Nutrisystem

Options
13»

Replies

• AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    I was on NS a while ago and really enjoyed it and found the plan easy to follow. The food was good, too. I did learn a lot about portion control and how important protein is. The biggest issue I had with NS was the cost of food and finding a place in my house to store a months worth of meals. I still order a few things a la carte from time to time. I really liked their mushroom risotto!

I know the weight came off because I was eating at a deficit. Their meals are low in calories. The best part was that it's already portioned out for you, making it easy if someone doesn't have a lot of time to prepare. When I was on it, my son was young and involved in a lot of sports and other activities so a plan like that was perfect for me.

Good luck to you, OP!! Keep us posted!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    OP, the forum might not be the best place to post daily progress reports. Every time you post, it will move this thread to the top of the public forum and you will continue to get people's opinions on NS. You could start posting these using the blog feature and making it visible to your friends list so they can keep up on your progress. Up to you, just wanted to mention it.

I will admit, i don't understand spending all that money on food that you could pretty easily reproduce yourself for a fraction of the cost. And based on what you have posted so far, I have to repeat, it sounds like you are not eating enough and will end up losing a lot of muscle mass unless you slow down a little and fuel your body better. Take care of yourself, and good luck to you.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I'd love to hear more about your progress as it comes!
  • cbaldridge76
    cbaldridge76 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Nutrisystem works. IF you follow it. AND you learn it's lessons. Because in the end, it's all about calories in vs calories out. Do you need NS to lose weight? No. But obviously there is a demand for programs like this, because people, like me, don't know where to begin.

I started out at around 200 lbs November 1, 2014, when I started Nutrisystem. My initial goal was to lose 20 lbs, which I did pretty easily, so I went for another 20 lbs, which took longer, but I wasn't struggling... so I thought, what the hell... go for my ridiculous dream weight... 140 lbs (60 lb loss). I achieved that this past June and have been maintaining since. I am still reverse dieting to find out my maintenance calories. And currently am up to about 2150 cal/day. All throughout, I've been using MFP to log my food and exercise. I also follow principles of IIFYM... but using the macro recommendations of MFP.

My cholesterol and diabetes blood work, which used to be bad are now all in the ideal ranges. All my electrolytes, kidney, liver tests are normal as well.

I learned many things about eating and fitness in the past year. I respectfully disagree with OhMsDiva in that you don't count calories with NS. In fact, I think that counting calories is actually the whole basis of NS if you boil it down. Staying around your calorie goals, while still adding in the other foods. This is where people fail once they go off it... they don't realize that during your journey, you need to learn how to live within your calorie limits. There's nothing magic about the food. They are just 150-300 calorie servings of food. I just enjoyed it because I didn't have to think, or shop for entrees... meanwhile, learning how to weigh my other food, count and budget calories.

There are a lot of people who are negative about NS, but having first hand knowledge about it, I can tell you it works. Even though it's not the only way to lose weight... it is A way. What's working for me right now is that I'm pretty much doing exactly what I was doing while I was losing weight, only now, I'm just eating more. I never restricted any type of food that I love to eat. So I still have ice cream and/or chocolate and/or chips every single day. I just stay within my calorie limits.

Message me if you have any questions. There's too much to put in a message board post.

Keep fighting!!

KB

Thanks for posting! It's uplifting to hear your story :)
    Thanks,
    Cris

• cbaldridge76
    Options
    Day 10:
    • Date: 11/07/2015
    • Weight: 237.5
    • Waist 41 inch.
    • Yesterday was my cheat day that NS gives you. Gained a 1/2 pound. Maybe its the scale :neutral:
  • amyr271
    amyr271 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Day 10:
    • Date: 11/07/2015
    • Weight: 237.5
    • Waist 41 inch.
    • Yesterday was my cheat day that NS gives you. Gained a 1/2 pound. Maybe its the scale :neutral:

No, your weight will naturally go up and down, especially if you've eaten more than usual the previous day. It will go, but you also can't expect for the scale to only go down.
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    I have to comment. What cheat day does nutrisystem give you? They must have really changed the program for people just signing up.
  • xKoalaBearx
    xKoalaBearx Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    OhMsDiva wrote: »
    I have to comment. What cheat day does nutrisystem give you? They must have really changed the program for people just signing up.

