat content vary depending on the type and age of the cheese. Nuts are great for everyone, but are calorie dense and fat heavy.

Sarah, how are you arriving at the figure of 35g of protein, presumably per day?
  • Kpablo
    Kpablo Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Hi! I've been vegetarian for 4 years now "officially" but my mother says I have never really eaten meat even as a toddler. I'm now 27 so I've got this thing down after several bouts of anemia. Protein is important to be mindful of - iron is equally as important. When you eat meat you digest protein and iron. Vegetatrians don't. Foods rich in protein is almond butter, black beans, making your own protein bars, hemp milk, hemp protein is alright. You really have to mix in a good strong smoothie though because it has a distinct flavor and texture. Iron - grains...which can be a worrisome balance. Too much grains can cause weight gain. Another is nuts, almonds has a good amount of iron and protein. But another worrisome balance because of potential weight gain. Bring vegetarian or vegan is a fine balance and an art lol you should definitely be taking a multivitamin. Personally, since I'm still of child bearing age and we do want more babies I take a prenatal every day. Takes care of b12 and iron deficiency I may encounter. The last thing you want is anemia - it truly messes with your body, your whole body. Good luck! Feel free to add me to look at my diary. Fair warning I cheated yesterday and had a soda. :smiley:
    swift13b wrote: »
    Not everyone is interested in mock meat products and they do vary in quality but I find that the easiest low carb/high protein option for me. I often make bolognese sauce with Quorn mince or have "chicken" schnitzels or nuggets that bake in the oven.

I also eat quite a bit of dairy (greek yoghurt with no added sugar/flavourings, low fat cottage cheese, string cheese etc) and add vegan protein powder to smoothies.

• Kpablo
    Kpablo Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Oh forgot to mention. I'm on the vegan side of things. I enjoy eggs in my cake but won't eat them just because and dairy in my ice cream. I'd rather ingest a small amount of dairy in my ice cream than soy. Over the next few months I'm going to slowly wean into veganism. Be careful with cheese because it gives you constipation. Once you've been a vegetarian for a while, your body will reject meat. I can tell if anything I eat has meat in it from a restaurant because the next day I'm queen of the thrown :persevere:
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Kpablo wrote: »
    Oh forgot to mention. I'm on the vegan side of things. I enjoy eggs in my cake but won't eat them just because and dairy in my ice cream. I'd rather ingest a small amount of dairy in my ice cream than soy. Over the next few months I'm going to slowly wean into veganism. Be careful with cheese because it gives you constipation. Once you've been a vegetarian for a while, your body will reject meat. I can tell if anything I eat has meat in it from a restaurant because the next day I'm queen of the thrown :persevere:

People who have soy allergies or intolerance can always try one of the almond, coconut, or cashew ice creams that are now available. There are many alternatives to dairy ice cream.
  • suzan06
    suzan06 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I eat eggs and dairy. Eggs most mornings, cheese with or in meals, etc. We usually have tofu one dinner a week. Beans at least one dinner, if not more (those have carbs of course). The Quorn fake meat is so yummy if you like to eat fake meat, and has less nasty stuff.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    eggs, dairy, soy, nuts, seeds, etc...beyond that, most vegetarians I know eat a moderate to high carbohydrate diet...it tends to come with the territory and there's nothing wrong with it...carbs aren't evil. I eat a lot of lentils and beans...I'm not vegetarian, but my diet is significantly plant based.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I suggest you reconcile yourself to a little more carbs. Vegetarian sources of protein will come with some carbs. Just as meat-eaters must reconcile themselves to a little more fat, as most animal sources of protein will come with a little more fat.
  • dragthewaters1991
    dragthewaters1991 Posts: 45 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    If you are really concerned about protein, you can get a whey, pea, or hemp protein powder and make a smoothie. Other than that, plain Greek yogurt (it's actually pretty good by itself or with a bit of cinnamon, or you can use it in savory recipes) and tofu (but watch out because it can cause hormonal issues if you have too much).
  • fatguitarist
    fatguitarist Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    For protein/carbohydrate ratio, seitan is one of the best plant foods out there. You can also try tofu and tempeh.

Nailed it, seitan is pretty much pure protein, but if you are eating healthy you shouldn't have too much trouble with lack of protein
  • klove808
    klove808 Posts: 346 Member
    Options

If you have a hard to impossible time digesting soy and seitan then..... ? The whey / hemp powder is the only concentrated form that I can handle well. Also spirulina tablets! And I just make sure I get veggies etc. with higher protein more than those with less for the bulk of my diet. But I do love some Swiss cheese!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,645 Member
    Options

Nailed it, seitan is pretty much pure protein, but if you are eating healthy you shouldn't have too much trouble with lack of protein

Yet people do need to recognize that seitan is just gluten - wheat gluten. I have no problem with that, but many people do these days.

As an ovo-lacto veg, I don't have much problem getting 75+ grams of protein daily, but that does come with (often) 175-250g carbs (I don't care - and those are gross carbs, not net, BTW).

Rather than focus on giant protein contributors (though I do eat some, but that's the easy part), I try to eat so that almost every caloric food contributes at least some protein (and many of the less caloric ones). It's amazing how a gram or two or five add up over the day, from sources like broccoli, a tablespoon of seeds on a salad, etc. These are low quality proteins, usually (in terms of their amino acid complement), but because they're varied, they balance out to some extent.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Eggs, dairy and soybeans (edamame) are all excellent. :)