Options
    WBB55 wrote: »
    ToBeMe33 wrote: »
    If you've recently started a new exercise regimen, water weight (needed to repair your newly-stimulated muscles) is masking the loss you're achieving via calorie restriction. Be patient for a few more weeks.

Gonna requote myself here... since it might have gotten lost.

Thank you!
    If you've recently started a new exercise regimen, water weight (needed to repair your newly-stimulated muscles) is masking the loss you're achieving via calorie restriction. Be patient for a few more weeks.

Thank you!

You're welcome. One question, when you "eat back" exercise calories, how do you compute/estimate them?

I wear a fitbit HR charge....

If I understand correctly, you're tracking your food on Fitbit and getting your exercise burns from Fitbit. Is your calorie goal for loss also from Fitbit? If so, would it be better to ask your questions on the Fitbit support forum?

no my calorie goal for loss is not from Fitbit.

Do you add exercises to your FitBit? Or just let it do it's thing?

I let it calculate the exercise
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Re: building muscle.

Research states that even male athletes have been observed to gain only 1lb per month of muscle. You must remember that they would be on the perfect eat(caloric surplus to gain muscle), sleep, rest, hydrate, cardio, strength routines, guided by their trainers and teams. Men have 16times more testosterone than women, women cannot get bulky due to this and we do not gain muscle nearly as fast as men. Especially in a caloric deficit. You may gain strength to move objects but not volume of muscle fibres.

Please do not state the "you may be replacing fat with muscle" nonsense. It is a good motivator, but it is misleading.

You are probably retaining water due to your new workout program. I am sure someone knows better, but I seem to recall that for every gram of glycogen that is retained to repair muscle fibres 4 grams of water are retained as well.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

Thank you!

Thank you!

You're welcome. One question, when you "eat back" exercise calories, how do you compute/estimate them?

If I understand correctly, you're tracking your food on Fitbit and getting your exercise burns from Fitbit. Is your calorie goal for loss also from Fitbit? If so, would it be better to ask your questions on the Fitbit support forum?

I think that's a bad idea ...you will need to judge by your weight loss averaged over 6-8 weeks against your food intake to see if it works for you
  • rs050711
    rs050711 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    This happens to me whenever I start exercising after being sedentary for awhile. It's actually very frustrating. You're working your butt off, but getting little to no results! :( Apparently a new exercise routine can cause you to retain major water. Try to be patient (I know, easier said than done!) and drink LOTS of water. Good luck!
  • speedygonzales32
    speedygonzales32 Posts: 21 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    last time i gained weight for no reason, i was pregnant

:-)
    Hormones play a big role. Did you google that?
    I noticed in my 60 lbs weight loss journey a few weeks I was so good eating and working out and the scale moved up. I was so frustrated so I googled it and there are a bunch of sites who explain the issue.
    Sure enough I weight mysElf a week later and I lost like 2-3 lbs.
  • ToBeMe33
    ToBeMe33 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Thank you!

Thank you!

I think that's a bad idea ...you will need to judge by your weight loss averaged over 6-8 weeks against your food intake to see if it works for you

ok so how do you accurately calculate your exercise?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Thank you!

Thank you!

You compare your estimated burns against the food you logged for that period and see what you lost or gained. That's the best way to determine if your Fitbit burns are accurate. Example: I've been eating all my Fitbit adjustments since July and have pretty much maintained my weight. I have confidence that my burns are accurate. If someone else gained weight unexpectedly while eating their adjustments, then they would know that the burns weren't accurate (assuming they had confidence in their food logging).
  • Sued0nim
    Options

Thank you!

Thank you!

Depends what you're doing

Steady state cardio at a decent intensity for 20+ minutes I'd take the HRM reading

Other exercises probably take 50% of exercise calories in the MFP database as a guideline
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options

Thank you!

Thank you!

