Anyone else have issues with their spouse and weight loss?

Options

Replies

• Brocksterdanza
    Brocksterdanza Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    she is 3
  • Brocksterdanza
    Brocksterdanza Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the info everyone. Sorry, this is just a touchy subject for me and i didnt see this going like it did tonight... I think im just hungry and stressed with a disney trip next week.... My apologies
  • tara_means_star
    tara_means_star Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    certainly have jem... she enjoys the classes but finds it difficult to get to them... We have started meal planning since our season is over.... that is going better. I just wish she would get more involved with fitness aspect...

My husband is losing weight but refuses to exercise past the occasional walk in the park. I don't let it bother me. If I want to exercise, I bank on the fact that he won't be joining me. Now I look at it as "me" time. She can still lose weight even if she decides not to join you with exercise.
  • blkandwhite77
    blkandwhite77 Posts: 281 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I started my weight loss journey 1.5 years ago. I slipped for a couple months and got back on track. My husband wanted to lose weight the whole time but wanted it to come off without making any changes. It was frustrating. Occasionally, I'd bring up us both losing weight for our children and us but I left it at that. Then 2 months ago he said he wanted to start doing something about his weight. We joined a gym with a family membership. I've lost a total of 70 pounds, he's lost 15 pounds and even my 18 year old son and 17 year old daughter joined and my sons lost 50lbs and my daughters lost the 20 pounds she wanted to lose. It all happened when each of us individually wanted to make a change. Now my husband, son, and I are all using MFP as well. None of us could be forced and we all had and have our own journey to take. Yes, we encourage one another but we know it's about personal choice and responsibility and we can't force someone to change their thinking.

Point is. Give her time. She may decide 1.5 years into your journey she wants to do it too! In the meantime love her like she deserves as your wife and don't think your better just because you started your journey on a different time table than she has. Good luck :)
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    You control you. Put food away in cabinets. Pre-log your food. Don't have such a restrictive diet that you give up everything you like. Leave the kitchen.
    What you really need to work on is finding a better way to manage your stress. If you don't get new tools you will always use food no matter what your wife does. Exercise, meditation, deep breathing, journaling, therapy, making art, making music, listening to music, knitting, wood working, cleaning, talking could all be ways of dealing with stress. Find something that works for you.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    re gym: can you set up some pieces for a home gym for her /for the both of you?

Things will get easier when the little one is a year or two older.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Does your wife work outside the home and if so, is it an active job? If yes to both, it could be that she's just tired and doesn't want to work out with you. And honestly, she probably doesn't need to. I would love for my husband to walk with me but he regularly logs well over 10K steps at work. In fact, he usually has that many even before noon. So he doesn't really need to walk with me and I totally understand why he doesn't want to.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    she is 3

You have a 3 year old

Seriously?

You are concerned that your wife can't be bothered to go to the gym. You're lucky she's a functioning adult who makes it to the shops ...pre-schoolers are hard work. Does your wife work? How many household tasks do you do? when was the last time she had a night out with friends, a weekend away? A night out with you? Do you appreciate how quickly you can lose "you" with young children?
  • rjugy12
    rjugy12 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Coach I'm married we work I intermittent fast which is a bit hard cause I eat 2-8 but it keeps me from having bad things knowing I can't eat bad
  • ZeroDelta
    ZeroDelta Posts: 242 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Looks like excuses to me

Do your own shopping and stress eat a carrot

And do your own cooking. Ask yourself this question: "Is she cooking me dinner or is she cooking herself dinner and I'm eating the additional portions?" IMHO your meal should reflect your nutritional needs.
  • ZeroDelta
    ZeroDelta Posts: 242 Member
    Options

Most people in MFP, have been busting *kitten* to get to thier goal and or have done so on thier own. It takes will power and mindset to do that. Thats why it urks people off. When a grown man blames his wife for buying/ eating junk food.

