Weight loss supplement that works???

Options
I try to stay at 1300 calories a day and work out 5 days a week religiously....at least 45 minutes of cardio, and some weight training. I weigh and measure my food. I'm starting to feel a bit ripped off for the work I'm doing. I'm losing weight very slowly. Is there a supplement that actually works??? I don't want to stop working out or any of that nonsense, I'd just like to make a bit more progress. I don't want to lose motivation.

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Diet and exercise is all I can come up with for you. Over the counter pills and potions are a waste of money.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I like to start my day with some coffee for the caffeine jolt but what @christine297 states is the truth. Trust the process.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,547 Member
    Options
    Supplements DON'T burn any significant fat. They may help with appetite control, but that would also mean relying on them rather then creating a habitual behavior on your own.
    If weight loss is slow for you, then that's how it is. Sometimes under eating or too high of a calorie deficit will slow down metabolic rate reducing rate of loss. It's called homeostasis.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Obnoxa
    Obnoxa Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Nope. We'd all know about it/use it if there were.
    We didn't gain it in a day and we won't lose it in one, unfortunately :/
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    honest truth. If such a product existed it would be all over the news, and in the forums instead of buried on late night tv adverts and page 36 of magazines.
    I often hoped for the same thing. I have to tell you, the months fly by and soon you will be amazed at where you are. Just be patient.
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    What is very slowly? If you are close to a. good weight then a half pound per week may be a pretty good goal. I was 200+ pounds overweight. After 23 months at just a bit more than 1 pound per week I'm down 115 pounds. In another couple of years I'll get to where I want to be. After 25 years of getting fat I'm not going to lose it quickly.

Also as I get more active I'm developing more muscle. Muscle is more dense than fat. So? I still need to add the muscle mass for health as much as I need to lose weight.
  • SLDB68
    SLDB68 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Well after successfully dieting for some time I'm down to 195 from 240. Im 5'6". If I'm not seriously hard core and watch every single thing I put in my mouth I'm stuck in maintenance. I mean I use mfp so I'm almost never overeating. I even had an unexplainable 3 pound gain one week. That can take me a month to lose! And i somehow put it on in 1 week. Wth!?!?
  • queenliz99
    Options
    Normal everyday water weight fluctuations.
  • VisofSer
    VisofSer Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    For the ones that work, if you ask you are not prepared to use them safely.
    If you wear a weighted vest for 4+ hours a day, preferably one at least 10lbs, and keep your activity at the same level, you can gain a small boost. This boost would be equivalent to the weight of the vest vs your body weight and the length of time you wear it each day. Do not sleep in it.
  • SLDB68
    Options
    Interesting idea! Where might I find a weighted vest?
  • SLDB68
    Options
    I'm definitely not opposed to working hard but 1.5 hours at the gym is about all I can invest in a day. I already feel like it's taking over my life.
  • queenliz99
    Options
    I see you have lost 38 pounds, way to go!! You know as you get closer to your goal the weight comes off even slower. You just have to keep plugging away.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    You've lost 38 pounds, WTG! You don't need a supplement. If you're frustrated with your rate of loss, you need to look to your logging. You have a lot of generic items and cups in there, they're inaccurate. Also days that are not logged, are you eating these days or taking a day off?
  • morgancs21
    morgancs21 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    SLDB68 wrote: »
    Well after successfully dieting for some time I'm down to 195 from 240. Im 5'6". If I'm not seriously hard core and watch every single thing I put in my mouth I'm stuck in maintenance. I mean I use mfp so I'm almost never overeating. I even had an unexplainable 3 pound gain one week. That can take me a month to lose! And i somehow put it on in 1 week. Wth!?!?

You have ready lost 38lbs and that is amazing!!! You may just need to re work your meal plan and your workout. My ex who was a personal trainer and certified nutritionist would tell his customers that bodies adjust to the same routine after a while and we hit a plateau. Possibly may be able to try a carb load one day to throw your body off and then keep going again.
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    None

95069916.png
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,767 Member
    Options
    I bet the OP who is whining about losing weight "slowly" is actually losing at a perfectly healthy and reasonable weight but simply has unrealistic expectations and is expecting Biggest Loser-style losses.
  • VisofSer
    VisofSer Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    SLDB68 wrote: »
    Interesting idea! Where might I find a weighted vest?

The simplest place would be Amazon. The budget range is quite large depending on the weight, brand and quality you go for. As a general rule, get one that has adjustable weight slots, a belt strap as well as shoulder straps, and if possible find a local fitness store or gym and try them on.

Do have perspective on this as well. Good weight loss is 1-2 pounds per week. Unless you are severely obese, actual fat loss exceeding 2lbs a week is going to be difficult, and more importantly, more likely to be water or muscle loss instead of fat.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    You've done fantastically well. Use of supplements is unnecessary (take it from someone who has tried a large percentage available, they don't work). Keep doing what you're doing, stay strong and save your money for more worthwhile things (like tasty food!)
  • siluridae
    siluridae Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    There is one such drug, it also kills people by burning them to death. Would not recommend.
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    Alli actually has evidence to prove it works and is a less potent version of a prescription drug. However, it really trains you how to eat because if you eat too high of fat you will end up with poop in your pants. No joke. It has chemical components to prevent lipids from being taken up into your system but the side effects are horrendous. People report leaky stool and other very unpleasant and embarassing bowel symptoms. Slow and steady is definitely the way to go.