I don't recall cheat days as part of the program either... but I'm in support of it.... for those that can handle it.
  • cbaldridge76
    Options
    Day 17:
    • 11/14/2015
    • Weight: 234.4
    • didn't measure today...lost the tape?/?
  • cbaldridge76
    Options
    Only updating on Saturday's now......
  • m2marsh
    m2marsh Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Yesterday Meal:
    Breakfast Muffin: 150 cal.
    Breakfast Chocolate Shake: 180 cal.
    Lunch White Bean Chili: 180 cal.
    Mid-Afternoon Shake: 180 cal.
    Dinner: Italian Flatbread Pizza: 220 cal.
    Snack: 16oz. baby carrots about 200 cal.
    120 oz. water whole day

Where are the PowerFuels (protein) and SmartCarbs (fruit and grains) that they require you add? You are severely too low in calories. That will eventually cause your weight loss to slow and make you feel lousy. You might want to call NS and talk to a counselor.
  • m2marsh
    Options
    OhMsDiva wrote: »
    LuckyAndi wrote: »
    If you have to add in your own fruits, vegetables, proteins, and carbs, what is left that they send you? Genuine question.
    NS provides the actual meals, breakfast, lunch, dinner, and dessert. Similar to buying lean cuisines as the meal. I would strongly suggest the op join one of the NS groups. During the fast five its really advised that you don't exercise as the calories are very limited. I guess he has not read all the information that he was sent because what he is saying is not how Nutrisystem truly works.

From the Nutrisystem website FAQ section:

Regular physical activity is an important component to lifelong weight management, and overall health and wellness. At Nutrisystem, we encourage our customers to achieve national health recommendations of 150 minutes of moderately intense physical activity each week.
    But with so few calories, you really shouldn't be exercising much. That FAQ assumes you are follwing the NS plan. As a guy, you should be getting in AT LEAST 1500 calories a day. If you were eating that, then exercise is a great addition to your journey. Again, I encourage you to call and talk to them. You won't lose faster by eating too few calories. Your metabolism needs fuel to keep burning the fat.

• m2marsh
    Options
    If you have to add in your own fruits, vegetables, proteins, and carbs, what is left that they send you? Genuine question.
    They send you Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, and Snack entrees. Then you supplement that with some proteins (meat, dairy, nuts) and healthy carbs (fruits, whole grains, legumes). What is cool is that you get a mix of their prepackaged meals, and your own ad-ins that suit your tastes.

• cbaldridge76
    Options
    Sorry, I only get on here on Saturday's. I eat a English muffin with peanut butter....power carbs. I also eat apples twice a day. At dinner I add in green beans, small portions of chicken.
    m2marsh wrote: »
    They send you Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, and Snack entrees. Then you supplement that with some proteins (meat, dairy, nuts) and healthy carbs (fruits, whole grains, legumes). What is cool is that you get a mix of their prepackaged meals, and your own ad-ins that suit your tastes.

• cbaldridge76
    Options
    Day 24:
    • Date: 11/21/2015
    • Weight: 230.2
    • Waist: still haven't found my tape. I noticed my belt notch is changing.
  • xKoalaBearx
    Options
    Day 24:
    • Date: 11/21/2015
    • Weight: 230.2
    • Waist: still haven't found my tape. I noticed my belt notch is changing.

15 lbs in 24 days... it's moving rapidly! Congrats!
  • TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    m2marsh wrote: »
    Yesterday Meal:
    Breakfast Muffin: 150 cal.
    Breakfast Chocolate Shake: 180 cal.
    Lunch White Bean Chili: 180 cal.
    Mid-Afternoon Shake: 180 cal.
    Dinner: Italian Flatbread Pizza: 220 cal.
    Snack: 16oz. baby carrots about 200 cal.
    120 oz. water whole day

Where are the PowerFuels (protein) and SmartCarbs (fruit and grains) that they require you add? You are severely too low in calories. That will eventually cause your weight loss to slow and make you feel lousy. You might want to call NS and talk to a counselor.

Dang, dude...this. That's only 1,110 and you're a male who weighs over 200 lbs. MFP suggests 1,200 calories minimum and I doubt they'd recommend that for you especially if you're exercising. I'm thrilled you are seeing results but please be careful with how you are doing it.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Is this bordering on a being a VLCD diet and against the forum TOS? Not sure a public forum of a man eating 1100 calories a AND exercise should be left open for lurkers to see.
  • xKoalaBearx
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Yeah, I didn't notice that. That's way too few calories. I think 1500-1800 cal per day minimum would be safer... and enjoyable.
  • cbaldridge76
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Hello all, thanks for the comments and concerns. I added up all my meals
    Breakfast: 180 cal. ( N/S Meal)
    Snack: English Muffin with peanut butter (power fuel/smart carb.) 200 cal.
    Lunch: 220 cal. ( N/S Meal)
    Lunch: 220 cal. (power fuel/ smart carb) 2 string cheese & apple
    Snack: 200 cal. (N/S Meal)
    Dinner: 250 cal. ( N/S Meal)
    Dinner: Veggies 150 cal.
    Dessert: 200 cal. ( N/S Meal)

I am eating around 1650 to 1700 calories a day.

I do drink around 200 oz. water per day too.