This! :smile:
  • _Justinian_
    _Justinian_ Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    she is 3

You have a 3 year old

Seriously?

You are concerned that your wife can't be bothered to go to the gym. You're lucky she's a functioning adult who makes it to the shops ...pre-schoolers are hard work. Does your wife work? How many household tasks do you do? when was the last time she had a night out with friends, a weekend away? A night out with you? Do you appreciate how quickly you can lose "you" with young children?

Whoa. Someone really struck a nerve there!
  • Protranser
    Protranser Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    This was a fun thread to browse through!

I'd like to offer a character building outcome of this currently insurmountable issue you descreibe. If you can take full ownership of your own ability to monitor your own health and wellness while having to be so close to the edge of temptation, you'll just prove to yourself that you can get through some pretty hard times.

'
    Uh i did. .. read above. .. i said
    Again, completely not saying this isnt my fault at all.... I have to be able to say no.... but its almost like she wants me to fail sometimes...

I have to be more disciplined. .. i get that. .. I've said that. .. i would just love for us to do this together so that we are good healthy examples for our daughter.

• RobinSturgeon
    RobinSturgeon Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I hear ya. My husband loves junk food and wine. Brings it out every evening to relax and brings me some too even though I've asked him not too. He thinks he is being sweet. Marriage is tricky and obviously no marriage is perfect! So yes. I understand. Good for you for making changes!!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I was simply asking for help in getting my wife into the gym with me. It turned into follks saying i was a drama coach... i guess i need to learn that you sometimes can't ask things without getting a few rash responses. Thanks to those that answered my question and gave advice based on their experience in the marter. I will be selective from now on. My apologies.

Good luck with that (the bolded part). My wife is trying to lose weight also, but wants nothing to do with doing it my way. I've asked her to go to the gym with me or go for walks or whatever, but she's not interested so I do my own thing and let her do hers. She knows my way is more effective and she can see the results I'm getting, but it's not something she wants to do. Just as I won't let her coerce me into going to dance or yoga/pilates classes or whatever, I don't try to coerce her into lifting weights or doing cardio. There's nothing about it she enjoys and she wouldn't stick to it or put any effort into it, so why try to force her to do it?

As far as food goes, we both eat similarly, but I'm looser with the occasional candy, junk food, etc. I can do moderation, but she can't, so she asks that I keep them in a separate cupboard where they're out of sight and she can't reach them. Works for both of us.
  • Mistraal1981
    Mistraal1981 Posts: 453 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    It's really amazing how many just exist to cut you down on here. I have taken responsibility... see above... i simply asked if anyone else had issues like this. ... many have. I just don't get it. Whenever i respond to someone asking for help, the last thing i would ever do is start cutting them down... it would be different if i said it was all her. I have stated its my fault, just wondered if others had experienced this.

Hi, you have to understand that we don't know the exact details of your life, we are not your friends, we are WAY more than that. We are people who are or have been where you are and we will tell you how it is in our view/experience, we do not tell you what you WANT to hear. Some people sugar coat it, some go the tough love route. Be grateful for such a wide range of answers that cause you to think of things from a perspective you may not have ever considered. Don't resent it because its not what you expected to hear. If people have taken time out of their life to respond to your thread, it is coming from a good place.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    she is 3

You have a 3 year old

Seriously?

Whoa. Someone really struck a nerve there!

Been there - done that - got the t-shirt

I can assure you that most parents will recognise the issues of losing yourself in your children - the OP needs to recognise how he parents and supports his wife's self-actualisation
  • kisses71213
    kisses71213 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    she is 3

You have a 3 year old

Seriously?

^^^YES!!! ;)
  • kisses71213
    kisses71213 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    If you want your wife to lose weight you better pamper her royally, compliment the hell out of her, make her feel special and cook for her healthy foods and take her on long romantic walks..... then she'll get skinny as hell! ;)
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Happily married men do house work or pay for someone to come in for cleaning and laundry.