Is working out at 4:30 am smart?

Options
I workout at 4:30 am because my day is busy But after working out I am very tired for the rest of the day. Any suggestions for what i should do?

Replies

• optionsgod
    optionsgod Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    its not bad, but it depends what works best for you and your schedule....
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options
    I work out at 430am and I'm not dumb.

As far as being tired, you get used to it. I'm in bed by 9pm.
  • LiveLoveLift48
    LiveLoveLift48 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I love to work out early. I beat the crowds at the gym and it starts my day off right. maybe you are not getting the proper pre or post workout fuel and that is why you are so tired the rest of the day. Getting enough sleep the night before is important as well.
  • TheRoseRoss
    TheRoseRoss Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Caffeine (not a crazy amount. I just take a caffeine pill before heading to the gym), and getting to bed on time. If 10p rolls around and I'm not already asleep, it's gonna be a rough day.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Its an early day, but when its done I'm glad I did it. Some people take a preworkout but I just drink coffee and it helps. The natural endorphins keep me going the rest of the day, but I'm also in bed by 930 or 10. I'm kind of weird that I can function with minimal sleep anyway.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I don't know what will carry you through the whole day, but I myself have been having trouble getting my energy ramped up for my 5:45am workout. For the past couple days I've been experimenting with eating heavier in the evening, getting to sleep obviously, and taking a pre-workout supplement before the gym. This combo has been working well for me so far.
  • sunshinesmb
    sunshinesmb Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I also have been having a hard time getting out the door by 5:45. Going early is the best and I feel great afterwards. I try not to give myself the option of not going. Alarm is set up on the other side of the room, brightness of the lights and the smell of coffee helps.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    When I working 60 + hours a week, 4am was the only time I had to workout and I was fine with it.
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    I've been doing a 4 30am workout every second day for the last little while. I love it!! It's a great invigorating way to start the day. But yes it can get really really hard to get up at that hour. I put my phone away from the bed so I have to actually turn the alarm off lol :lol:
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Work out whenever you find the time, doesn't matter when it is. If I work out early in the morning I drink another cup of coffee to get myself moving again if I'm feeling tired later on in the day.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    It depends on your schedule. For me, it would not be doable. I would have to wake up at 4 or earlier, which would mean for me shifting my bedtime to around 8 to be able to function. And this would not be realistic.
  • Working2BLean
    Working2BLean Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I do it daily

It keeps me from letting busy life block my workout.

I'm on a stationary bike as I type this. Gotta have my workout and can't let a busy day ambush my fitness plans!!

• girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    personally I wouldn't trade sleep for a workout. You need to find a balance where you can fit in a workout and get enough sleep. Many people underestimate the importance of sleep. If I am tired, I eat more. I know this, so I prioritise sleeping.

I would rather get in a shorter workout and adequate sleep. Sleep is so important for our health that building up a sleep debt is never a good idea. Find a balance.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    I work out at 430am and I'm not dumb.

As far as being tired, you get used to it. I'm in bed by 9pm.

ditto but I'm up at 4am
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    personally I wouldn't trade sleep for a workout. You need to find a balance where you can fit in a workout and get enough sleep. Many people underestimate the importance of sleep. If I am tired, I eat more. I know this, so I prioritise sleeping.

I would rather get in a shorter workout and adequate sleep. Sleep is so important for our health that building up a sleep debt is never a good idea. Find a balance.

I agree with this too. Another thing that's been making me feel better is letting myself sleep later one day out of the week, even if it means forfeiting a workout. I was flat out tired. Waking up to work out is one thing, but forcing yourself when your exhausted is counterproductive.
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Early bed the night before, and coffee/a good breakfast afterwards.

It gets easier the more you do it.
  • FitGirl0123
    FitGirl0123 Posts: 1,273 Member
    Options
    This is entirely up to you. If you are not used to waking up that early to work out, it will take time, but you will adapt. You may find that you need to get in the bed earlier. Or you may find that those early morning workouts don't work for you and that you will need to find a different time.
  • patrikc333
    patrikc333 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    my runs start at 430am - the problem is sleeping time, it affects a lot the performance

I'm a zombie by 4pm, but a good coffee/some carbs wake me up, so no big deal

another big problem is the hunger after, waking up at 4 means that it's been 8 hours I'm awake at midday, but nothing I cannot cope

on the plus, I can do other staff during the day without worrying to miss the run, no one is around and no one therefore should annoy me
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I wake up to run at 4:30.

Couple of things I can think of to help you.
    Make sure you go to bed earlier. get your 8 hours of sleep in.
    Make sure you replentish your carbs after your workout. if you work out so intense that your carb stores (glycogen) is all depeleted then you will be dragging for the remainder of the day. If you workout first thing in the morning, you likely already glycogen depleted from fasting all night during sleep. So get a good breakfast with lots of quick carbs like within 30 minutes after the workout, and protein. 1 g of protein to 3 or 4 grams of carbs is the accepted ratio. That means, at least 10-20 g of protein and possible 30-75 g of carbs.

If you are new to this schedule, you may have to allow your body time to get used to all of this.
  • ovidnine
    ovidnine Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    That's when I do it. I mostly lift and while I might be a bit tired for the day I'm not exhausted or anything.

I do go to bed between 8:45-9 most nights during the week though.