You compare your estimated burns against the food you logged for that period and see what you lost or gained. That's the best way to determine if your Fitbit burns are accurate. Example: I've been eating all my Fitbit adjustments since July and have pretty much maintained my weight. I have confidence that my burns are accurate. If someone else gained weight unexpectedly while eating their adjustments, then they would know that the burns weren't accurate (assuming they had confidence in their food logging).

For what it's worth, I helped my FitBit be more accurate (based on my long term logs and losses) by lowering my height by 1" on the FitBit profile. My accuracy is better now -- though I did (and still do) keep careful logs to double check it.
  • ToBeMe33
    Options

Thank you!

Thank you!

Steady state cardio at a decent intensity for 20+ minutes I'd take the HRM reading

Other exercises probably take 50% of exercise calories in the MFP database as a guideline

That's all I use it to track is cardio....
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Thank you!

Thank you!

For what it's worth, I helped my FitBit be more accurate (based on my long term logs and losses) by lowering my height by 1" on the FitBit profile. My accuracy is better now -- though I did (and still do) keep careful logs to double check it.

I have also heard some people have gotten much better results by adjusting their stride length. I haven't messed with it because it seems to be pretty much on-target for me.
  • ToBeMe33
    Options

Thank you!

Thank you!

That's why I'm trying to see if strengths training may have an impact....I don't eat what the fitbit tells me to eat...if I did that I would surly gain/maintain.
  • Sued0nim
    Options

Thank you!

Thank you!

How do separate is out ..the cardio hr and calorie burn from your strength training? It's a 24 hr wearable isn't it?
  • ToBeMe33
    edited November 2015
    Options

Thank you!

Thank you!

How do separate is out ..the cardio hr and calorie burn from your strength training? It's a 24 hr wearable isn't it?

it is but I look at it when I start and when I stop, it also has an option to track exercise ... that's the only part I consider exercise....
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    I'd be interested in your results
    I do like my toys fitness devices, I'm just yet to be convinced of any benefit to a 24 hour HRM wearable
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I logged my fit bit burn calculated calories, and my MFP eat calories into a spread sheet for almost three months into a spread sheet. Fitbit was about 95% accurate in predicting my TDEE. I was actually losing a bit more than predicted. Then I really started to concentrate on strength training and now (2 months later, it is the other way around. It calculates my TDEE a bit higher than it really is according to my weight loss. I did as @WBB55 suggested and lowered my height. I am still waiting to see if it improves the accuracy.
  • Sued0nim
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I logged my fit bit burn calculated calories, and my MFP eat calories into a spread sheet for almost three months into a spread sheet. Fitbit was about 95% accurate in predicting my TDEE. I was actually losing a bit more than predicted. Then I really started to concentrate on strength training and now (2 months later, it is the other way around. It calculates my TDEE a bit higher than it really is according to my weight loss. I did as @WBB55 suggested and lowered my height. I am still waiting to see if it improves the accuracy.

Is it a HRM one Dani? That would make sense to me because your hr does go up during weights but that is not equal to the calorie burn formula for HRM to Oxygen uptake in steady state cardio

That said the long term benefits of increased musculature ...your TDEE may well go up...I'm pretty sure mine is now 1-200 over my fitbit burn ...at least my weight is stable and I'm over maintenance by over 1000 a week regularly
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

Thank you!

Thank you!

@WBB55 when you adjusted your height on fitbit, did you also reduce your stride length? I would have thought stride length would make more of a difference than height?? Not sure though..
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options

Thank you!

Thank you!

@WBB55 when you adjusted your height on fitbit, did you also reduce your stride length? I would have thought stride length would make more of a difference than height?? Not sure though..

I did, but that seemed to more decrease the credit I get for distance walked. Lowering my height changed my BMR and how many calories each exercise credits me. So I actually have changed both.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

Thank you!

Thank you!

I did, but that seemed to more decrease the credit I get for distance walked. Lowering my height changed my BMR and how many calories each exercise credits me. So I actually have changed both.

Aah Ok Thanks :smile: