Help! I DON'T like water :(

Options
13»

Replies

• Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    I hate water too. I enjoy lemon in my water and that seems to help me get over my hatred of water.

When you say hate is that just an exaggeration?

Do you just dislike water or prefer other drinks or do you actually hate water?
  • blkandwhite77
    blkandwhite77 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I use to think I hated water too. Nope I just enjoyed diet soda (insert any drink here) more. Sure, I'm still picky. My water has to be ice cold and I have to use a straw (maybe it fools my brain into thinking I'm sipping a fountain soda who knows) but I realize now nope I don't water.
    Don't get me wrong I would still rather sip on some pop but I'd rather eat fudge all day too doesn't mean I need to give in to my silly wants.

P.S.
    I'm so making fudge for Christmas but darn it I won't eat it all!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I add 250ml of cranberry juice to my 1.5L bottle of water. I also have a filter fitted to my tap. I hate unfiltered tap water :confounded:
  • MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I really don't understand how people dislike of water...it's like saying you dislike oxygen. It doesn't make sense to me, not trying to be snarky. I drink two cups of coffee and a cup of green tea in the morning - the rest of the day it's plain water, doesn't matter if it's room temp or cold.

Sincere question - what don't you like about water?

OP - you're not losing weight because your not eating at a deficit. You have to burn more calories than you consume. I recommend weighing all your food, only use cups/spoons for liquids - everything needs to be weighed on a scale. If you exercise and log it into MFP, don't eat all of those calories back. MFP overestimates calories burned imo. Try eating 25% - 75% of those back. I personally eat 50% of my calories back. If your concerned about eating when you're actually thirsty, drink something first before you eat. It doesn't necessarily have to be water, though I wouldn't recommend something high in calories or sugar.
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I'm one of those that doesn't like water. It isn't just water, but drinking a lot if anything makes me feel queasy. Also, having to go to the bathroom often is disruptive.

I have a cup of tea nearby and take tiny sips over time. Some days I may only have one cup, but I rarely feel thirsty. I've been warned that not taking enough fluids isn't good for me (although I don't know exactly why) but I figure lack of thirst is a sign that I'm getting enough additional fluid from foods I eat.
  • kcn2bluesky
    kcn2bluesky Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    RoSiulia wrote: »
    What I think is odd is how the OP responds to every post except the ones telling her she isn't overweight because she's not drinking enough water.

I said that I THINK that the problem would be that.. because often when you are thirsty you think that you are hungry, maybe is my routine, maybe my thyroid, maybe the stress, maybe the poor choice of meals. But I do not eat junk foods and I do not drink sodas..

Ok, thank you for clarifying what you meant with your original post! I have heard and read that some people can confuse thirst for hunger, so if that is applicable to you, this makes sense. As many other folks have now posted, there are lots of ways to get fluid into your body besides drinking water if that just doesn't appeal to you. I drink water all day long, but I get that not everyone is like that. You have to figure out what works for you, and if your goal is weight loss, then find a way to get the fluids without adding unnecessary calories as well.

Good luck to you!
    Karen
  • RoSiulia
    RoSiulia Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I know that there are even other factors that are influencing
    I really don't understand how people dislike of water...it's like saying you dislike oxygen. It doesn't make sense to me, not trying to be snarky. I drink two cups of coffee and a cup of green tea in the morning - the rest of the day it's plain water, doesn't matter if it's room temp or cold.

OP - you're not losing weight because your not eating at a deficit. You have to burn more calories than you consume. I recommend weighing all your food, only use cups/spoons for liquids - everything needs to be weighed on a scale. If you exercise and log it into MFP, don't eat all of those calories back. MFP overestimates calories burned imo. Try eating 25% - 75% of those back. I personally eat 50% of my calories back. If your concerned about eating when you're actually thirsty, drink something first before you eat. It doesn't necessarily have to be water, though I wouldn't recommend something high in calories or sugar.

Hi and thank you for answering x the thing I don't like about water is just the plain odd taste and sometimes the tap water smells like bleach and I can't handle it. I tried with lemon but I'm not a fan and sweetness just make more thirsty. It seems that the thing I like the most is plain unsweetened green tea :)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Yep, straight tap water is terrible :sick:
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I have a very simple solution for you. Double your intake of tea. Tea is flavoured water and as long as you aren't adding sugar and milk, it does not add calories. It does not dehydrate you. It is as good as plain water.

You can sip tea even if you aren't that thirsty and you will gradually get used to drinking more.

While you are at it, I suggest you log all your food intake for a week just to see how much you are really eating.
  • RoSiulia
    edited November 2015
    Options
    What I think is odd is how the OP responds to every post except the ones telling her she isn't overweight because she's not drinking enough water.

I said that I THINK that the problem would be that.. because often when you are thirsty you think that you are hungry, maybe is my routine, maybe my thyroid, maybe the stress, maybe the poor choice of meals. But I do not eat junk foods and I do not drink sodas..

Ok, thank you for clarifying what you meant with your original post! I have heard and read that some people can confuse thirst for hunger, so if that is applicable to you, this makes sense. As many other folks have now posted, there are lots of ways to get fluid into your body besides drinking water if that just doesn't appeal to you. I drink water all day long, but I get that not everyone is like that. You have to figure out what works for you, and if your goal is weight loss, then find a way to get the fluids without adding unnecessary calories as well.

Good luck to you!
    Karen

Thank you Karen for your support and I do apologise for not pointing that idea in my original post. :) i will try to eat more vegetables and juicy fruits to see how it goes.Sometimes I just feel dehydrated even if I go for a walk or a jog I keep feeling my mouth dry and my first instinct is to drink till I feel good and it is quite uncomfortable to have the stomach full of water bouncing from left to right while you are running, reason why I've posted on here.
    Good luck :D
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Try sipping instead of guzzling. My medical team insists I drink enough so I have a regimen that includes a glass of water before breakfast, a cup of tea in the morning, and a water bottle that I sip all day at work. I finish with another glass of fizzy water in the evening.

I don't get that sloshy feeling because I'm taking in small amounts all day.
  • RoSiulia
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I have a very simple solution for you. Double your intake of tea. Tea is flavoured water and as long as you aren't adding sugar and milk, it does not add calories. It does not dehydrate you. It is as good as plain water.

You can sip tea even if you aren't that thirsty and you will gradually get used to drinking more.

While you are at it, I suggest you log all your food intake for a week just to see how much you are really eating.

Thank you very much for the advice. I will drink more tea now as I feel comfortable doing so :)
    Hope you'll enjoy the rest of your evening! :)
  • MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I know that there are even other factors that are influencing

Hi and thank you for answering x the thing I don't like about water is just the plain odd taste and sometimes the tap water smells like bleach and I can't handle it. I tried with lemon but I'm not a fan and sweetness just make more thirsty. It seems that the thing I like the most is plain unsweetened green tea :)

OMG - yes - I thought I was the only one put off from the chlorine smell in tap water. I hate it. I have a water dispenser that does the 5 gallon jugs, but I really want to get a filtration system for the house. I really don't like taking showers in our tap water - aside from the chlorine I feel like it's just really off. There's no way I would drink it lol.
  • rockstarjosh
    rockstarjosh Posts: 6 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Thank you for all the answers I will try the MIO flavourings and see how it goes :)

You are not solving the problem, only enabling yourself to work around the problem. You not liking water is a weakness, and the only way to turn a weakness into a strength is to find out why it is a weakness.

If you are okay with jumping bandaid brands when the current one wears off, then go ahead. However, the problem will still be there when those exciting options run out.

Human psychology 101
  • rockstarjosh
    rockstarjosh Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Yep, straight tap water is terrible :sick:

Lol. My gf says the same thing. I can drink tap from anywhere I have been. I dont know if I have dimmed tastebuds, an appreciation for a depleting resource, or if I am just a man about it, but I can handle tap quite well, speaking from the desert.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    sijomial wrote: »
    You don't have to drink plain water to stay hydrated. Drink more tea if you like it.

But really doubt the reason you are overweight is not drinking enough water - much more likely to be because you ate too much food.

Yup

Yep
  • 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the answers I will try the MIO flavourings and see how it goes :)

You are not solving the problem, only enabling yourself to work around the problem. You not liking water is a weakness, and the only way to turn a weakness into a strength is to find out why it is a weakness.

If you are okay with jumping bandaid brands when the current one wears off, then go ahead. However, the problem will still be there when those exciting options run out.

Human psychology 101

I am very weak then. There are many foods and drinks that do not taste appealing to me.

I didn't like the taste of water until we moved to a house that is on a well instead of municipal water.

I have given up on trying to get a specific amount of water daily. I have a diet coke to wake up and then drink water as I get thirsty. Sometimes it's a lot and others I barely have anything to drink. I don't think it is doing anything positive or negative for my weight loss. I do not drink anything with calories as I don't want to spend calories on a drink at this point.

I am going to try the water flavorings. Nice to have variety.

Years ago I read that if you don't drink enough water while dieting, you could get gallstones. Not sure if that's true.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options

Human psychology 101

I don't see the problem.
  • juliebowman4
    juliebowman4 Posts: 784 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I don't like water either......
    Lucky for folks like us, all liquids count as hydrating, not just plain old water.

I've added flavourings to my water to make it more like juice (crystal lite).
    And not liking water isn't a 'weakness'.....it's a preference.
    Sheesh