Anyone tried Carb blockers?

Options

Replies

• kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    If you feel that carbs are the issue wouldn't it just be easier to not eat them? Supplements like this don't work, are a waste of money, and typically cause your body more harm than good.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Studies show that the substance you are looking at helps with weight loss, provided that it is taken in daily doses of 500mg - 3,000mg. It still needs to be combined with an appropriate diet and exercise program, but increases weight loss by 29% on average compared to a placebo (see 1st study linked below).

Here are two scientific articles, one of which is actually a review of several studies (i.e. secondary research). You might consider reviewing the original studies referenced.

If you are in the U.S., keep in mind that supplements have very little control and oversight while prescription medications must prove they work in order to get FDA approval. So while it may not be 50% off, it would be better from a quality control standpoint to actually obtain similar substances in prescription form (acarbose or miglitol). Having said that, I doubt any reputable dr. will prescribe them without a medical need (these are sometimes prescribed for type 2 diabetes). Instead, your dr. will tell you that you can lose weight without a prescription... which is true.

http://www.altmedrev.com/publications/9/1/63.pdf

http://www.biomedcentral.com/content/pdf/1475-2891-10-24.pdf
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    Sinead1819 wrote: »
    what does everyone eat instead? Probably wont be able to cut out entirely because financially they are some of the cheapest meals for our family but breakfast/lunch time might be able to cut out :)

You don't have to cut them out entirely...just cut back...drink plenty of water.

Sodium...as I said before...also causes water retention...thus bloating. Drinking water will help flush it from your system. Again...you don't have to eliminate all sodium (nor do I advise that) but the week before your trip just cut back on high sodium foods.
  • Sinead1819
    Sinead1819 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the links :) I'm in the UK
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    Tried them. Got nasty painful and foul gas. No weight loss just embarrassement at work

• krithsai
    krithsai Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    what does everyone eat instead? Probably wont be able to cut out entirely because financially they are some of the cheapest meals for our family but breakfast/lunch time might be able to cut out :)

Eggs! You can buy eggs for cheap. Oatmeal isn't particularly expensive - add in a dash of milk and the cheapest seasonal fruit you can find. I sometimes eat an apple with 2 tbsp of peanut butter.
  • umayster
    umayster Posts: 651 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

Proteins and fats.

Why 'take' carbs, then take carb blockers? That costs more money than simply eating the food that doesn't make you feel bad.

You can get all the nutrients you need eating very low carb.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Some are on 50% off atm and my logic is if they dont work its no big loss, but has anyone tried them? Do they work?

Its white kidney bean extract

Waste of money.

Anything that promises to block anything is just trying to grab your money.

If they don't work it is a big loss if you buy them anyway just to see if they do work. Just walk past that display and eat at a calorie deficit and you will lose weight.

Oh, if you want to eat low carb, do so, but it's preferenece only. They have some low carb groups here.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Some are on 50% off atm and my logic is if they dont work its no big loss, but has anyone tried them? Do they work?

Its white kidney bean extract

So white kidney beans ..100g = 24g protein and 60g carbs

And they take this carb and use it block carbs right?

Hmmmm....

Next up how to build a wall with lettuce
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    The pill referred to is called Alli. It's available by prescription only and it blocks some of the fat by shooting it uncontrollably out of your rectum, instead. Joyous! :)

I have heard this about alli ...I think it's OTC here
  • Sinead1819
    Options
    If people would like to refrain from the judgey, sarky comments you will realise that I have got a brain and have already taken my feedback from that perspective, thank you ;)
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    If people would like to refrain from the judgey, sarky comments you will realise that I have got a brain and have already taken my feedback from that perspective, thank you ;)

You've used forums before I imagine
  • Sinead1819
    Options
    Indeed I have, but prefer the ones that enable original post editing so that people can actually see immediately that I get that they don't work xD
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Yup

Lots of us play thread bingo

Read the OP, respond, then read up

And bingo ...saying the same stuff as others, cracking the same jokes
  • Sinead1819
    Options
    Right got it, don't work xD

Anyone got any tips that help them? (thanks for those above ^ :) )

I'll just quote it down from the top of the page so others can see. Constructive tips welcome.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »

You don't have to cut them out entirely...just cut back...drink plenty of water.

Sodium...as I said before...also causes water retention...thus bloating. Drinking water will help flush it from your system. Again...you don't have to eliminate all sodium (nor do I advise that) but the week before your trip just cut back on high sodium foods.

This^

Lifestyle changes. If you cut out most carbs to lose weight.....what does maintenance look like? I hate to be "Debbie downer" but losing weight is just step 1.
  • Sinead1819
    Options
    Its all so difficult xD and confusing! Mainly confusing
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

What is confusing?
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

That's the thing. It's really not. People come in thinking it's confusing, but really, it's only confusing because it's SOOOO simple. Eat less than you burn and you will lose weight. Food quality is of little matter. Now, you want to be healthy, eat a balance diet. You will inherently cut down on unneeded calories if you strive to make nutrition a priority. That doesn't mean cutting out all "junk" food. That means focus on getting your nutrition while leaving room for the things you love as well.

All of these gimmicks do not work. And if they do, it is minimal, and the cons most likely outweigh the pros. If they worked, there wouldn't be fat people in the world.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options
    This goes for the OP as well as anyone else, send me whatever carbs you don't want. I'll take them off your hands for free.