Is working out at 4:30 am smart?

Options
2»

Replies

• ChristineCain
    ChristineCain Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I workout 5 days a week at 4:30a. I used to go immediately after work but now I don't have the time for afternoon sessions. I used to hate morning but now I love it. I have so much more energy throughout the day and can get things accomplished in the evenings whereas I was rushing to squeeze everything in just to make time for the gym before. To each their own, you have to find what works best for your situation.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options
    In this morning at 4:05 am and out by 5:40 before the crowd ( of two people) walked in.
  • gomolyakag
    gomolyakag Posts: 1 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I think working out early in the morning (and I do it at 4:30 am) is more effective than in the evening and here are my pros and cons:

Morning (pro): Highest testosterone level that allows one to push themselves more.
    Evening (con): Low testosterone level that limits.

Morning (pro): Uncrowded gym that allows you to get your workout done fast.
    Evening (con): Overcrowded gym that makes you to have to wait for equipment to free up and lose the pump.

Morning (pro): Higher fat burn when working out on an empty stomach due to no glycogen in the body.
    Evening (con): Lower fat burn due to carbs consumed throughout the day.

Morning (pro): Not having to think about that you still have get your workout done. Feeling that you already accomplished your first goal of the day.
    Evening(con): Something comes up at work where you have to stay late and you dread going to the gym too late or don't have the time. Still having to think about that you have to get your workout done.

When looking at the short list above, it is clear that the morning is better for workouts. The only category that I see where working out in the evening might be more beneficial is higher energy from calories consumed during the day. But even so, you can still have good-decent energy by taking some pre workout in the morning and getting plenty of sleep and water the night before.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    I work out at 430am and I'm not dumb.

As far as being tired, you get used to it. I'm in bed by 9pm.

Exactly this.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Caffeine. Lots of caffeine.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,366 Member
    Options
    gomolyakag wrote: »
    I think working out early in the morning is more effective than in the evening and here are my pros and cons:

(1) Morning (pro): Highest testosterone level that allows one to push themselves more.
    Evening (con): Low testosterone level that limits.

(2) Morning (pro): Uncrowded gym that allows you to get your workout done fast.
    Evening (con): Overcrowded gym that makes you to have to wait for equipment to free up and lose the pump.

(3) Morning (pro): Higher fat burn when working out on an empty stomach due to no glycogen in the body.
    Evening (con): Lower fat burn due to carbs consumed throughout the day.

(4) Morning (pro): Not having to think about that you still have get your workout done. Feeling that you already accomplished your first goal of the day.
    Evening(con): Something comes up at work where you have to stay late and you dread going to the gym to late or don't have the time. Still having to think about that you have to get your workout done.

When looking at the short list above, it is clear that the morning is better for workouts. The only category that I see where working out in the evening might be more beneficial is higher energy from calories consumed during the day. But even so, you can still have good-decent energy by taking some pre workout in the morning and getting plenty of sleep and water the night before.

(1) Testosterone levels are usually higher in the morning but I don't think that has anything to do with being able to push yourself harder.
    (2) Give you this one.
    (3) Nope - muscular glycogen stores are replaced through the day on a demand basis and are not used unless you are doing some physical effort using those particular muscles. You should also look up the 'dawn phenomenon' where the liver dumps glycogen into the blood stream to aid in the waking process.
    (4) This is the best reason (IMHO) to workout in the morning - life is unpredictable so getting the workout out of the way first thing ensures that the workout will occur.
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I really love to workout. Sometimes a spell of really early work outs is necessary for me. I have found that I can swim and/or lift in the early AM hours but if I run in the early morning, at least before I have been up a solid hour with coffee and breakfast, that my favorite activity of all becomes a horrible chore. I hated running when I did it in the early AM but since I tolerate swimming and lifting those were fine to "get out of the way". Also, going to bed earlier is not an option so all I am doing is getting up earlier and thus rather sleep deprived if I do a really early morning workout. It is not for everyone just do what makes you actually do it.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I run just about every day at 4:30 am. Over time, I feel way more energized than before I was working out. Maybe just give it time?

I also find I go to bed earlier (like 8:30 or 9pm), so I'm still getting the rest my body needs to get up that early.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    Caffeine. Lots of caffeine.

^^^^ And quite a bit of this!
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Simple-Yes
    Measureable-Check
    Achievable-??
    Relevant-Check
    Time Limited-Check

Certainly might be.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I'm not doing crap at 4:30 AM except sleeping, but I do ride around 6 AM when the temps start to go up to beat the heat. My rides aren't nearly as good in the morning...I feel my best in the afternoon or evening, but it's just too hot when summer rolls around.

It's also nice that I don't have to go home and get on the bike...I enjoy riding, but some days the office just saps my will to do anything else but go home and sit on the patio with a drink.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    It gets me up and going, no alarm clock needed. Like has been said, you need to be heading to bed by 9:30 or 10:00.
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    Options

Exactly this.
    Ha , I had to scroll back a little... my original comment was from 3 years ago!
  • Davidsdottir
    Options

Exactly this.

Well, your post was perfectly succinct!
    Options

Exactly this.

It was, but I no longer train that early in the morning!
  • Davidsdottir
    Options

Exactly this.

Lame :D
    Options

Exactly this.

Lame :D

:smiley: